World Languages Update
February 12, 2016
Reminder: Mid-Year ASW for Level 1
French teachers and Butler Spanish will meet March 2 (Jenny Rath's room at Butler).
Prior to ASW Meeting:
- Please be sure you have administered and graded the assessment at least 2 days prior to our meeting. This will help us stay within our norms to focus on the task at hand--the ASW.
- Enter your scores into the mid-year Google form prior to coming.
- Please make a copy of the ASW form and share commenting rights with me. Step 1 should be completed prior to coming.
During the ASW Meeting:
- You will complete the rest of the steps during the ASW.
- Be prepared to discuss the reading strategy(s) you modeled (I Do) and scaffolded to guide students (We Do) to help them Explain Their Thinking independently (You Do).
- Implement next steps based on data and your discussion
**For more info, please refer to the checklist below (also in our calendar invites)**
ACTFL Proficiency Training
ACTFL Proficiency Training Summer Institute at 3 Locations
This summer's institute features three exciting programs:
OPI Assessment Workshop (4 Days)
Brigham Young University
June 7-10, 2016
Sessions available: Chinese, English, French, German, Spanish, Japanese, Russian, and Spanish
The Ohio State University
July 25-28, 2016
Sessions available: Arabic, English/Mixed languages, French, and Spanish
The ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) Assessment Workshop is a four-day professional development workshop designed to introduce language educators to the Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI), the ACTFL rating scale, and the techniques for conducting and rating oral proficiency interviews. In daily plenary presentations, participants address general concepts and strategies for oral proficiency testing. This information is then reinforced and practiced in language-specific break-out sessions by observing model interviews, participating in hands-on rating activities, and conducting and rating live practice interviews. These practice interviews and ratings are discussed and critiqued in the language-specific groups.
Following the workshop, eligible participants may pursue Limited or Full OPI Tester Certification (must have Superior level proficiency to apply).
MOPI Assessment Workshop (2 Days)
Glastonbury High School
July 18-19, 2016
Sessions available: English/Mixed languages, French, and Spanish
The ACTFL Modified OPI (MOPI) Workshop is an intensive two-day introduction to the techniques of administering and rating the Oral Proficiency Interview at the Novice and Intermediate levels. The rating scale and techniques for eliciting a ratable sample are highlighted in daily plenary sessions and then reinforced in language-specific break-out sessions. Participants have the opportunity to observe live demonstration interviews conducted by their trainer. Under the trainer’s supervision, they then conduct their own practice interviews with volunteer candidates.
Following the workshop, eligible participants may pursue Limited OPI Tester Certification (must have Advanced Mid level proficiency to apply).