The Greene Devil Weekly News
January 10-14, 2022
Message from Mrs. Adams
I hope you enjoyed your long weekend and stayed warm! I would like to introduce you to an important focus for GMS students beginning this week. Each week during this semester our teachers will focus on an important academic vocabulary word. They will provide consistent and meaningful exposure to this word in all content areas and disciplines. I would like to invite to join our focus and use the word at home, too! Look for each week's Academic Vocabulary Word in this weekly newsletter!
What is academic vocabulary?
Academic vocabulary includes words used in academic dialogue and texts. It does not include words students use in general conversation, but academic vocabulary relates to other familiar words that students do use. For example, rather than using the simple verb watch, an academic term would be observe.
Why focus on academic vocabulary?
Academic vocabulary words help students understand oral directions and classroom instructions as well as comprehend text across different subject areas.
Thank you for your continued support of GMS,
Mrs. Rachel Adams
GMS Information and Announcements
SAVE THE DATE...GMS Winter Dance will be Thursday, January 27th!
Where: GMS Commons
More details coming soon!
Tennessee Jump$tart Personal Finance Music Video Contest
The Tennessee Jump$tart Personal Finance Music Video Contest is designed to give Tennessee students in grades K-12 the opportunity to use their creativity to share their personal finance knowledge through music. Contest entrants will record a music video in which they will share a personal finance-focused message.
- Create a song about personal finance!
- Record the song performance using your mobile device or other video recording system (essentially, create a music video).
- The music video must be 1 minute or less in length.
- Individual or team videos are allowed, though team size is limited to 5 students.
- Up to 2 entries per person allowed (you can appear in up to 2 videos).
- Submission period:
- Monday, Nov. 15, 2021 - Friday, Feb. 11, 2022
- Voting period dates:
- Monday, Feb. 14, 2022 - Monday, Feb. 28, 2022
- Finalists notified:
- Tuesday, March 1, 2022
Clubs NOW Available for Students
- BOOK CLUB- Join our GMS Book Club sponsored by Ms. Herrell and Mrs. Watkins. We will meet on Tuesday and Thursday mornings in Mrs. Watkins’s Room from 7:00 a.m.-7:30 a.m.
- FELLOWSHIP OF CHRISTIAN ATHLETES (FCA)- Sponsored by Dr. Click every Friday at 7:15 in Dr. Click's classroom. Wait for the announcement before heading there.
- GEOGRAPHY & CHESS CLUB- Sponsored by Mrs. Monroe every Wednesday at 7:00 AM in Mrs. Monroe's classroom!
- Motivational Sketching Club- Wednesdays in Mrs. Moorman's classroom at 7:00 AM.
- Student Lighthouse Team- The GMS Student Lighthouse Team will meet each Wednesday at 7:00.
Online Yearbook Cost Increase Coming Soon!
The cost for for yearbooks will increase by $3.99 after January 14, 2022. Order your yearbook now and save money!
Deadline: April 2, 2021
What's Up At GMS This Week?
- Report Cards (Email)
- Girls BB @ TN Middle
- Boys BB @ GMS vs. TN Middle @ 6:00 (JV), 7:00 (V)
- 8th Grade Night for Wrestling and Cross Country between JV and V games
- Girls BB @ GMS vs. T.A. Dugger @ 6:00 (JV), 7:00 (V)
- Boys BB @ T.A. Dugger
- 8th Grade Night for Girls Basketball & Cheer
- No School/ Martin Luther King Day
Find all events at https://gms.gcschools.net/apps/events/
All GMS home athletic events will utilize Go Fan for ticket purchases.
Other Resources, Links, & Reminders
REMINDER- No Office Check Outs Between 2:00-3:00
- Arrive before 2:00 for all early dismissals.