By: Aimon Anwar
A magnet attracts iron (or other materials). Magnets have a north and south pole and display properties of magnetism.
3. Magnet Materials
Iron- found in iron ore (mines in the heartland)
Nickle- most nickle is in Earth's core
4. Types of Magnets
- Electromagnet- A magnet that only attracts metal when generated with electricity
- Permanent- A material that is ALWAYS magnetic
- Ferromagnet- A material that needs to be magnetized. This material is easily magnetized.
- Year: 620 B.C.
- Facts: Thales wrote scientific reports about lodestone quantities. He lived between 625 B.C. to about 545 B.C. He was Greek and Aristotle gave him credit for discovering magnetism.
- Pliny the Elder
- Year: Unknown
- Facts: Pliny was the first to describe the properties of lodestone. He lived between 23 A.D. AND 79 A.D. He was Roman.
- Magnetic compasses used for direction
- Toasters (electromagnet)
- Wind Mills (generator)
- Fans (motors)
- Used in speakers (convert electrical energy to sound)
- "Iron Ore." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 20 Feb. 2015. Web. 15 Mar. 2015.
- "Nickel Metal - The Facts." Nickel Metal - The Facts. Nickle Institute, n.d. Web. 15 Mar. 2015.
- "Evil Mad Scientist Laboratories." Evil Mad Scientist Laboratories. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Mar. 2015.
- "Iron Nails For Hand Embroidery Adda." Iron Nails For Hand Embroidery Adda. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Mar. 2015.
- "AutoLoader Auto-Loading Multi-Bit Screwdriver." Vat19. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Mar. 2015.