OAISD Health and Physical Education
Fall, 2023 Newsletter
OAISD Health and Physical Education Mission Statement
*If needed, please see accessibility options to the right.
NEW 23-24 Health and Physical Education Trainings
Physical Education Recharged
Friday, Oct. 6th, 8:30-11:30am
Grand Valley State University
Contact List for Health and Physical Education Teachers
IT'S A SURVEY ADMISTRATION YEAR!!
Are your districts participating in a survey administration this year? Local youth data is so important to help schools and community organizations make data-driven decisions to improve prevention and health promotion programming .Ottawa County? Check out the YAS website soon for details on the new survey that will be distributed in October of 2023. (updates to website coming soon).
Allegan County? Check out this MiPHY Newsletter.
New Law on Student Consent and Sexual Assault
MDE has until June of 2024 to develop the material in consultation with experts and advocates. - Bridge Michigan
MDHHS Releases Tobacco-Free Report Card for K-12 Schools
Tobacco-free school and cessation resources can be found at Michigan.gov/Tobacco.
National Health Education Standards
Michigan Model for Health
- The preK-12 MMH curriculum addresses CASEL's Social Emotional Learning Competencies and the Health Education standards. Is SEL a priority in your district? Check out how MMH curriculum aligns with SEL here.
- Curriculum and materials are rich with opportunities to address State Standards in reading and writing.
- Research studies show students that receive the Michigan Model for Health Curriculum have stronger communication skills, better skills in managing their feelings and actions, improved attitudes about taking actions to stay safe and stronger drug and tobacco refusal skills.
- MMH Curriculum is now available digitally - check it out here!
NEW MMH Portal
- MMH continues to evolve to meet the online needs of its health education partners. The MMH portal is a one stop shop for all of our partners with a new landing page and links to the digital curriculum for current users and easy to navigate resources.
Interested in using the MMH in your classroom? Reach out to Stacey Sills to get started.
2023 CASH Conference Save-the-Date
CASH CONFERENCE OVERVIEW: The CASH Conference will address the evolving needs of child and adolescent health professionals by offering emergent and engaging content from leading subject matter experts. Participants will gain practical and innovative strategies for the development and implementation of effective programs, policies, and practices to improve the health, well-being, and resiliency of young people. CASH Conference participants will strengthen their skills, gain valuable information and resources, and connect with others working in this field.
Bal-A-Vis-X Training in Holland
Bal-A-Vis-X = Patterned, repetitive, rhythmic activity is known to calm the stress-response systems
November 4-5, 2023 Holland, Michigan
Presented by MaryAnn Short, MA Sanctioned Bal-A-Vis-X Trainer
Check out the flyer for more details and registration.
S & S Printable September Fitness Calendar
The calendar is a great resource that teachers can share with students or parents can share with their kids and encourage them to stay active during the school year.
S & S teamed up with the Alliance For A Healthier Generation to create this fitness calendar for the month of May, 2023. Here is the link to the download: September 2023 Printable Fitness Challenge Calendar
Students are challenged each day to participate in the activities listed on the calendar. The month of September is officially Back to School time, and we’ve included some basic fitness exercises, yoga poses, plus some brain boost break ideas. Each week, the number of repetitions for each fitness exercise increases. Please keep in mind the number of repetitions is meant as a guide, and can be adapted as needed based on age group and skill level.
On Saturdays, we encourage some outdoor activities to keep kids active over the weekend. As the fall season approaches, have kids toss a football and practice throwing skills, or visit a local orchard and walk through a cornmaze.