Board Briefs for Monday, July 8, 2019 Regular Meeting
Monday, July 8, 2019 Regular Board Meeting
The Board of Education of the Muscatine Community School District met in regular session on Monday, July 8, 2019, at 7 p.m. at City Hall. Vice President Mary Wildermuth called the meeting to order. Directors John Dabeet, Aaron Finn, Nathan Mather, and Toby McCarter were present. President Tammi Drawbaugh and Director Randy Naber were absent. Also present was Superintendent Jerry Riibe.
- The Board recited the Pledge of Allegiance.
- Visitors and media representatives were welcomed.
- Citizens Speak:
- Jacqueline McCoy, 2114 Schley, asked the Board to consider naming the combined Muscatine Jr. High School after Susan Clark, daughter of Alexander Clark.
- Board Targets/Goals Report:
- Students will graduate prepared for post-secondary success: Superintendent Riibe gave an update on a proposed new high school pathways program.
- Students will learn in a positive and supportive environment: Dr. Kandy Steel, Jefferson Elementary Principal, presented information on the Muskie Super Summer STEA2M Camp.
- Consent Agenda:
- “Resignations - Administrative Staff” was removed from Employment Recommendations as part of the consent agenda.
- Approved the following:
- Minutes of June 10, 2019, Regular Session.
- Employment Recommendations:
- New Hires - Administrative Staff: Thomas Ulses, Assistant Principal/Activities & Athletic Director, MHS.
- New Hires - Certified Staff: Taylor Anderson, 4th Grade Teacher, Franklin; Sarah Baldi, German Teacher, MHS; Nicole Benisch, Kindergarten Teacher, Grant; Rebecca Bettis, Special Education Strat I Teacher, McKinley; Meredith Gorman, 5th Grade Teacher, Madison; Chelsea Spray, Early Childhood Special Education Teacher, Muskie Early Learning Center; Debi Wesolowski, Special Education Strat II Teacher, Grant.
- Resignations - Certified Staff: Kayla Huber, Special Education Teacher, Franklin; Kelly Polukonda, Kindergarten Teacher, Franklin.
- New Hires - Schedule C: Skye Petersen, Pom Pon Assistant, MHS; Amy Justus, MS Team Leader - ELA, CMS; Anna Rauenbuehler, MS Cross Country (2019-20 school year only).
- Resignations - Schedule C: Nathan Rickard, MS Team Leader, Exploratories, CMS; Jacob Huebener, Mock Trial, MHS; Marcy Duffe, MS Cross Country (2019-20 school year only).
- Bills and Claims against the district dated July 8, 2019.
- Muscatine Preschool Alliance Contracts with Head Start, Guardian Angel, A Child’s Place, and Wonder Years.
- Special Education Contracts with Dubuque Community School District (student i.d. #...3398) and Iowa City Community School District (student i.d. #...1072).
- Employment Recommendations - Resignations - Administrative Staff: Specifically, Superintendent Riibe’s resignation effective at the end of the 2019-20 school year was approved with gratitude for his service and commitment to the Muscatine community. Also noted was that board members had previously known of his intentions to retire at the end of the 2019-20 school year.
- Superintendent's Evaluation was discussed with the recommendation to utilize last year's model and how that can also serve to determine the leadership qualities needed in the next superintendent.
- Upcoming meetings and events were announced:
- July 8, 2019, Online Registration Opens
- July 22-25, 2019, All school buildings will be open from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. to provide assistance to those families who need help with the registration process.
- August 12, 2019, Regular Board Meeting; 7 PM; City Hall
- The meeting adjourned at 7:39 p.m.
Select this link to see this meeting's agenda and its supporting documents.