El Paso ATPE
Spring Region Meeting Update
ATPE Region and Local Election Results
Region 19 Board
Region 19 Director - Rudy Romero
President - Michael Slaight
Vice President - Patti Garcia
Secretary - Aileen Gonzalez
Treasurer - Eduardo Sierra
These members will take their new offices beginning in August. Congratulations and thank you for your continued support.
El Paso District ATPE Board
Here is your Local ATPE Representatives for the 2015-16 school year:
Local President - Katherine Cepeda; firstname.lastname@example.org
Local Vice-President - Grace Garcia; email@example.com
Local Secretary - Amada Hernandez; firstname.lastname@example.org
Local Treasurer - Patsy Bulos; email@example.com
Local Membership - Cynthia Montes-Bustamante; firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your continued support and dedication to ATPE and EPISD Members.
Get out and VOTE! Did you know that in the State of Texas ONLY 1 in 5 teachers vote? Please take a moment to stay informed with the Teach the Vote website to become familiar with all the proposed changes in our State. Contact your State Representatives and let them know your concerns. Provided for your reference is a directory of our Elected Representatives.
El Paso Consultation
Thursday, April 30th we met to discuss the following:
- Consumable Materials - No update. There were campuses still without materials for students, and they were having to make copies. Mary Ann Clark was going to look to see if there were any additional materials in the warehouse. The person who orders these materials, retired. No one has been hired to replace.
- Paper allocation - No update. Apparently, at some campuses teachers are still making copies of consumable materials to have for their students, while they are using too much paper. Now that the end of the school year is upon us, Administration is going to want your lesson plans printed out. We are hoping to have an answer to you soon, if PDF will be sufficient for Administration. Ms. Durant will have an answer to us soon.
- Instructional Coaches - closed. Active Learning Leader is the new position. While the criteria was 85 points to make the pool; Administration changed the criteria to 65 points and all were evaluated at the new criteria. It was a "misunderstanding" of point evaluation and only 48 were recommended for the pool. 2nd round of interviews are currently ongoing. Individuals that applied may contact Human Resources or Curriculum & Instruction to find out their scoring.
- Discipline Referrals - EPISD leads the Region and State in the number of referrals. Administration was asked to please find alternative methods of handling referrals. We were assured that the students who are being referred to Administration for discipline and have commited an "automatic" placement offense will still be placed. EPISD Administration is asking campus administration to use discretion on the placement.
- Absence Policy - EPISD administrators have certain criteria to rate a campus Tier 1, 2, or 3. Student attendance, teacher attendance, parent surveys returned, and gains of the campus. Administrators were telling their campus that they could not call in sick or a personal day due to the criteria. If you are having this issue, please contact us to let us know. District administration was informed that the survey given in Spring parent/teacher conference night was too long. They will look at making it shorter.
- Displaced Teachers - Vilas Elementary was a closure. Due to the closure, faculty and staff at the campus was placed on the displaced list. 13 of 25 teachers/staff stayed at Mesita Early Childhood or Mesita Elementary. Custodians and Paraprofessionals were placed as need on the campuses. 12 teachers are still on the displaced list and will be placed where needed. These employees on the displaced list are priority teachers and will be placed prior to hiring outside of the district. If there are no positions for the displaced employee, then they will become a staff teacher. Many Instructional Coaches were also placed on this list. Due to the interview process for the ALL position, if there are not enough applicants in the pool, the Instructional Coach on the displaced list will then be placed at a campus as an ALL. But, this also applies to the teachers on the displaced list. As long as the certifications are in place for a teacher on the displaced list, they will be used where needed.