The PRES Press
Principal's Monthly Newsletter, September 2018
A Message from Principal Amy Fishkin
Happy Labor Day!
Welcome Back to School!
First Week of School
Please make sure to label your child's sweatshirts, coats, lunchboxes, backpacks, water bottles, and other personal items brought to school with your child's first and last name. This will ensure your child's personal items are returned to you each day.
Attention Kindergarten Families:
The first two days of school for our kindergarten students, September 4th and 5th, will be half days. Kindergarten students will be dismissed at 12:30 pm. Students will be placed on their regular bus home at 12:30, unless you indicate otherwise in School Dismissal Manager. An introductory email from School Dismissal Manager was sent to you on August 28, 2018. Please make sure to check this email, log into your account, and familiarize yourself with the School Dismissal Manager program. We will be using this system for daily dismissal changes starting on the first day of school.
- Our teachers will be receiving professional development in the area of reading through Teachers College Reading & Writing Project, as we implement the reading workshop model, across all five elementary schools. Stay tuned for more information.
- Our students will now receive library instruction once per week, rather than once every two weeks (as we did last year). Our librarian, Mrs. Rina Baldo, will be shared between two schools rather than three schools this year. She will share her time between PRES and BVES. Mrs. Baldo will be with us on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Your child's teacher will let you know which day of the week your child's class will visit the school library.
- The exterior entrances to the building and school sign have all been painted.
- New stage curtains and gym mats will be installed to improve the safety of our students in the gym, as well as improve the appearance of our stage.
PRES faculty and staff engage in collaborative problem solving at our Opening Day, as they unlock BreakOut kits!
New Playground Equipment Coming Soon!
Nexus Nautilus 2 - A “Ninja Warrior” type obstacle course
Flux Capacitor - a colorful climbing structure
Tensile Tough Horseshoe Climber
Bongo Perch connectors
PRES C.A.R.E. Character Education Program
C.A.R.E. is the PRES school-wide positive behavioral support system that encourages students and staff to care for themselves, others, and the greater school community. C.A.R.E. highlights four key components of positive behavior:
Cooperation, Accountability, Respect, and Effort
Through C.A.R.E., we encourage a nurturing school climate by promoting pro-social behavior, increasing learning time, and teaching positive social skills. PRES students are involved in weekly classroom meetings, spirit days, round of a “PAWS,” community rocks, and monthly assemblies.
When a PRES student is caught caring, he/she is awarded a "round of a paws," which is shared on the morning announcements. The PRES student caught caring chooses a uniquely painted rock to place out in the community, bringing a little art and beauty into the lives of others! Whenever you see a painted rock hidden in the community somewhere, it is a sign that a random act of kindness has been committed at PRES.
Our first all school assembly, to celebrate our C.A.R.E. core values, will be held on Friday, September 7, 2018. Our first monthly school spirit day will be Friday, September 28th. It will be Rock Star Day! We invite all students and staff to unleash their inner rock star, in celebration of our newly painted CARE-ing rocks!
Introduction of New Faculty and Staff
- Helayna Hirschkorn, School Psychologist, part time
- Julie Davidson, Learning Specialist
- Becky Mildenhall, Teacher Aide
As a school community, we also support Manhattanville graduate students who are in the process of becoming teachers and will be working alongside our teachers this year. Please join me in welcoming:
- Jessica LaPadula, Courtney Crozier, and Andrijana Komnenovic, interns
- Georgie Highton and Alex Scapperotti, student teachers
PRES Student Handbook
- School Hours
- Arrival and Dismissal
- Homework expectations
- Lost & Found
- Lunch & Recess
- Programs and Services
- and more!
Please click on the link below, or visit our school website, to access the student handbook:
September Events at PRES:
Sept. 4 = 12:30 pm Early Dismissal for Kindergarten ONLY
Sept. 5 = 12:30 pm Early Dismissal for Kindergarten ONLY
Sept. 7 = First CARE Assembly (students only)
Sept. 10-11 = NO SCHOOL (Rosh Hashanah)
Sept. 13 = Back to School Night (Gr. 3-5) @ 7:00 pm
Sept. 14 = PTA All School Ice Cream Social @ 5:00-6:30 pm
Sept. 17 = Back to School Night (Gr. K-2) @ 7:00 pm
Sept. 19 = NO SCHOOL (Yom Kippur)
Sept. 21 = Ice Cream Social Rain Date
Sept. 26 = Picture Day
Sept. 27 = Parent-Principal Coffee (K-5) @ 9:30-10:30 am
Sept. 28 = School Spirit Day - Rock Star Day!