James A. Garfield Family Bulletin
Cleveland Metropolitan School District, November, 2019
Garfield Family Corner
I'm excited at the opportunity to communicate with each of you through our new monthly Garfield Family Bulletin being sent to more than 320 Garfield family email addresses. Each month's bulletin will include family resources, reminders, upcoming activities and more. During Parent Teacher Conferences on Wednesday, we offered a new way to sign in when attending Garfield's family events. Over 200 families registered more than 330 students on the iPads. Each family was also entered into a drawing to win a $25 Amazon gift card and the winner is Maria Elena Nieves!
Throughout quarter one, students were introduced to a new curriculum for Reading and Math called Wit & Wisdom and Eureka. These highly rated, researched based programs will help ensure we meet our school goals of increasing reading and math proficiency this year. Links to family resources can be found below and I encourage everyone to take a look to see what is expected of our kids this school year.
I look forward to discovering new, innovative ways to communicate with our kids, families and the community. If you have any questions, please respond to this email and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. As Principal, your kids are now my kids and their safety, education and wellbeing is my top priority. Thank you for welcoming me with open arms and I look forward to serving you alongside our new administrator, Mr. Martin, for many years to come.
Proud Principal, James A. Garfield
Upcoming Garfield Events
10/25/19: 2nd Grade Zoo Field Trip
10/28/19 - 11/1/19: Spirit Week!
- Monday: Crazy Hat Day
- Tuesday: Jersey Day or Sport Shirt Day
- Wednesday: Wacky Wednesday
- Thursday: Garfield Spirit Wear
- Friday: Book Character Day
10/29/19: 3rd-5th Grade Orchestra Field Trip
11/5/19: No School for Students
11/6/19: Picture Retake Day
11/6/19: Kindergarten & OLEPA Family Night: 5:30p - 7:00pm
11/7/19: 3rd Grade Field Trip to Botanical Gardens
11/8/19: Parent Meeting (PAC), 10:30a - 11:30a
11/11/19: No School for Students or Staff - Veterans' Day
11/15/19: 4th Grade Field Trip to Hale Farms
11/20/19: Family Paint Night, 5:00pm - 7:00pm (First 50 Admitted)
11/25/19: Quarter II Progress Reports Mailed Home
11/27/19 - 11/29/19: Thanksgiving Break
Curriculum Resources: Ask your child each night what they're learning in class today. Below are resources for our two new curricula with tips and family resources.
- CMSD Outpaces Many Districts in Growth
- 12 CMSD Schools Make Healthiest Schools List (including Garfield!)
- Please have your kids in dress code each day. The district dress code policy can be found here. In addition, kids can wear Garfield apparel and school colors (red and blue). If assistance is needed with school uniforms, we're here to help! Click here and we can provide assistance.
- Student should not be picked up after 3:15pm unless in an emergency. This is to assist with the staff preparing for dismissal.
- When picking up students at dismissal, please remember that pickup is in the back of the school for K-8 (preK in the front). Students will not be permitted to be picked up in the bus lanes during dismissal to ensure student safety and please avoid parking in neighboring business' parking lots.