We Are Together Tamanend!
January 11, 2019
Thank You for Reading Our Newsletter!
Tamanend Musicians to Perform in the CB Save the Music Concert
The CB Save the Music Concert season is in full swing. This year, Tamanend’s Jazz Band, Chieftain Chorus, and Gold’n’Blues are performing, in addition to some faculty musicians! The concerts are on Jan 25th (7:30 pm) and 26th (3 pm & 7:30 pm) at Holicong Middle School. We’re thrilled to have set a $35,000 goal once again this year in order to support an entire music program for a school in need.
Please consider attending one of the concerts, or enjoying a meal at an upcoming restaurant fundraiser (see above).
Congratulations to our December Boomerang Nominees and Winner
Congratulations to Leah and all the nominees!
Reminder--Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Bucks County Teen Peace and Social Justice Summit
Reminder--Join Us for Kelly Anne Dolan Day at Tamanend on Saturday, February 23!
InC Students Think Out of the Box
Students in Mrs. Jones' InC classes did such a great job presenting their final products for their “Out of the Box” unit. Students had choices to create their own game, sport or product. After they presented, they played their games and sports and a lot of fun! Games included: “Blurp”, “Scribble” and “Yeet Ball”.
Reminder--Program Planning for 2019-2020
Program Planning for the 2019-2020 school year has begun. Program Planning is the process by which students, parents, teachers, and guidance counselors collaborate to create each student's class schedule for the subsequent school year. The Central Bucks Program of Studies, which explains the program planning process and describes all courses, can be found on the CBSD website. Please note that the Program of Studies booklet for Grades 7 & 8 will be available on January 18. The Program of Students booklet for Grade 9-12 will be available on January 4. Please find a list of important dates below related to program planning:
- January 3--Program planning assembly for current 9th Graders
- January 4--Program of Studies booklet for Grades 9-12 available online at www.cbsd.org
- January 10--Central Bucks South Curriculum Fair (for current 9th Graders) 6:30 PM at CB South High School
- January 18--Program of Studies booklet for Grades 7 & 8 available online at www.cbsd.org
- January 18 to February 3--Current 9th Grade students enter course requests at home via Parent Portal
- January 30--Program planning assembly for current 7th Graders
- January 31--Program planning assembly for current 8th Graders
- February 8--Course verification sheets sent home for parents to review for current 7th Graders
- February 13--Course verification sheets returned to Tamanend Guidance Office for current 7th Graders
- February 26--Course verification sheets sent home for parents to review for current 8th Graders
- March 5--Course verification sheets returned to Tamanend Guidance Office for current 8th Graders
Upcoming Events at a Glance
Martin Luther King Jr. Bucks County Teen Peace and Social Justice Summit--Sunday 1/20 4:00 to 7:30 PM at William Tennent High School (see Dr. Caughie to sign up)
Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service--Monday 1/21 School is closed for the holiday; encourage your child to volunteer by clicking here.
CB Save the Music Concerts--Friday, January 25 at 7:30 pm at Holicong Middle School; Saturday, January 26 at 3:00 pm and 7:30 pm at Holicong Middle School
Kelly Anne Dolan Memorial Day & Basketball Fundraiser--Saturday, February 23
Athletic Department Updates
- Congratulations to the 7th and 8th grade girls basketball teams on successful seasons, and good luck to the 8th grade team in the postseason tournament.
- If you are interested in participating in 7th/8th grade BOYS BASKETBALL, there are several specific items (PIAA physical, Family ID, and concussion testing) that need to be completed prior to the start of tryouts which begin this coming Monday, January 14th. Those items are outlined and explained on the Tamanend Athletics web page, which can be found HERE, and were explained at the organizational meeting.
- If you played a Fall sport, your physical is already on file. Therefore you only need to submit Section 7/Recertification of the PIAA physical.
- If you did not play a Fall sport, you must submit Sections 5 & 6 of the PIAA physical.
There has been a change in next week’s tryout schedule for 7th and 8th grade boys basketball. Tryouts will be held on the following schedule:
- Monday, Jan. 14: tryouts from 4:15-6:00
- If you can’t get a ride back to school for tryouts, you are to report to the Cafeteria after school with your homework. You will stay there until the start of the tryout.
- Do not go into the gym while the girls team is practicing. A coach will announce when the gym is open.
- Tuesday, Jan. 15: No 7th/8th Grade boys tryouts
- Wednesday, Jan. 16: tryouts from 2:45-4:45
- Thursday, Jan. 17: tryouts from 2:45-4:45
- Friday, Jan. 18: 7th/8th Grade boys practice from 2:45-4:30
FROM CB SOUTH:
- There will be an interest meeting for all 8th grade Tamanend boys interested in playing football at CB South on Wednesday, January 16th at 6:30 in the Forum room at CB South. Parents and students should plan to attend. Any questions, contact Coach Hetrick (email@example.com).
Athletic Department Schedule
7th/8th Grade boys basketball tryouts (4:15-6:00)
- 8th Grade girls basketball: Postseason tournament vs. Unami (Home; 3:15)
- 9th Grade boys basketball BLUE vs. Lenape (Home; 5:00)
- 9th Grade boys basketball GOLD (at Lenape at 5:00); bus leaves at 4:15
8th Grade girls basketball: Postseason tournament semifinal vs. TBD (at Holicong; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:40
- 7th/8th grade boys basketball tryouts (2:45-4:45)
- 7th/8th Grade boys basketball tryouts (2:45-4:45)
- 8th Grade girls basketball: Postseason tournament final vs. TBD (at Holicong; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:40
- 9th Grade boys basketball BLUE vs. Holicong (Home; 5:00)
- 9th grade boys basketball GOLD @ Holicong (at Holicong; 5:00); bus leaves at 4:15
- 7th/8th Grade Wrestling (at Newtown; 3:30); bus leaves at 2:20
Reminder--Student Assistance Program (SAP)
The Student Assistance Program (SAP) has been established in schools throughout Pennsylvania. SAP Programs provide schools with the means to identify, refer, and support students who are exhibiting behavioral, academic, or attendance issues that put them at risk. Tamanend has a team of dedicated school personnel who are trained to assist students, faculty and family members in identifying problems that impact the student’s ability to function in school. The team can also offer students and their families resources to assist them in alleviating these problems. For more information about the SAP Program, please click here. To complete a SAP referral form for a Tamanend student, please click here.
Update--The Next Meeting of the Tamanend Parent Book Club is February 5
Please note that the next meeting of Tamanend Parent Book Club will be held on Tuesday, February 5. The January 10 meeting will be cancelled due to the 9th Grade Curriculum Fair.
Join us for the Tamanend Parent Book Club. This year, we will be reading Raising Kids to Thrive (2015) by Kenneth R. Ginsburg, MD. The book describes "the Lighthouse Parenting Strategy" in which parents balance unconditional love and high expectations with the goal of raising resilient and happy children. This book club will follow a "no-pressure" format in which the facilitator will present a summary of the chapter and open the floor for discussion. We will share resources and ideas with the goal of helping the entire Tamanend parent community navigate the challenges of raising adolescents.
Meetings are held at 6:30 in the Tamanend Library
Click here for further information, dates, and book information.
Please email Dr. Brian Caughie at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in participating.
Reminder--9th Grade Baby Photos for Yearbook
Dear 9th Grade Parents:
The Tamanend Middle School yearbook advisors will be collecting 9th grade baby pictures for the 2018-2019 yearbook. We are inviting you to include a photo memento in your child’s yearbook that he or she will have as a special reminder in their last year at Tamanend. Submitting your child’s baby picture is a great way to honor them in the yearbook at this special time in his or her life. The cost is $5. If you would like to participate in this milestone experience, please make sure that you follow the steps to upload your photo, fill out the bottom portion of the flyer at this link, and submit order form and payment by Friday January 11, 2019 to Mrs. Gerth in room 231.
**We will NOT be accepting photos that need to be uploaded. All uploading must be done on your own to the site mentioned below. The due date for this optional 9th grade yearbook opportunity is Friday January 11, 2019.
Reminder--Community Connections at Tamanend--January 30
Dear Tamanend Middle School Families,
Please join me in the Tamanend library on Wednesday, January 30 from 6 p.m. until 7 p.m. for “Community Connections,” one of a series of parent meetings scheduled to take place in each of our schools.
These meetings are designed to encourage frank conversations about our shared vision for the future of our schools. I hope you can find time to attend; I look forward to hearing your feedback and ideas.
A video introduction can be seen on the website homepage at www.cbsd.org/communityconnections.
I hope to see you on January 30!
John J. Kopicki, Ed.D.
Superintendent of Schools
Central Bucks School District
Celebration of Our Schools
Reminder--Help with Resources
If you are experiencing a financial hardship, please know that the staff members listed below can help you and your family. We can provide assistance with food, clothing, student fees, internet access, and other issues. Please don't hesitate to contact us:
Brian Caughie, Principal email@example.com
Kyle Dudley, Assistant Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Lauren Myrtetus, Certified School Nurse email@example.com
Jeff Klein, Guidance Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Mandy Cammann, Guidance Counselor email@example.com
Reminder--Parent Positive Presentation-Healthy Transitions from Elementary to Middle to High School
iSmart Parenting Presentation Sponsored by NOVA
Thursday, Jan. 17th, 9am
1492 Stuckert Road
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Please Consider Volunteering at Tamanend Middle School
Reminder--Volunteer Required Paperwork
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. If you are planning on being in a Central Bucks school during the 2018-2019 school year for any reason, you will need to go to Volunteer Required Paperwork, and complete what is needed to obtain your Photo Volunteer ID Card. You will need that ID Card and a photo ID to enter a CB school.
Reminder--Support Tamanend While You Shop
If you use the following vendors, please think about supporting TMS while you shop:
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card that gives money to the school you designate every time you shop. Use this link to select Tamanend as your A+ school after August 15th of the new school year.
- Clip and send in Box Tops to the attention of NJHS.
Tamanend 9th Grader Recognized for Community Service
On December 13, 9th Grader Alex Kozik, was featured in a Chestnut Hill newspaper for his regular volunteering work at Sam's Hope. Sam's Hope is a non-profit organization that helps keep companion animals out of shelters. Congratulations, Alex!
Share Good News About Tamanend Students
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: firstname.lastname@example.org
Oficina: (267) 893-2900