April 29th - May 3rd
Wednesday, May 8th-10th
- 4th Grade Outdoor Education
Wednesday, May 15th
- General PTO Meeting, 9am
- PTO "Thank you" Spring Luncheon, 11am
Thursday, May 23rd
- Before School Chorus Concert, 6:30pm
Monday, May 27th
- No School, Memorial Day
Thursday, May 30th
- Harper Student Council Fun Fair, 3:15pm
Wednesday, June 5th
- 4th Grade Farewell lunch
Thursday, June 6th
- Field Day!
Friday, June 14th
- Last Day of School
- 4th Grade Farewell Party, 3p-5p
Dr. Kick's Corner
-Thank you for your participation in parent/teacher conferences! The partnership between parents and teachers is critical and we very much appreciate your input and questions regarding your child's education.
-4th grade parents: The rising 5th grade (current 4th grade) parent night is April 30 at 7:00pm at Highcrest in the auditorium. See attached flyer.
-Our Harper garden and neighborhood gardens are bursting with color! Daffodils, hyacinths, and crocus once again announce the arrival of a long awaited season. That can mean only one thing; “May Day” is here!
Tradition indicates that on the first day of May, it is customary to share a small basket of flowers with friends and neighbors. The gesture is meant to spread joy, beauty, and good wishes to others.
Each classroom will create special May Day baskets that will come home. The basket should be given to a neighbor (one without Harper students) on May1st. Usually, but not necessarily, the basket/card is left on the doorstep/knob as a surprise! It is our hope that you can assist your child(ren) with this task. Please remember that the basket should be shared with a non-Harper family.
We thank you for your enthusiasm and cooperation with our May Day project. In a small way, we hope to extend a little springtime joy to others within our community. Happy May Day!
-Celebrate Dr. Lechner's retirement on Thursday, May 30th from 4:00-6:00pm at the MEC. See attached flyer.
Dr. Kick Outdoor Education Scholarship Fund
A Farewell Retirement Tribute – “The Dr. Kick Outdoor Education Scholarship Fund” – This PTO scholarship fund has been created as a retirement tribute to Dr Kick and her love of the Outdoor Ed Trips. The scholarship fund will offer financial assistance towards the Outdoor Ed tuition for Harper families for this year and future OE Trips. A portion of the proceeds from this years Movie Night (Peter Rabbit) will go directly to Dr Kick’s OE Scholarship fund. An online donation form is provided for any families wishing to donate. Please go to the PTO Website for more information and to donate directly to this wonderful tribute and cause. www.harperpto.com
School Kit Ordering starts Wednesday, May 1st. Don't spend your summer running around trying to find school supplies at the last minute - pre-order your child's kit and the supplies will be waiting for him/her on the first day of school! To place your order on Tuesday May 1st visit www.edukitinc.com and type in Harper to begin your order. Once your order is complete, you will receive a confirmation email and your student’s kit will be waiting for them in their classroom on the first day of school. Ordering runs from May 1st – May 17th. A portion of the sales from each school kit will be donated to the Harper PTO. Watch for a Harper email with ordering information on May 1st. Questions? Contact Erica Lockwood at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4th Grade End of Year Party
- Attention 4th Grade Parents
- The 4th Grade Farewell lunch will be held on Wednesday, June 5th and the End of Year Farewell Party will be June 14th from 3-5pm at Harper. Please return your order form (attached PDF below) and payment to your child's teacher or the front office by May 3rd. Also don't forget to send 4-5 photos of your child for the slideshow to: Harpergradparty2019@gmail.com by May 10th.
Harper Spring Movie Night
- Harper PTO Spring Movie Night presents: Peter Rabbit (PG)
- Get your tickets while they last!
- Friday, May 3rd - 6:00pm-8:00pm
- All Harper Students (K-4) are invited to laugh along with the antics of Peter Rabbit, Benjamin Bunny and gang as they sneak into Mr McGregor's veggie garden! Pajamas welcome and encouraged!
- Little Ceasar’s Cheese/Pepperoni Pizza, Lemonade and Water will be served in the cafeteria
- Sign up today as movie nights sell out quickly at: http://harperpto.com/harper-pto-movie-night/
- Cost: $20 for the first child, $10 for the second, and $5 for the third.
- Parents who volunteer at Movie Night can bring one child for FREE! Sign up to volunteer here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0844a8af28a02-harper1
- Space is limited to the first 115 kids. NO WALK-INS. All children must be registered in advance.
All Children must be walked into Harper for check in and picked up by an adult for check out. Sorry, NO DROP OFFS
- In the spirit of reusing, the Environmental Awareness Committee is organizing a FURNITURE/HOME FURNISHINGS DRIVE with Habitat For Humanity of Lake County. What began as a neighborhood drive has now expanded to the whole village with collections happening over several days. The tentative dates are Wed, May 28-Saturday, June 1. They will accept cabinets, tile, lighting, outdoor furniture, tools, leather furniture, appliances (less than 7 years old), and MUCH MORE. They will come to your house to collect large items. For smaller ones, a central drop off location will be designated. All donations are tax deductible.
- If you are interested and hey, even if you want to help organize or promote this, please email email@example.com. Thank you!
PASS39 April Update Newsletter
- Please open the attached word doc below to see what events and services are being offered this month.
- Families are highly encouraged to sign up to receive the monthly newsletter emails.
- District 39 and the surrounding suburbs continuously offer wonderful opportunities for families who have children with special needs!
FAN (Family Action Network)
- FAN welcomes Professor Matthew Nock, Ph.D. Harvard University for two events presenting on Recent Advances in the Understanding, Prediction, and Prevention of Suicidal Behavior Wed, May 1at 7p at New Trier High School, Winnetka Campus, Gaffney Auditorium 385 Winnetka Ave., Winnetka, IL 60093 and CEU hours available for GRAND ROUNDS Using New Technologies to Advance the Understanding on Thurs, May 2, 9:00-10:30 AM at New Trier High School, Northfield Campus, Cornog Auditorium 7 Happ Rd., Northfield, IL 60093. Go to www.familyactionnetwork.net for CEU registration.
- FAN presents Psychologist and Author Lisa Damour, Ph.D. talking about Under Pressure: Confronting the Epidemic of Stress and Anxiety in Youth on Wed, May 8 at 7p at New Trier High School, Winnetka Campus, Gaffney Auditorium 385 Winnetka Ave., Winnetka, IL 60093 and CEU hours available at GRAND ROUNDS Thurs May 9, at 9-10:30a at New Trier High School, Northfield Campus, Cornog Auditorium 7 Happ Rd., Northfield, IL 60093. Go to www.familyactionnetwork.net for CEU registration.
FAN is bringing Author Emily Bazelon to present on the topic of Charged: The New Movement to Transform American Prosecution and End Mass Incarceration on Mon May 20 7p Evanston Township High School Auditorium 1600 Dodge Ave., Evanston, IL 60201.Interviewer: Professor and Author Geoffrey R. Stone.
Community Service Corner & News
2019-2020 Connecting Kids Preschool Openings
Housed within Romona School is the Connecting Kids Preschool Program. The half-day sessions for three, four and five year-old children are specifically designed to prepare children for District 39 kindergarten classrooms. With structured play, planned pre-academic instruction, differentiated learning, and vocabulary development, Connecting Kids provides an excellent foundation for all children. Reserve a spot for your child in next fall's three, four or five year-old classes.
Registration is still open and spots are still available! Registration forms can be found online here.
Wilmette Historical Museum & Wilmette Police Department host Open Houses on Sunday, May 5th from 11:00 am - 2:00 pm.
North Suburban Special Recreation Association (NSSRA) offers year-round recreation programming for disabled individuals. “Camp Yardigans” is a new camp offered this summer. Registration deadline is April 26th.
Trevian Girls Softball Association is seeking a few more 9/10 year old girls (4th/5th graders) interested in playing spring/summer softball. Contact Kelsey Lee at Klee@trevians.org for more information.
Trevian Juniors is a softball program for girls ages 6-10. Go to the website for tryout information.
Oakton Community College hosts summer STEAM camps and classes for students ages 8-12. Registration is now open.
Northwestern’s Center for Talent Development offers Weekend Enrichment Programs for students age 3 through 8th grade.
Love to sing? Youth Choral Theatre of Chicago offers a free vocal training class with flyer. Vocal classes available for children ages 4-18.
The Center Fitness Club schedule and various park district classes for children are posted.
Wilmette Food Pantry is open every Tuesday 10:30-11:30 am at Trinity United Methodist Church.
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Liz Hayes via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org