March 19th - 23rd
- No School- Spring Break
April 3rd-6th, 9th-12th
- PARCC testing grades 3/4
Monday, April 16th
- 4th grade Music Showcase at HMS
Thursday, April 19th
- Early Release-Parent/Teacher Conferences (11:55 1st-4th, no AM kindergarten and PM kindergarten attends 8:35-10:00 AM)
Friday, April 20th
- No School-Parent/Teacher Conferences
Dr. Kick's Corner
- Placement information is needed by March 23rd.
- 4th Grade Parents: The 5th Grade parent placement input form comes out after Spring Break. Highcrest will send you an email directly in April and it will be posted on their website.
Back by popular demand...
Harper PTO Movie Night presents:
All Harper Students (K-4) are invited to come enjoy this classic tale about a gentle bull.
It going to be a TON of fun!
Join us in the auditorium:
Friday, April 27, 2017
6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Little Ceasar’s Cheese/Pepperoni Pizza, Lemonade and Water will be served in the cafeteria
Sign up here by Friday, April 20th
$15 for the first child, $10 for the second, and $5 for the third.
All children must be walked into Harper for check in and picked up by an adult for check out. NO DROP OFFS.
We request that cell phones and other devices be left at home. Thanks!
Parents who volunteer at Movie Night can bring one child for FREE! Sign up here
Cyber Safety Presentations
For the first time, our D39 Elementary schools are joining together to give you an opportunity to gain insight on keeping your child safe online. We are all facing challenges as we raise our children in an age where the social rules of technology are changing almost daily. Please join us for a presentation that is specific to navigating our younger children through the world online.
Wednesday, March 21st at 9am in the Harper Elementary School Auditorium
This General PTA/PTO Meeting is open to any D39 parent with kids in grades K-4.
Our presenter is Tony DeMonte, Director of Technology and Media Services for District 39.
Topics to be discussed are:
• Creating boundaries with mobile devices
• Potentially dangerous apps
• Social media
• Inappropriate content
There will be an opportunity to ask questions at the end. We are delighted to offer this open meeting with Tony,TWICE! So carpool over with some friends for an evening at Central School or a morning at Harper and let’s get this conversation started.
As some of you may know, Youth Connection will be dissolving at the end of this school year. We have been fortunate to benefit from many years of Youth Connection service and support that has had a positive impact on HMS and WJHS students and so many D39 families.
For the future, we are committed to offering after school programming at both HMS and WJHS, and we are working with Youth Connection during this transition process. Reports at D39 Board of Education meetings in the coming months will provide details on what will be available for students. We will have programs ready for students when they return for the 2018-19 school year.
- Ready, set, GROW…with the Harper Garden Club! Garden Club is an 8-week club beginning Monday, April 9th and continuing each Monday until June 4th. The Garden Club meets from 3:15-4:30pm. The sign up opens on the Harper PTO website on Tuesday, March 20th and costs $80. Space is limited to first 12 students. For more info, contact Ali Straitiff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Harper Garden is open for Lunch Recess volunteers! The days are getting slightly warmer and there are green shoots coming up in the garden. Volunteering in the garden is a great way to see your child during the school day and younger siblings are welcome. Sign up here or at harperpto.com. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
- The District 39 Educational Foundation is hosting a family event fundraiser with a viewing of a classic movie at the Wilmette Theatre (1122 Central Ave.) on Sunday, April 15 at 3PM. Celebrate “The Princess Bride” with the whole family and support Wilmette’s public schools at the same time! Featuring a costume contest before the show. Dress up as one of your favorite characters to add to the fun!
- Looking to get involved and be on the PTO next year? There are a few opportunities left- don't miss out! We are looking for vounteers for the following: Exec Board- President Elect, Secretary and Communications Assistant. We are also looking for the following Committee Board Members: Bike Safety, Community Service, Community Review Committee, Directory & Membership, Enrichment for Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th grade, Fourth Grade Farewell Party, Harper Hoedown, Hospitality, Jr. Great Books, Library Coordinator, Nominating for 2019/20 PTO Board, Pass39 Building Coordinator, Parent Social, Teacher/Staff Appreciation, iGNITE assistant, Box Tops, Yearbook Assistants. Please contact Arielle Heneghan if you are interested at firstname.lastname@example.org. Come be part of this amazing PTO and give back to the kids!!
- Do you have a child going to Highcrest next year? The HMS PTO needs you! We have positions open on both the executive and general boards and it is a wonderful way to get involved in the HMS community! Please contact Lisa Hirschle at email@example.com if you are interested in any of the following: Exec Board - Assistant Treasurer; General Board - iGNITE co-chair, Spirit Wear, Enrichment co-chairs for both 5th and 6th grade, Environmental Awareness, 5th Grade Connections, Freaky Friday/Luau Madness, Parent Connections, Assistant Webmaster, Yearbook Orders for 5th grade, Teacher Appreciation co-chairs for 5th grade, Civics and Safety, and School Store co-chairs.
- Link to community events: http://www.wilmette39.org/news/community_events/
FREE Adult English Language Classes will be offered at Highcrest Middle School for 5 weeks; April 5-May 3rd.-see attached flyer
Regina Dominican offers a Spring Basketball Clinic March 24th for 4th - 7th graders.
Wilmette Public Library’s "One Book, Everybody Reads" featuring Amor Towles discussing his best-selling novel A Gentleman in Moscow at WJHS Auditorium April 22nd at 3:00 pm
Little Legends Soccer Academy offers soccer training for boys & girls ages 2-8.
Wilmette Baseball Spring House League registration is open.
Illinois Baseball Academy is registering boys & girls 3-6 years old. Register individually or as a group and form your own team.
FAN (Family Action Network)
- Wednesday, March 21st: Author and Fellow Richard Rothstein for 2 events on "The Color of Law: A Forgotten History of How Our Government Segregated America" EVENT #1 (requires RSVP at www.familyactionnetwork.net): 12 pm Loyola University Chicago School of Law Ceremonial Courtroom, 10th Floor 25 E. Pearson St., Chicago, IL 60611 EVENT #2: 7 pm Evanston Township High School Auditorium 1600 Dodge Ave., Evanston, IL 60201. No RSVP required for evening event at ETHS.
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Adriane McKnight via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org