Definition of Engineering
According to the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, engineering is the profession in which a knowledge of the mathematical and natural sciences gained by study, experience, and practice is applied with judgment to develop ways to utilize economically the materials and forces of nature for the benefit of mankind.
Definition of Civil Engineering
Civil engineering is the design and construction of public works, such as dams, bridges and other large infrastructure projects.
Comparison of Design Processes
Pugh Chart - Quick and simple design process used to compare design ideas against design criteria
Screening Matrix - A creative process used to create solutions to given criteria in a design.
Responsibilities of Civil Engineers
- To be able to use computer software to plan and design.
- To be able to read and analyze maps, blueprints and photographs to plan projects.
- To be able to help direct construction and perform maintenance on job site.
- Test different substances like concrete, asphalt and steel to determine the strength of a foundation of that material.
- Estimate the number of and cost of the materials, equipment and labor to estimate job likeliness.
Code of Ethic of Civil Engineering
Code of Ethics
- Engineers shall hold paramount the safety, health and welfare of the public and shall strive to comply with the principles of sustainable development in the performance of their professional duties.
- Engineers shall perform services only in areas of their competence.
- Engineers shall issue public statements only in an objective and truthful manner.
- Engineers shall act in professional matters for each employer or client as faithful agents or trustees, and shall avoid conflicts of interest.
- Engineers shall build their professional reputation on the merit of their services and shall not compete unfairly with others.
- Engineers shall act in such a manner as to uphold and enhance the honor, integrity, and dignity of the engineering profession and shall act with zero tolerance for bribery, fraud, and corruption.
- Engineers shall continue their professional development throughout their careers, and shall provide opportunities for the professional development of those engineers under their supervision.
Careers in Civil Engineering
Civil Engineering is separated into 5 categories.
- Environmental Engineers - Remove all contaminates from water, remove pollutants from air and develop groundwater supplies.
- Geotecnical Engineers - Develop projects below ground, determine ways to support structures on and in the ground and develop mixtures for pavement.
- Materials Engineers - Develop concrete for construction and ways to stabilize soil around buildings.
- Structural Engineers - Design structures that can withstand high winds, extreme temperatures, earthquakes and other forces. They also design structures for buildings, bridges, etc.
- Transportation Engineers - Determine ways to meet needs of people and goods that are going to travel over land, water or in the air.
Products of Civil Engineering
- Geotextiles - high strength material that can be used when other materials like polyester can not
- Short-Cut Fibers - used to replace steel fibers in ultra high performance concrete. Less corrosive than other metals.
- FRP rods - used to reinforce concrete structures, Also less corrosive than other metals.
Definition - determining the characteristics unique to your particular market and analyzing this information, which will help you make decisions for your business.