Mrs. Farmer's ELA/Reading Classroom
Be a Trailblazer. Be a Writer.
Mrs. Farmer's Weekly News: Monday, 2/1-Friday, 2/5
- What a wonderful week in Mrs. Farmer's Class! The students worked with excellence in their writing and wrote wonderful essays!
- The students also worked on their video and audio skills to enhance their presentation skills which support the speaking standards in English Language Arts.
- We have another great week ahead!
Common Core Standards Covered This Week:
RL.6.1: Cite textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
L.6.1: Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.
RI.6.7: Integrate information presented in different media or formats.
W.6.2 Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas, concepts, and information of relevant content.
RL.6.10 By the end of the year, read and comprehend literature in the 6-8th grade complexity.
LEARNING TARGETS FOR THE WEEK:
I can cite textual evidence to support a claim.
I can identify identify grammar mistakes in a passage of writing and correct them.
I can write informational texts to examine a topic.
I can close read two reading passages, compare qualities of the narrators, and write an extended response.
I can read a variety of different texts.
Monday: Bellwork. Introduce the poem, Butterfly. Analyze poems of the Holocaust for themes and figurative language. Create a butterfly in honor of a Holocaust victim and support with textual evidence.
Tuesday: Bellwork. Read various components of The Diary of a Young Girl, and complete differentiated questions within groups utilizing technology to post answers.
Wednesday: Bellwork. Complete questions from Tuesday, and then finish butterfly project.
Thursday: Bellwork. Compare and contrast the film to the book, The Diary of a Young Girl.
Friday: Test on The Diary of a Young Girl.
Student Resources for the Week!
Writers of Excellence from this week! Way to go!
These winners enjoyed a certificate of achievement, a coupon to sit at a different table at lunch with a friend, and a week in our special area sitting (picture below). They loved the comfortable seats! :-) New winners will be announced tomorrow based on their weekly writing.
Mrs. Farmer's Writing Hall of Fame Winners!
Future Educators of America Club!
- Next meeting! Tuesday, February 9th after school until 4:15 p.m. (Please notice that the date moved back a week due to a meeting complication. Thank you!
- Two future opportunities in the works:
- Partnering with local school to teach a lesson to students. (After the Georgia Milestones Testing)
- Speaking to upcoming 5th graders on life at Madras Middle and as a sixth grader.