WDMCS Athletics & Activities Update
Monday, August 3, 2020
Fall Sports Guidance from IHSAA & IGHSAU
The Iowa High School Athletic Association (IHSAA) and the Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union (IGHSAU) on Wednesday, July 29, released general and sports-specific guidance related to the upcoming fall sports season and COVID-19.
The sports played in the fall include:
- Cross Country (boys and girls)
- Golf (boys)
- Swimming & Diving (girls)
The following guidelines — intended for all athletics programs at the high school and junior high level — were set forth by the IHSAA, IGHSAU, Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds, the Iowa Department of Education, and the Iowa Department of Public Health. Click on the photos below to view the guidelines created for that specific sport.
More information about WDMCS' plans for high school and junior high fall sports related to spectators, facilities, and more will be available in a future email communication and online at ValleyTigers.com. Superintendents and athletic directors part of the Central Iowa Metropolitan League (CIML) are in the process of detailing junior high fall sports seasons.
As a reminder:
- Students who are in the online or on-site learning environments are eligible to participate in extracurricular activities.
- Students and staff must wear a face covering at all times when not physically 6 feet or more apart. This is in line with WDMCS' current Return-to-Learn mitigation strategies.
Click on the photo to view the guidelines created for cross country.
Click on the photo to view the guidelines created for football.
Click on the photo to view the guidelines created for boys' golf.
FamilyID: Sports Physical Reminder
Please click on the appropriate school to access the respective FamilyID page if your student attends:
All forms must be submitted and completed prior to when practices begin. High school fall sports practices start Monday, August 10, and junior high fall sports practices start Monday, August 24.
Virtual Fall Sports Night: Aug. 12
This year's Valley Fall Sports Night, scheduled for 7 p.m., Wednesday, August 12, will be held in a virtual format. Students in grades 9-12 who are set to participate in a fall sport this year will receive a Zoom link in a future communication to access that coach's meeting. Stay tuned for more details.
Adjusted Schedule for Meet the Tigers Night: Aug. 18 & 20
This year's Meet the Tigers Night events will be split into two days: Cross country and volleyball on Tuesday, August 18, and football and girls' swimming & diving on Thursday, August 20.
The schedule is as followed:
TUESDAY, AUGUST 18
Volleyball (Valley & Valley Southwoods Gyms)
- 5 p.m.: Parent meeting, introduction of freshmen players and coaches at Valley Southwoods
- 5:25 p.m.: Freshman volleyball scrimmage at Valley Southwoods
- 6:15 p.m.: Parent meeting, introduction of sophomore, JV, and varsity players and coaches at Valley
- 6:45 p.m.: Sophomore, junior varsity, and varsity scrimmages at Valley
THURSDAY, AUGUST 20
Football (at Tiger Field)
- 5-6 p.m.: Freshmen football scrimmage (JV dance team performs after scrimmage)
- 6:15-7:15 p.m.: Sophomore football scrimmage
- 7:23 p.m.: Varsity dance team performance
- 7:45-8:45 p.m.: Varsity football scrimmage
Girls' Swimming & Diving (at Valley Pool)
- 4:50 p.m. Parent meeting and introduction of swimmers and coaches
- 5 p.m.: Swimming scrimmage
- 5:25 p.m.: Diving Scrimmage
- 5:40 p.m.: Swimming scrimmage resumes
- 6:20 p.m.: End of scrimmage
Activities and Arts Guidance from IHSMA
Click on the photos below to view the guidelines created for that specific activity.
Click on the photo to view the guidelines created for band.
Click on the photo to view the guidelines created for choir.
Click on the photo to view the guidelines created for orchestra.
Valley Athletics & Activities
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact: