Irmo Elementary Family Updates
#HeartoftheHive #BetterTogether September 21th-25th
A Note From Your Principal
Dear IES Families,
We have had another amazing week together at Irmo Elementary. I have received so many emails with positive feedback for the amazing work our teachers are doing with your bees. Thank you for taking the time to offer those words of encouragement and love. We are looking for three additional members for our 2020-2021 School Improvement Council. Please review the blurb below concerning SIC if you would like to be placed on the upcoming online election ballot to serve the heart of the hive. We need you! Your commitment to this new process of learning (F2F, distance, and hybrid) is unwavering. We know it is not easy but we are doing it together!
This Week's Important Reminders
9/21 Fall Pictures Cohort A
9/21 MAP Make-up Day Cohort A/Deadline for FIVE Fall Picture Survey
9/22 SIC Virtual Board Member Meeting 8:00 am-9:00 am
9/30 FIVE Fall Pictures (schedule will be sent based on survey sent Thursday, 9/17~deadline to reply is Monday, 9/21)
Irmo Elementary School is Accepting Nominations for School Improvement Council (SIC)
- If you would like to serve in the heart of the hive, please submit a "get to know you blurb" and photo of yourself to Carol Tomlin (school secretary) at email@example.com.
- Nominations will be accepted until midnight on September 28th.
- Virtual voting will be held from October 1st-October 8th.
Struggling with your device and technology? Please utilize the resources below to support. #BetterTogether
Partnership with UofSC School of Public Health for 5K-5th Grade Students
Are you interested in participating in a project about children’s health during school and summer for 5K-5th grade students?
Click this link to learn more and sign-up:
This study is sponsored by UofSC Arnold School of Public Health.
Teachers and staff received dinner for Friday night to show our appreciation for their hard work. Thank you PTA for your support of this act of love!
All staff received a monogrammed IES mask from the heart of the hive this week!
Thank you to Hungry Howie's for supporting IES from the heart. We are so thankful for our local business partners!
Information from the Cafeteria
Irmo Elementary and all schools in D5 will offer free meals to all students in School District Five Sept. 8 through Dec. 31, due to a U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) waiver extension providing free breakfast and lunch to students nationwide.
Students in the district will also have the opportunity to pick up meals on Wednesdays for their virtual or distance learning days. Pick up will be located at several sites throughout the district, including bus delivery locations.
School Meal Sites
The district will serve 5-day meal supplies at three school sites. These sites are designed for FIVE student meal pick up. Hybrid students are encouraged to visit bus delivery sites, which will serve three-day meal portions, but can also visit school sites if needed.
- Chapin High School (bus loop) - 10:30 a.m.-12:30 pm (Wednesdays)
- Dutch Fork High School (bus loop) - 10:30 a.m.-12:30 pm (Wednesdays)
- Irmo High School (bus loop) - 10:30 a.m.-12:30 pm (Wednesdays)
Bus Meal Delivery Sites
Several bus delivery locations will be offered district-wide. These sites are designed for Hybrid students and will serve 3-day meal supplies only. Times and locations are subject to change.
- See our bus meal delivery locations at the following link: http://bit.ly/D5meals
*All meal pick up for virtual days and distance learning days will occur on Wednesdays. FIVE and hybrid students can receive meals at either bus or school locations. Note: Five-day food supplies will only be available at school locations (CHS, DFHS, and IHS). Three-day meal supplies will be provided at bus delivery locations, and staff will check rosters for students.
Though students are not required to be present at feeding sites, parents will be required to show their students’ school I.D. or other form of identification, if students are not present during meal pick up. For more information on meal distribution or the USDA waiver, CLICK HERE.
Car Rider Safety Procedures
-Please have students exit the car on the passenger side for safety.
-If the student needs assistance to open the door, please ask a staff member to assist. We are making it a priority to not touch car doors if possible for safety reasons and contact concerns.
-Please do not go around a car and then pull back into the line to drop off your student.
-In the afternoon, please follow the line through the staff parking lot.
-Please display your car tag.
-Starting 9/14, you must have your car tag or you will have to go around to the front office and sign out your student after 3:00 when the car line is complete.
-Please make sure that your student knows their car tag number.
D5 Self Screening Checklist and COVID-19 Exposure Flowchart for Families: Please Review to Proactively Keep Our Bees Safe
School District Five Self Screening Checklist and COVID-19 Exposure Flowchart
School District Five of Lexington & Richland Counties has worked in collaboration with health officials to establish health protocols for the 2020-21 school year, in response to COVID-19. Students and staff will be asked to complete daily self-screenings before reporting to school/district campuses. District schools will follow DHEC guidance regarding the management of suspected and confirmed COVID-19 cases.
- Click the following link to see the district’s self-screening checklist:
- Click the following link to see the district’s COVID-19 Exposure Flowchart:
- For DHEC guidelines regarding the management of suspected and confirmed COVID-19 cases, click the following link:
School Hours and Office Visit Procedures
Irmo Elementary office hours are 7:10 AM - 4:00PM. The school is open to students only beginning at 7:10 am Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. Due to social distancing, 3 visitors are allowed inside the front office at a time by appointment. Non-essential visitors are not allowed in the building before, during, or after school hours. We will continue to conduct school business through appointments and coordination.
- Please call our front office at 803-476-4200 to make an appointment before arriving.
- When you arrive on campus, please park and call the office to let us know you are here. When space allows, you can enter based on social distancing protocol. There will be a holding area in the front entrance for those who have scheduled appointments (by the fish tank) to allow for social distancing.
Parent Teacher Conferences~October 12th
D5 Helpful Reentry Information and Resources
School District Five COVID-19 Communication Guide
Ensuring the safety of our students and staff is a top priority for School District Five. This email is to reaffirm School District Five's commitment to school safety and share how we will communicate COVID-19 cases in our schools and offices.
Communication is key in emergency situations. The district works with state and local officials to communicate pertinent information when appropriate. School messages are coordinated through the district, and updates are provided as information becomes available.
Our communication strategy for COVID-19 notifications was created in collaboration with the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (SCDHEC) and other health officials.
- If a student or staff member has had close contact (contact for more than 15 minutes within less than six feet) with an individual who has tested positive for COVID-19, parents/guardians and staff will receive a telephone call from the school nurse or a school administrator followed by an email, which will include next steps (i.e. quarantine instructions, etc.). This may be an automated message with a phone number for inquiries or a direct call from the school nurse.
- If a student or staff member has had indirect contact (been in a classroom or group setting but farther than six feet from an individual who has tested positive for COVID-19), there will still be contact tracing. As a result, parents/guardians and staff will receive an email from the school nurse or a school administrator.
- Like communication for other infectious illnesses/diseases, the district and its schools must follow federal guidelines related to the privacy of students and staff records. School-wide communications regarding COVID-19 cases will be limited to instructional model changes (i.e. a school-wide switch from in-person learning to distance/virtual learning to ensure the safety of students and staff).
Helpful Reentry Videos
School District Five has been sharing videos to reiterate written communications and help our families prepare. Click the links below to view our reentry videos:
Yearbook Orders Are Online Only This Year: Get Yours Now!
- $24 Yearbook Price Deadline: October 31, 2020
- Book Price after October 31 Deadline: $26.00
- IES Online Code is: FMYB100385
- The online ordering site for your yearbook is ready. Your direct link to access your online ordering site is: