September 28, 2015
“Be very careful, then, how you live--not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is." Ephesians 5:15-17
1. We will no longer have delayed openings. Please change your calendars, as school will begin at the regular time on October 2, November 6, December 4, January 8, February 5, March 4, April 1, and May 6.
2. Staff meetings will be held one Tuesday afternoon a month from 3:10 pm until 4:00 pm. On these dates, GOAL will be combined with After Care during the meeting. We will have two part-time staff supervising a movie with all students who are in After Care. (*Note: GOAL students enrolled in Thrive or Pathway on Tuesdays will not be charged for After Care during the meeting.)
3. Van Pool will operate on a delayed schedule. Mr. Kevin will drive the van and will plan to leave at approximately 3:45 pm, which is 30 minutes later than normal. We anticipate the arrival time of the van at the drop off location will be approximately 4:15 pm. Families of Van Pool riders should adjust their schedules accordingly. (*Note: Van Pool riders will not be charged for After Care during the meeting.)
4. The following are the scheduled dates for all staff meetings throughout the remainder of this school year:
If any parents are available to volunteer during our staff meetings to answer the phones and monitor the door, it would be greatly appreciated. Please contact Michelle if interested.
Thank you for your understanding of this change. It is vitally important for our staff to meet on a regular basis. Please feel free to contact the office with any questions.
GOS Drop Off/Pick Up Procedures
You and your student are invited to attend the Down Syndrome Partnership of North Texas "Thriving with Down Syndrome" Fall Conference on October 3, 2015. Register here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/thriving-with-down-syndrome-fall-2015-conference-presented-by-dspnt-tickets-17142120544. This free conference will be filled with beneficial information for any family who has a member with an intellectual disability, not just those with Down syndrome. There will be tracks for parents, family members, educators, caregivers, Spanish speakers, and self advocates 13 and over.
North Texas Buddy Walk
Although a donation in any amount is appreciated, you can join our team as a virtual or actual member for only $15.00 and get a T-Shirt! Note: There is no charge for Green Oaks School students or GOAL participants to join a team (register as "Walker with Down syndrome").
Sign up today at http://secure.ezeventsolutions.com/fr/NTBW/2015BuddyWalk/GreenOaksSchoolGators for the Green Oaks School Team. Club 321 also has a Buddy Walk team.
Green Oaks Craft Fair
2015/2016 ANNUAL FUND
Staff Appreciation Committee
The Green Oaks Staff Appreciation Committee provides our staff with luncheons, treats, and gifts on their birthdays. The Staff Appreciation Committee is requesting help from each family through donations of money and/or food. The suggested donation is $20, but any amount will be appreciated. Please send your cash or check (payable to Green Oaks School) to the office, in an envelope marked Teacher Appreciation as soon as possible. If you missed the planning meeting for the Staff Appreciation Committee but would still like to help, email Terri Boyd at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 214-738-8568.
In Our Prayers…
- Ongoing prayers for Nic Patterson and Adrian Martinez as they continue to fight leukemia.
We’d like to include your prayer concerns, too. Please call the office or submit them by email to email@example.com.
Green Oaks has a continual need for items (listed below). In addition to the items on our wish list, right now we are in need of gift cards to Half Price Books, comic books, magazine subscriptions to Sports Illustrated Kids, Christian magazines, and teen magazines, including M, Twist, Teen Ink, etc. Green Oaks continues to collect Box Tops and Labels for Education. Please send these to school in a Ziploc bag.
White copy paper
Plastic forks, spoons, & knives
AA & AAA batteries
30 or 33 Gallon Trash Bags
These items are always needed and appreciated!