Scarborough Public Schools
Weekly Newsletter October 2, 2020
New Page on the Web for All District Communications
In our ongoing efforts to further communication, we have expanded our district website to include a District Communications page. As we move forward, all copies of district level communications, including archived copies of these newsletters with key terms as well as past letters from Central Office, will be added to this site to increase the ease of referencing information that has been previously shared. The new page can be referenced from going to the black sidebar on the left of the page under "Central Office" or by directly going to http://www.scarboroughschools.org/central-office/sps-district-communications. A screenshot is included below for your reference.
From the Superintendent
You will find the latest message from Superintendent Prince in the box below. In the future, you will also find archived messages from previous weeks in this same box. Please contact the Superintendent's Office at (207) 730-4100 or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or suggestions.
As we step into October, our staff are designing instruction around our essential learning goals for the year while also continuing to focus on providing safe and inclusive learning environments.
Leveraging federal grant funds: We have 37 SPS staff from all schools participating in Maine's Cultural Competence Institute, a series of 8 monthly evening webinars. The first session was titled, "Building Cultural Building Blocks," where one activity included a discussion around the video: The Danger of a Single Story The title of the October session is "Creating Brave Space for Courageous Conversations About Race."
We hope you will join us in addressing anxiety: On November 4 from 6:00pm - 7:30pm a live webinar event titled, “NOW What? Helping Children (and Parents) Manage Emotionally During Uncertain Times” will be presented by Lynn Lyons. More information will be provided in the coming weeks.
Upcoming SPS Events - Mark Your Calendar!
- October 8 - Virtual Parent-Teacher Conferences - Scarborough High School
- October 9 - No School - Staff Development Day
- October 12 - No School - Indigenous People's Day
- October 14 at 6:00 p.m. - Wentworth School Virtual Open House
- October 15 at 6:00 p.m. - School Board Virtual Workshop
- October 15 at 7:00 p.m. - School Board Virtual Meeting
- October 22 - Virtual Parent -Teacher Conferences - Scarborough High School
Did You Know...
- Our current total enrollment is 2,928 students. Of that, there are currently 399 students enrolled in 100% remote learning.
- Through collaboration with Scarborough Public Schools and a grant from the Maine Department of Education, Scarborough Community Services has been able to secure the former House of Lights in Scarborough for full day care for students in grades K-6 on their remote learning days. Scarborough Public Schools has either loaned or donated chairs and desks, tables, shelving, cubbies, plexiglass shields, and lighting.
Health and Safety Reminders
Links to Our Schools
Services & Information
Transportation | Sarah Redmond, email@example.com