A newsletter for Alta Vista Staff~Week of October 8, 2018
Don't Forget! Next Week's Calendar
- Staff Inservice on Monday, October 8 (see schedule below)
- Bears for Books (Gr 3) on Tuesday, October 9 at 9:15 am
- Teacher of the Year Nominations due to Ms. Berryhill on Wednesday, October 9
- Faculty Meeting on Wednesday, October 9 **BRING YOUR TTESS/SLO MATERIALS**
- Math Coaching with Mr. A (Reg 12) on Wednesday, October 9
- Reading PLCs on Thursday, October 10
- Kinder Field Trip to Pumpkin Patch on Thursday, October 10
- Bears for Book (Gr 3) on Thursday, October 11 at 10:45 am
- House Parties on Friday, October 12 (see schedule below)
- House Points Plan for Academic Achievement (by grade level) due to Helton on Friday, October 12 (see below for more information)
- Sic 'Em Science Day at Mayborn Museum on Saturday, October 13 at 1:00-4:00 pm
Coming Up: Hero Night on 10/16 from 5:30-7:30 pm; Book Talk Day on 10/26
October 8 Professional Development Schedule
If you are not at professional development, you should be working on campus and planning with your team. All teachers are expected to attend the Objectives & Products training on campus at 1:00 pm unless you have another session to attend.
Dress for Monday is PROFESSIONAL. Remember that you are representing Alta Vista Elementary at professional development sessions. As stated in our campus handbook, behavior should be professional, and you should be an active listener and participant. Cell phone use during presentations should be kept to a minimum (emergencies only).
House Party Schedule for Friday, October 12
- 8:15-5th Grade
- 9:00-1st Grade
- 9:45-2nd Grade
- 10:30-4th Grade
- 11:15-3rd Grade
We will meet on the basketball court so please don't use this area for recess that day! Bring your spirit and get your class PUMPED UP!!
Each grade level needs to submit a plan to Mrs. Helton on how they will award House Points for academic achievement for each six weeks. Plans are due to Mrs. Helton by Friday, October 12.
From Your Captain
Sign up for our staff REMIND message system and receive important news via text. To sign up, enter the number 81010 and text this message: @avesta
Nominate a teach for campus Teacher of the Year. Turn it in to Ms. Berryhill by Wednesday, October 10! Forms are in the staff lounge.
Don't forget to nominate students for GT. Forms found here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1jnMoqJ3VxSXZSJsXiJwvJd8cAed8gQ3l?usp=sharing
Staff Members of the Week!
Congratulations to NURSE LEATHERS for being our new Paraprofessional of the Week. She has shown exceptional kindness to staff members in need.
Congratulations to MRS. DRAKE for being our Teacher of the Week. She had of all of her TTESS/SLO completed on time, has planned regularly with our district math coach, and kicked off the year with great district math scores.
NEW Staff Attendance Incentives
Weekly Perfect Attendance: Weekly drawing (1 teacher winner; 1 paraprofessional winner) to pick a fabulous prize from our Staff Treasure Chest!
Discuss why putting hands on each other is not safe or respectful. Brainstorm ways to solve problems with each other that doesn't result in fighting. Discuss ways to calm down during times of upset. Review how fighting makes the rest of the students feel when it happens.
Blended Learning Information
- Blended Learning: Planning and Lesson Design Professional Development on October 11, 2018 at 4:30 PM-:30 PM at North Waco Elementary
- Blended Learning District Committee Meeting on October 15 at 4:30-5:30 at Admin Building
- BLENDED LEARNING BOOK STUDY-You will need a copy of "Blended Learning in Action: A Practical Guide Toward Sustainable Change" by Catlin Tucker. If you need a copy, email Lisa Monthie by Oct 22nd, as copies are limited. This book study will be hosted in Google Classroom (ONLINE!). We will collaborate on discussion questions, use technology tools for reflection and applying information, and share resources and implementation ideas. Book study starts November 5.
Book Talk Day
We also need teachers to volunteer for Book Talks! The first 4 teachers to create a Book Talk and email/text it to Mrs. Helton will receive a $50 credit to Lakeshore. After that, you can do a Book Talk each month to earn free books for your classroom.
Here is an article with some great ideas & resources for using Google Slides in your classroom: https://shakeuplearning.com/blog/12-google-slides-resources-that-will-make-your-day/
We will be reading Alistair & Kips Great Adventure by J. Segal.
In addition, Junior League will be doing a story telling event and passing out "The Day the Crayons Quit" to every family that attends the story telling.
United Way will be sharing their new Born Learning Trail installed recently at Alta Vista Park. Families will be encouraged to explore.
3rd, 4th, and 5th grade will be performing special music at 7:00 pm. THIS IS A CHANGE. With so many great things happening that night (including free food), we are extending the time from 5:30-7:30 pm. However, grade level activities will shut do at 7:00 for the music performance, and teachers may leave as soon as their area is cleaned up.
If you are a paraprofessional that would like to help, let Mrs. Helton know so we can get EDR's prepared. First come, first serve!