West Side Story 2.0
Thursday, October 13th, 2016
Monday, Oct. 17th 2016 at 3:30pm
1351 South Riverfront Drive
Fall semester Parent-Teacher Conferences are scheduled for Monday, October 17 from 3:30pm to 7:30pm. Conferences are a great opportunity for families to visit with teachers in classrooms and discuss learning activities and the progress of their student(s). Reviewing your student’s current grades and academic progress in advance using the Parent Portal is recommended.
So that families can plan in advance, teachers will be released for a dinner break and will not be available for conferencing at the following times:
5:00-5:30 – 2nd floor
5:30-6:00 – 3rd floor
6:00-6:30 – 1st floor & Annex
In addition to conferencing with teachers, the “College Goal,” “College Information Meeting” and “Cultivating Change” events described below are also available for families on October 17th.
College Information Meeting:
A College Information meeting for parents and students will be held from 5:00-5:45pm in the West cafeteria. Information regarding West High School graduation requirements, academic standing as it relates to college acceptance, post-secondary options which include 2-year and 4-year college programs, public and private college options, competitive admissions processes, and other college-related information will be covered. We will also preview “College Knowledge Day,” an event held in the West High School Media Center on October 25th.
College Goal Event
Monday, Oct. 17th 2016 at 6pm
1351 South Riverfront Drive
WHO: Both students and parents must attend if they want to complete their FAFSA with the help of a college financial aid professional.
*Both parents and students need to bring their 2015 taxes in order to complete the FAFSA.
CONTACT: If you have questions about this event, contact Stephanie Ottmar at 507-207-3911.
Cultivating Change - A United Way Event
Monday, Oct. 17th 2016 at 6:30pm
Lincoln Community Center, 110 Fulton Street, Mankato, MN
The Greater Mankato Area United Way will be hosting a forum entitled "Cultivating Change: What Teens, Parents and Everyone Should Know About Sexual Exploitation in Our Community." Greater Mankato Area United Way’s "Cultivating Change" forum is aimed at educating our community about sexual exploitation such as sex trafficking and how we can work together to prevent it. The event will be held at Lincoln Community Center Auditorium (110 Fulton Street, Mankato) and begins at 6:30pm. The event is free and open to the public, and is recommended for ages 12 and over.
College Knowledge Day
Tuesday, Oct. 25th 2016 at 8:15am
1351 South Riverfront Drive
- Station 1: Career Options --The first station will give students information about career options (college, work, military) for anyone who is uncertain which path to take after high school.
- Station 2: College Applications & Transcript Requests -- The second station will be in the mac lab. Students who are ready to apply for college and request their transcript will be able to do so with the support of admissions officers from area colleges and West staff.
- Station 3: "I Applied!" Poster -- Lastly, students who have already applied to college are encouraged to sign our “I Applied” poster and will receive an “I Applied” bracelet.
Sophomores and Juniors are encouraged to attend the MACAC College Fair at Minnesota State University, Mankato from 12:00pm-1:30pm in the Myers Field House. Students can pre-register at www.gotocollegefairs.com
Additional resources connected to College Knowledge Month can be accessed at:
College Knowledge Month Calendar:
College Knowledge Site for Students:
List of Colleges Offering Free Applications in Minnesota:
We are looking forward to another successful series of events here at Mankato West! Please help spread the word to students about the events listed in this document. If you have any questions, please see Amanda Bomstad in the Counseling Center.
Furniture for Flood Families
Recent flooding in Southern Minnesota has had a major impact on communities and families. In an effort to step in and lend a hand, Mankato Area Public Schools is supporting a “Furniture for Flood Families” initiative alongside several other community organizations. Families and community members are encouraged to donate your well cared for furniture for those recovering from recent flood losses. Furniture drop off days are October 22 & 29 from 8:00am - 2:00pm at the Madison East Center parking lot, on the north side of the lot at the intersection of Adams Street and Victory Drive.
For more information contact Scott Kelly at email@example.com
Please no mattresses, bedding, appliances or electronics.
Coming Soon: Other Important Dates
- Monday, October 17th @ 6:00-8:00pm [West Media Center]: Mankato West College Goal Event
- Wednesday, October 19th @ 7:30am [Mankato West Gym]: PSAT/NMSQT
- Tuesday, November 15th @ 8:00am - 12:00pm: Ag Day
College Visits: Representatives from the following colleges and universities will meet in the Counseling Center on the following dates.
- Hamline University: Monday, October 17th @ 12:00pm
- St. Mary's University: Wednesday, October 19th @ 12:00pm
- University of MN (Crookston): Monday, November 7th @ 12:00pm
- Augustana University: Tuesday, November 8th @ 10:00am
- St. Catherine University: Wednesday, November 9th @ 11:30am
- South Dakota State University: Tuesday, November 15th @9:00am
- Minnesota State University (Mankato): Wednesday, November 16th @ 9:00am