News From RStar512
Week of October 29th
Want to Recognize A Staff Member?!
RISING STAR’S HALLOWEEN COSTUME SELECTION GUIDELINES
In helping your child select his/her costume, please keep in mind the following:
Weapons (toy swords, knives, guns, tools/objects that are used to scare people, etc…) should not be part of the costume. Pirates, knights, soldiers, ghosts and goblins, etc. should not have weapon accessories.
No use of makeup.
Logos, sayings on shirts, hats or other apparel should be appropriate for a school setting.
Costumes should not be insulting to others or frightening.
Students should be able to see in their costumes.
We are looking forward to a safe and fun Halloween Parade and Party on Wednesday, October 31st! Parade Starts at 1:45 --> Classroom Parties will immediately follow the parade.
All parents and guest must check in at the office prior to going to the parade and room parties.
Additional parking is available in the back of the school.
Click this button to help out in the Library and/or MakerSpace with Mr. Wilson!
Cold Weather Recess Guidelines
- the temperature is 15 degrees or below
- the windchill index is 0 degrees or more
- there is falling moisture (more than a sprinkle or mist)
This does not preclude individual teachers from taking their class out for a few minutes of fresh air. All students are expected to participate in recess unless they stay in because of teacher or parent request.
If parents wish their child to stay in at recess, a note should be sent to the child's teacher indicated that desire . IF a child is to be kept inside for more than three consecutive days, a note from the child's doctor is requested.
The district health office feels that, "Generally, if a child is too sick to go outside for recess, he/she is too sick to be in school." There are and can be many exceptions to this, but it is a good guideline.
Flu Like Symptoms?
New exclusion policies for Flu and Mumps
The Kansas Department of Health and Environment issued new requirements for Isolation and Quarantine of Infectious or Contagious Diseases.
New this year:
- Influenza: Physician diagnosed cases of influenza will be excluded from school attendance for 7 days following the onset of illness.
- Mumps: Students who have not received age appropriate immunization for mumps will be excluded from day 12 to day 25 after exposure to the infectious case. (In the past there was an opportunity for students to be immunized within 24 hours of being notified of exposure, it is now an automatic exclusion.).
MVP - Volunteer Support
As of September 24th, SMSD is NO longer requiring fingerprints.
- If you HAVE attended a training AND HAVE BEEN fingerprinted, you DO NOT need to do anything further.
- If you have ONLY done the training, BUT have not been fingerprinted please complete the form from the link below for your security clearance marked 2).
- If you HAVE NOT begun the MVP Volunteer process, please complete both 1) and 2).
The MVP process has changed. Two steps are now required to complete the MVP process:
1) Attend an in-person training.
- Visit https://www.smsd.org/families/volunteer-mvp for currently scheduled sessions.
- Note: Tuesday morning sessions at CAA require a reservation—seating is limited.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Trainings will continue to take place every Tuesday at 9:30am at CAA
2) Visit Validity Screening to complete the online, background screening process. This information will be provided at the training.
- If you have already completed the required training, visit this link to complete the process.
E-mail email@example.com or call (913) 993-8750 for more information.
Make sure you have signed up through PeachJar to receive our digital flyers. This is how we distribute community flyers for upcoming events and information.
Chat & Chew Books & Dates
Books can be found in our Rising Star Library, in most teacher’s classrooms, at the Johnson County Library & of course on Amazon or in brick & mortar stores. If you choose to purchase the books for your student, please consider donating them at the end of the year so that we can have more copies available to lend out each year. Donated books can be given to Mr. Wilson in the library. Thank you!
*Chat & Chew Party: Those students who have read & attended at least 3 Chat & Chew book sessions are invited to bring their lunch & their favorite book to share with their peers.
(Chat & Chew is held in the classroom during the student’s lunch period)