Friend or Foe?
What is Nuclear Energy?
How Does Nuclear Fission Work?
Reactors Used in Power Plants
- Radioactive Waste- waste produced must be disposed safely since they are extremely hazardous.
- Nuclear Radiation- it can be very harmful if introduced in nature.
- High Cost- they cost a lot of money to build and they take 5-10 years to build. Not every country can afford building a nuclear power plant, so it's not an alternative source for most countries.
- Impact on Human Life- radiation does not go away quickly; if an accident occurred, people would be seriously affected for a very long time.
- Fuel Availability-uranium is a scarce resource that only a few counties have.
- National Risk- accidents happen, and if an accident occurred in a nuclear power plant everyone in the country would be seriously affected.
CAUSE- While running a test, the unit 4 reactor had a power surge and the automatic shutdown was disabled causing an explosion.
EFFECTS- It caused the largest uncontrolled radioactive release into the environment. It also caused serious social and economic disruption. It was responsible for nearly 7,000 cases of thyroid cancer among individuals younger than 18.
How Radiation Affects the Ecosystem
CAUSE- An earthquake caused a 15-meter tsunami, which caused the reactors to melt.
EFFECTS- Really high amounts of radioactive material were released in the few following days of the accident. Over 100,000 people had to evacuate their homes. Over 1,000 people died from maintaining the evacuation. The lives of the people in Fukushima are still affected today.
Can be very harmful if released to the atmosphere.
Used to fuel nuclear power plants.
Atoms are combined to form larger atoms; which release energy through the process.
- " The Chernobyl 4 reactor contained about 190 metric tons of uranium dioxide fuel and fission products. About 30% escaped into the atmosphere." -NEI
- "Radioactive wastes take almost 10,000 years to get back to the original form." -CFF
- "The sun produces energy by nuclear fusion." -NNR
- "Matter disappears during nuclear fission." -For Dummies
- "Over 100,000 people had to evacuate their home ( Fukushima accident )." -WNA