Read Aloud All Summer Long
Top 4 Reasons Why Reading Aloud is the Most Important Thing You Can Do This Summer
- Develops a Rich Vocabulary: Reading aloud exposes children to words they don't encounter in everyday conversation (considerate, ecstatic, deliberate) which in turn, builds their own personal vocabulary bank.
- Improves Understanding of Fluency: Hearing a story read aloud provides a model for how stories should sound (flow, phrasing, expression, rate).
- Increases awareness of Story Structure: Children read to frequently have a deeper understanding of how stories work which enhances their overall comprehension
- Provides Social Emotional Benefits: Reading aloud allows children to think about and discuss characters' feelings with a trusted adult which then provides them with a repertoire of words and strategies to handle their own feelings.
How to Choose a Read Aloud Text
What to look for in choosing books :
- Titles that explore your child's interests, expand horizons, and offer exposure to different kinds of writing.
- Stories that let them see how characters in different situations behave toward others.
- Engaging informational texts with lots of colorful photographs or illustrations that help kindergartners build knowledge about the world.
- Longer stories or chapter books with thematically rich issues that lead to discussion and reflection.
Parent Tips for Summer Reading
Keep books in the car, in the beach bag, and your child's sports bag
Connect reading to summer activities (For example: read books about places your family will go or activities that you will do together)
Let your children see you read (For example: read the newspaper in the morning or take a magazine from the rack at the doctor's office)
Reward reading with more reading (For example: if your child finishes one book, take a trip to the local library and let them pick out another)
MTPL Supports Summer Reading
See the schedule below:
ONLINE SIGNUP BEGINS JUNE 10TH!
Summer Reading Program Logging begins June 17th
Summer Reading Program ends August 10th
Last Day to Pick Up Prizes - Saturday, August 17th
Grand Prize Raffle Drawing-Saturday, August 17th (Close of business)