Third Grade Weekly Update
February 26- March 2, 2018
February 22 - Expo - NISD's Showcase - all families welcome!
February 23 - Six Flags Read to Succeed Logs due
Elm Fork Field Trip
February 28 - Reading Benchmark Test
March 6 - Open House and Fine Arts Night from 5:00 – 6:30 pm
March 8 - Math Benchmark Test
Week of March 12th- Spring Break
April 10 and April 11- CLOSED Campus for STAAR Testing
April 14 - WatchDOGS “Daddy-Daughter Dance” will be at JES
What We Are Learning This Week
- What are starategies for multiplication?
Below is the multiplication song for students to learn their skip counting! This is a great song to listen to at night or in the car. Open it and save it for easy access!
**We are continuing our biography projects this week. Your child will read a biography in class this week and this will be his/her person for our upcoming Night at the Museum to be performed during Open House, March 6th. More information will be coming home soon.**
- Test-taking genre: How do you read poetry in the test-taking genre?
- Review: What are the four types of poetry?
- How does analyzing mood, sensory language, and author's message give me a better understanding of the poem?
- Test-taking genre: How do you read fiction in the test-taking genre?
- What is the theme of a story?
- How does focusing on character interactions and story elements help me understand the text?
- How do you write a speech?
- What information needs to be in a speech?
- How can you write about your learning in an interesting way?
- Review sheet sent home Monday.
- What are the proofs for they're, there, and their?
- Please review the vocabulary for the week with your child.
- What are food chains?
- How is energy transferred through the food chain?
- Researching biography person
- How did my person impact their community?
- What are they famous for?
- What struggles did they face on the road to success?
Box Top Contest – JES earns 10 cents for each Box Top. Our last check was $813.60!! The next contest will be by CLASS. The CLASS that brings the highest percentage of Box Tops will get to play a basketball game called “Hot Shot” with collegiate athlete, our Assistant Principal, Mrs. Oakley. Start sending them to school ASAP to get the competition rolling AND because some of the box tops expire in March (PTA will send those in early). Final deadline for class basketball contest is Friday, March 2nd.
- Expo is a district wide event that celebrates students learning from K-12, all subjects.
- Check out the 2018 Expo passport to encourage more student participation at presentations other than their own!
- Submissions can include demonstrations, presentations, or interactive experiences.
- This is a short, informational video that will help explain some of the changes to your teachers. Feel free to send it out if you if you think it will help clarify some changes.
Have you Ordered a JES Yearbook?
If you forgot, search your emails for email@example.com for a receipt of your online order. Yearbooks are over 72 pages of full color for only $17. Place orders at https://www.yearbookordercenter.com/index.cfm/jobSearch/displayHome Code = 20190
Deadline is April 1st.