What is it?
Coordinate geometry is the use of algebra to study geometric properties; operates on symbols defined in a coordinate system. The coordinate plane is a basic concept for coordinate geometry. It describes a two-dimensional plane in terms of two perpendicular axes: x and y. The x-axis indicates the horizontal direction while the y-axis indicates the vertical direction of the plane. In the coordinate plane, points are indicated by their positions along the x and y-axes.
Things You Can do in Coordinate Geometry
If you know the coordinates of a group of points you can:
- Determine the distance between them
- Find the midpoint,slope and equation of a line segment
- Determine if lines are parallel or perpendicular
- Find the area and perimeter of a polygon defined by the points
- Transform a shape by moving,rotating and reflecting it
Intro to Coordinate Geometry