K-C Weekly News
December 18, 2015
What you really need to know
Please accept my heartfelt thanks and best wishes to you and yours for a really wonderful new year.
Mark your calendar.
12/22 - Welcome to Winter Craft Day in Kindergarten
12/24/15-1/3/16 Winter Break
1/4/16 - School resumes
1/13 - Early release day at 12:15
1/18 - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day - NO SCHOOL
1/19 - Delayed opening - NO AM KINDERGARTEN, PM KASE in session
What we've been up to.
- We expertly decorated foot-long candy canes with ABC and ABCD patterns. Then we hung them on the wall head to tail and measured how many candy canes tall each of is. Then we invited our third grade reading buddies to measure themselves too! the following day, we used miniature 3-inch candy canes to measure smaller scale objects around the classroom.
- As participants in the national HOUR of CODE initiative, we enjoyed a visit with our technology teacher, Mrs. Martell, who taught us how to use CODE using simple commands to steer robot-bugs around a map, an alphabet chart and a number line.
- We met a little stuffed toy gingerbread man who we welcomed to our class by tossing him around the group as the "ball" for a morning greeting. At one point he was expertly flipped in the air, his little shorts flew off, and he miraculously snagged himself on a pushpin on the bulletin board and just hung there helplessly. Needless to say, learning was suspended for ten minutes while we all laughed ourselves silly.
- Our question of the day this week has focused on letter and sound fluency. Students are challenged to read a group of letters and make their sounds in quick succession.
- We read How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss and talked about what's really important to celebrate during the holidays, even if a green guy doesn't come and steal all your presents.
- In writing, we are learning to put spaces in between our words. We use spacemen as placeholders so our words aren't all bunched up.
Links of the week.
Interested in coding at home? Try this!
Winter is coming! Get these kids ready for recess!
Build very cool pictures with shapes! Just click and drag on the colored shapes to make an original work of art.
Because the new Grinch can't compare to the classic Grinch
The things kids say. For real.
Mrs. Cohen: I am going to use this guy to help me to write today.
Student 1: It's an astronaut!
Student 2: It's Luke Skywalker!
Student 3: It's gigantic!
Mrs. Cohen: Well, it's a spaceman. Because his job is to help make spaces between my words while I write.
Student 4: Spacemen aren't supposed to write. They are supposed to go into space.
Mrs. Cohen: Yes. Look. He goes into this SPACE. Right here in between these words.
Make the bug move from letter to letter.
How many ways can you combine the shapes?
How tall are you?
Candy Cane measurement with third grade buddies.