See Shaw Shine
Shaw Montessori Newsletter Week of August 30th, 2020
IN THIS ISSUE
- Message From Principal Engdall
- Message From Ms. (Hawkins) Collier
- Message From Laura Hildwein
- Enrollment Packets
- Attendance Announcement
- Free-Reduced Lunch Program
- Grab & Go Meals
- Message From Shaw PTA
- District Information
Message From Principal Engdall
So great to see so many of you at our first Site Council PTA meeting of the year this last Wednesday. I was touched by the questions that were asked about our campus, its spaces and inhabitants because our environment is exceptional and such a crucial part of our climate and culture. So instead of prose, enjoy pictures and please share them with the children.
Message From Ms. (Hawkins) Collier
Galileo Fall Benchmark
If you haven’t already completed the student/parent testing agreement that was posted in your student’s google classroom, please do so ASAP. Galileo testing will begin this week; we will finalize our schedule as soon as we verify the student logins provided by the district. Your student’s teacher will inform you of the scheduled testing days and your student’s required Galileo login.
In preparation for testing we recommend the following:
- Find a quiet, designated space in the home for your student to work that is free of distractions
- Keep your student’s computer power adapter plugged into the computer and charged throughout the test
- Students will need to test on a laptop or PC (no phones or tablets). If you need a student computer, please contact Jennifer Hawkins Jennifer.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Download the Zoom app on your child’s computer (it is our experience that Zoom runs more smoothly with the app) https://zoom.us/download
- Students should refer to the teachers who are monitoring for help.
Thank you in advance for your support in helping our fall benchmark test go smoothly. Please stay tuned for information provided by your child’s teacher.
Jennifer (Hawkins) Collier
Instructional Enrichment and Intervention Specialist (IEIS)
Augustus H. Shaw Montessori School
Message From Laura Hildwein
When in-person learning starts again, wearing a mask will most likely be a requirement. As your child will have to make many adjustments for a return to in-person learning, I would encourage you to have your child start to practice wearing their mask now. This will help to eliminate some frustration and stress when your students return to campus.
Tips for wearing a mask successfully:
- Explain that doctors are recommending we wear masks to protect ourselves and others. Masks help to keep the germs away.
- Validate your child’s concerns or fears about wearing a mask. Practice with the mask on stuffed animals. Look in the mirror with your child, with masks both on and off, until they feel more comfortable.
- Personalize the masks. Let your child choose the color or pattern on their mask. They can decorate plain masks with fabric markers.
- If your child is bothered by the straps behind their ears, sew buttons on a headband or hat to secure the mask instead.
- Make sure the mask is made of breathable material. Whether you buy or make your mask this will help make the mask more comfortable.
- Make sure the mask fits properly. Snug but not tight.
- Keep the mask clean. Wash it after every use. Your child may need more than one mask to get through the day.
- Choose masks that are light-colored. They will reflect, rather than absorb the heat.
- Make sure your child stays hydrated and knows how to find a safe place to take a “mask break”.
- Praise your child for wearing and using the mask properly.
To attain free masks if you are an educator, student or a member of a vulnerable population go to www.Azdhs.gov/ordermasks or call 800-503-6698 from 6-2 MST.
Laura Hildwein, social worker
We have over 100 enrollment packets that have not been turned in.
Enrollment paperwork must be completed and returned to us no later than Friday, September 4th.
It is imperative that we have your students updated forms on file (even when we are distance learning).
Thank you to everyone who picked up their enrollment packet and returned to us promptly.
Packets can be turned into the purple basket on the table in front of the office or, to our secured drop box (looks like a black mailbox) to the right of the office doors.
The parking lot is accessible M-F from 6am to 6pm.
Attendance is very important! It is directly related to the academic success of your child.
Attendance is being calculated differently than it is during in person instruction. On regular class days (Tuesday- Friday), your child will be seen on video by the teacher and counted as present for the day. On asynchronous learning Mondays your child can log in to work on IXL, upload work in Google Classrooms, post or send a message to the teacher- something to indicate that they were present for the day on Monday.
If your child is going to be tardy, absent, or leaving early, please communicate this via email with your child’s teacher. It is most important to let them know.
Free-Reduced Lunch Program
Please do not forget to apply! Regardless of eligibility our district requires every family to complete this application process for your child. Thank you!
************* Shaw, we are still missing meal applications from some families! *************
To complete the meal application so that our district can continue to provide this service to our families.
Shaw Montessori offers Grab & Go meals every Wednesday, 7:00am to 8:00am and 3:00pm to 5:00pm. Pickup will include 5 days of Grab & Go meals for a total of 10 for each enrolled Phoenix Elementary student. Pick up will be offered through the cafeteria backdoor, which is located between the large gates on the west side (13th St) main entrance of school. Thank you!
Message From Shaw PTA
SHAW’S FIRST VIRTUAL PTA MEETING!!! Did you miss it? Maybe? Probably….
We only had 17% of our families joining us. Come’on Shaw, I think we can do better! Currently, 8% of our community who has committed to membership will be making decisions for our students for this school year.
MEETING FOLLOW UP...YOU ASKED, WE ANSWERED…
We love people looking out for your peers. We heard you and understand your concern regarding equity and membership fees. The National PTA requires that only dues-paying members may vote on actions associated with local PTA group. Membership is vital to a strong PTA as it allows voting rights on important issues like elections, and budget funds.
Starting TODAY, we’ve set up a membership grant fund with additional donations generated through the membership sign-up process by community members. Anyone who would like to sponsor a family that is unable to pay, you can make an additional payment of $10.00 into our grant membership fund. In the comments section of CheddarUp (Membership payment platform) please note how many grant memberships you are donating.
For those incapable of paying membership dues but would like to support the PTA, please fill out this google form for a grant membership https://forms.gle/wAfvjgAM2yi9aoq46. The person of this form will remain confidential to the members at large and will only be viewed by elected board members. Within two (2) days of submitting the form, you will be notified that you are a scholarship recipient of the grant and will be entitled to full benefits of the PTA Membership.
For questions regarding sponsorship or would like more information about the grant program. Please feel free to contact the PTA board at ShawMontessoriPTA@gmail.com.
YOU MUST SIGN UP TO BE A MEMBER BY FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 4, 2020 IN ORDER TO BE ELIGIBLE TO VOTE IN THIS YEAR’S PTA ELECTIONS THAT WILL BE HELD FROM SEPTEMBER 13 - 19TH, 2020.
This year’s elections will be proctored by the Arizona PTA. A ballot will be sent out to the email address used for membership sign up. Once the election period closes, the Arizona PTA will count the ballots and notify us who won the election! Members will receive an email with the results.