Growing understanding to positively impact student learning
What is Assessment Literacy? Why Does it Matter?
- View and respond to the video with Dr. Stiggins.
- Get to know the MAC Assessment Literacy Standards.
- Take the AL self-assessment and select an area of focus.
- Read Re-Balancing Assessment: Placing Formative and Performance Assessment at the Heart of Learning and Accountability. Select one quote that stood out for you and respond.
1. View and Respond
“People who are assessment literate understand how to gather dependable evidence of student achievement and how to use the assessment process and its results both to support student learning and to certify it depending on the context...they are both important purposes. Assessment literates know the difference.”
Listen for Dr. Stiggins comments on what AL is, why it matters, and how various stakeholders can promote it. Why should we aspire to be assessment literate?
What strikes you about his message? Post two stickies here to respond.
2. Get to Know the MAC Assessment Literacy Standards
UPDATE: This presentation was shared with the MI SBE in April 2016. This past week, the SBE endorsed the standards!
3. Assess Yourself: How Assessment Literate are You?
4. Read This White Paper
- What impact has high-stakes testing had on student achievement? On teachers?
- What statistics stood out for you and why?
- The authors propose more focus on formative and performance assessments as ways to improve student outcomes and transform schools. What potential do you see? How does assessment literacy align with this possible paradigm shift?
Select one quote that stood out for you and respond to it. Be prepared to share in a discussion activity May 14.