Wednesday, December 19, 2018
The staff at Legacy Christian would like to wish all of you a Merry Christmas and many blessings as we look to 2019!
PLEASE NOTE CHANGE IN DISMISSAL FOR CHRISTMAS BREAK
Christmas Break will begin this Friday, Dec. 21, with a half day of school, DISMISSING AT 11:15 AM! All buses will run as usual. We will resume classes on Monday, Jan. 7, 2019.
GETTING READY FOR THE 2019-2020 SCHOOL YEAR
- PLEASE REMEMBER- Legacy’s Early Childhood Open House will be held on Thursday, Jan. 10, 2019. This evening is designed for parents and for their children. Please share this information with friends and families. Legacy parents are our biggest promoters!
- Preschool/Kindergarten pre-registration begins after Christmas break on Monday, Jan.7, 2019. If you are planning to send your student to Prek, Young Fives, or English or Spanish Kindergarten at Legacy next fall, please use this opportunity to pre-register them. Let your friends and neighbors know about this important date, especially those whose oldest child would be eligible. These families are not always aware that pre-registration takes place this early! A preschool/kindergarten registration form is attached to this newsletter. Help us promote Legacy Christian!
- For our Early Childhood Open House on Thursday, Jan. 10, we would love it if we could get several of our LCS families to help provide the goodies that will be served to the families that come to tour Legacy Christian! Our theme for this year's Open House is again "Shine Like Stars". You are welcome to make something "star" related, but it certainly doesn't have to be. Please indicate in the comment box what you plan to bring. Thank you in advance for supporting LCS in this way! Sign up here - https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0D44A8AA2BA13-early3
CRAFT SALE UPDATE
First, thank you so much to all who donated time and/or baked goods for the Craft Fair. This is a huge fundraiser for our school and we can’t do it without volunteers. We want you to know what your time and donations are doing for our school.
This year we made $11,500 at our Craft Fair! That is amazing!
$7,000 will be going to our general school fund. The PTO pledges to this fund each year.
The remaining $4,500 will be used to purchase items from a wish list which was created by the teachers:
1. A document camera for the middle school science class. This will benefit each of our children as they go through the science program.
2. The kindergarten class will get a door replacement out to the playground. This has been a need for several years so it will be great to get it done.
3. New carpet for several classrooms at the east campus.
With fundraisers throughout the year like the Skate Parties, Christmas Store and the KeyCards we do our best to put those funds back into the classrooms. Each teacher receives $250 at the beginning of the school year for any additional items they need to enhance our children’s learning.
We hope that knowing where all of your fundraising efforts go, you will know how much our school and teachers appreciate you.
Please feel free to reach out to your PTO if you would like to volunteer! Or contact Kari Plaisier, PTO President at (949)228-2388 or firstname.lastname@example.org
ELEMENTARY NEWS AND NOTES
- Weekly Worship - Dec. 21 - All School Christmas Next Worship: Jan. 11 - Mr. Haagsma leads singing
- The last 2 theme days are:
- Thursday (20th) - Wear Christmas Sparkle/Bling
- Friday (21st) - Wear Red
- Help keep our students safe! Please remember that a number of our students have food allergies that are very significant. Even if no student in your child's class has an allergy, shared food during programs, birthdays, special celebrations, etc. may affect someone who does. If you volunteer to bake and send food to school, please ask your child's teacher about specific guidelines. Thank you for helping LCS provide a safe environment for all our students!
- We like to provide lunch time classroom coverage on Thursdays for teachers so they can enjoy lunch with their colleagues! Sign up here to volunteer!! Look ahead into 2019 and sign up! Thanks for your help! https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f054ea4a82cab9-thursday4.
WEST CAMPUS NEWS AND NOTES
- IPOD Worship - Dec. 21 - All School Christmas Worship NEXT: Jan. 9 - Small Groups
- WC Worship - Dec. 21- All School Christmas Worship NEXT: Jan. 9 Small Groups
- The west campus students will be going to the 3 Mile Project tomorrow, Thursday, Dec. 20. We will be leaving school at 10:45 am and returning at 2:45 pm. Students may bring their lunch to the 3 Mile Project or there will be food sold at the Cafe. See the Middle School and IPOD websites for additional information and list of food costs. There is no cost to go unless your student wants to purchase food.
- Middle School exams will be held on Jan. 10 and 11. The 7th Graders will be taking two exams (US History and Bible) and 8th Graders will be taking four exams (Civics/Geography, Bible, Science, and LA). Both Thursday, Jan. 10, and Friday, Jan. 11, will be half days for just the 7th and 8th Graders with a 12:05 pm dismissal. See parent email for further details.
- SKI CLUB - 6th, 7th, 8th graders: We will be heading to Bittersweet on Jan. 18, 24, and 30. More dates to be determined. If you are interested in going with us, be sure to sign up on Sign-up-Genius no later than the Monday before we go so we can be sure we have enough drivers. Here is the link to sign up: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0C49AEAA2CAA8-lcsski or you can email Faythe Patterson at email@example.com. If you still need a ski club discount card, please bring your forms and money to school ASAP. Many of you have your cards - feel free to head out with your families over Christmas break! Let me know if you have any questions!
- At Christmastime it can easily be possible that some west campus students buy presents for their friends. If these gifts are exchanged here at school this gesture between friends often winds up causing pain among classmates. We ask that if gift exchanges occur, they take place away from school.
Thanks to everyone who participates in our TerraCycle program: to the parents, grandparents and Legacy supporters who collect and sort their TerraCycle items, to the teachers who encourage and the students who remember to TerraCycle into their classroom bags and to the moms who faithfully help sort and ship items. Thanks to all of you, we will be receiving a check for $783.17 from TerraCycle next week! Almost $800.00 for sending in our trash to be recycled! Amazing!
Brigade Closing Notice: We just received notice that the VITAMIN AND SUPPLEMENT brigade is CLOSING at the end of the year. We will be able to make one more shipment next week. If you have any vitamin or supplement containers, please make sure to turn them in before Christmas break. Drop off a bag when you pick up your TRIP on Thursday or when you attend all school worship on Friday!
TRASH FOR CASH
- Reminder— if school is closed, Cash & Carry will also be closed.
- The last Cash & Carry for 2018 will be tomorrow, Dec. 20. We will begin again on Jan. 10, 2019.
We will carry the following items in December:
· Amazon $10 & Amazon $100 (All Amazon is now CARDS, not paper certificates!)
· Target $10
· Starbucks $5
· Visa $50—1.25% rebate and activation fee!
If you want information on how TRIP works or how to sign up for TRIP, please contact Melody Newhouse (243-6472) or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can find a copy of the TRIP order form on the Legacy website under “Current Parents” heading, then click on “TRIP”.
MOMS IN PRAYER
Mom's in Prayer will resume again on Friday, Jan. 11. Hope to see you there!
FAMILIES BEING PRAYED FOR THIS WEEK BY LEGACY CHRISTIAN SCHOOL
Prayer is a powerful gift! LCS has always been able to pray for requests as they arise. Our school has also decided to lift up families weekly in prayer. For the remainder of the school year please read which families are being covered in prayer. During that week each student will receive a prayer tag for them to keep and remember they are being covered in extra prayers.
- Andrea DeYoung - Aubree - Kdgn
- Curt & Andrea DeYoung - Cole - 5th, Brayden - 1st
- Chris & Julie Donegan - Melanie - Prek
- Libere & Donate Dusabe - Ariana - 8th Lydia - 6th
- Ed & Cheryle Dyk - Alexander - 6th
- Gerald & Linda Dykhuis - Kaitlynn - 7th
- Brad & Lisa Ellens - Evelynn - Kdgn
- Keith & Jennifer Essenyi - Alex Fretz - 6th
“Teachers and Coaches Matter”
In a Barna* article entitled, Teen Role Models: Who They Are, Why they Matter, Barna identified that other than parents or other family members, teachers and coaches are the most important role models a student may have. Our teachers and coaches are committed to your student’s success as an individual. If you are looking for the best “fit” for your student, we invite you to explore South Christian High School. Explore South Christian Night – Jan. 15, 7:00 pm. An exciting evening with all incoming 8th graders and their parents for an overview of campus life at SCHS.
South Christian High School invites you to attend the Dedication Service (2:00 pm) and Open House (3:00 - 4:30 pm) of the new building on Sunday, Jan. 13. You are also invited to be part of the debt-free plan of raising an additional $2.4 million by year-end. As we give thanks to God for the indescribable gift of a new building, please consider a gift to the SCHS Building with Purpose campaign. Gifts can be mailed to 160 68th Street, SW, Grand Rapids, MI 49548 or feel free to contact Sandy Dobbs (email@example.com) for additional information. Let’s be debt-free!
Upcoming Dates and Events
20 WC Students go to 3 Mile Project
21 All School Christmas Worship (8:15 am)
21 Half Day of School Dismiss at (11:15 am) NOTE TIME CHANGE!!
24-31 NO SCHOOL - CHRISTMAS BREAK
1/2 NO SCHOOL - CHRISTMAS BREAK
3/4 NO SCHOOL - TfT Training
7 School Resumes
7 Prek/DK/Kdgn Registration Begins for 2019-20
10&11 7th/8th Grade Exams - Will Dismiss at 12:05 pm
10 Early Childhood Open House (6:00-8:00 pm)
11 End of 2nd Quarter
14 NO SCHOOL - Teacher Inservice