By: Kennedy Knight
The purpose of the American System was to strengthen and unify the nation.It was also an attempt to bring Hamilton's proposals to fruition.
Nationalism Vs. Sectionalism
- a feeling of pride,loyalty and protectiveness toward your country. (Henry Clay was a strong nationalist)
- Loyalty to the interests of your own region or section of the country rather than to the nation as a whole
Key Components of the American System
- the regimenting of high tariffs to protect fledging American industries
- federally supporting ¨internal improvments" in transporation
- the creation of a strong banking system that would make loans available for businessman
Henry Clay: Biography
Henry Clay was born on April 12th,1777 in Hanover County Virginia. Clay worked as a frontier lawyer before becoming a Kentucky senator and then speaker of the House of Representatives. He was secretary of state under John Quincy Adams in the 1820s, later returning to Congress, and pushed for the Compromise of 1850, with overall conflicting stances on race and slavery. He died on June 29, 1852.