G.W.T. Weekly Newsletter
March 28, 2021
Just a reminder to all 2nd Graders: The Alabama Comprehensive Assessment Program (ACAP) test will be given to our 2nd grade students April 6-15th . Students will be taking tests in both reading and math. All 2nd grade students (traditional and virtual students) must take this required state test. So if you have a 2nd grader, please make sure they are at school on time each day. The schedule for testing is attached below.
We are making plans for some upcoming events (Honors Day, Kindergarten/1st Grade Spring Program, and Field Day). All events will be held outside. Stay tuned for more information!
Dates to Remember
April 5th-30th- End of Year STAR Reading, Math, and CBM tests.
April 6-15th- ACAP Testing for ALL 2nd grade students.
April 23rd- Vision Research will conduct vision screenings for Kindergarten and 2nd grade students.
April 27th - Kindergarten and 1st grade Spring Music Program presents-Ei-Ei-OOPS!
May 7th- Field Day
May 11th- Honors Day Program
Focus Area: Phonemic Awareness
Phonemic awareness is not the sounding out of words, reading of words, spelling patterns, or words. Rather, it is the foundation for phonics and reading success. Phonemic awareness is the ability to hear and manipulate the sounds in spoken words, and the understanding that spoken words and syllables are made up of sequences of speech sounds.
Ways to practice at home.
1) Nursery Rhymes – Read nursery rhymes to your child and have them help you guess the rhyming word in each sentence.
2) Dr. Seuss Books – Dr. Seuss books are great to read to your child because they are full of rhymes. Read them to your child and have them help you guess the rhyming words.
3) Guess that Beginning Sound – During car trips think of different words to tell your child. See if they can guess what beginning sound they start with.
4) Make a list – Make a pretend shopping list with your child with items that can only begin with a certain sound (C – carrots, corn, cake).
5) Penny Push – Give your child 5 pennies. Place a picture on the table. Have them push up a penny for each sound they hear in the word.
6) Heads, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes – Give your child with 1 – 4 sounds (I, to, cat, dogs) and have them stand and touch their head, shoulders, knees, and toes as they are saying the sounds in the word.
7) Bean Bag Toss – Hand your child 5 bean bags. Give them a word. Have them toss a bean bag in a bucket for each sound they hear in the word. For each bean bag they make in the bucket, they get a point.
8) Phoneme Jump – Place a green, yellow, and red mat on the floor and give your child a word. Have them jump to each mat for each sound they hear in the word.
9) Silly Putty – Give your child some silly putty and a word. Have them stretch the silly putty for each sound they hear in the word.
10) Down By the Bay – Sing the song “Down by the Bay” and have your child come up with their own rhyme at the end (“Have you ever seen a bee drinking some tea?”)
First Grade Newsletter
Second Grade Newsletter
Cyber Tigers Connect!
Hey Cyber Tiger Parents and Students!
ACAP Testing for 2nd grade begins April 6th (see schedule above). Please make sure your child is at school on April 8th and April 15th for testing. This is a required state test.
End of year STAR Reading, STAR Math, and STAR CBM is coming soon. Virtual students will need to be at school for this assessment, too. We will be calling to set up a schedule for your child's STAR test soon.
Please make sure you are completing your assignments on time. If you have trouble, please contact us through the email link below.
You can still reach us through the virtual email account at email@example.com
Breakfast and Lunch
All students will eat breakfast and lunch free for the remainder of the 2020-2021 school year!!