Panther Newsletter -- February 27, 2015
Congratulations to our 5th grade class for completing the DARE (Drug Abuse Resistance Education) program. For the past ten weeks, 5th grade students have been participating in the DARE program with Officer Terry Hammerstone, who is associated with the Springfield Police Department. Some of the topics discussed included alcohol and tobacco abuse; making good decisions; handling peer pressure; avoiding violence; keeping control of your life; and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. The graduation ceremony and celebration was held on Wednesday, 2/25.
Please don't hesitate to bring your questions or concerns to me at any time--my door is always open or you can reach me at (610) 847-5131 x6001 or email@example.com.
Springfield Elementary Principal
Did You Know?
- The snow day on Feb 17th will be made up on Monday, April 6th. Please mark your calendar.
- Updates can be made to your Contact Manager by following the emailed link & directions from Donna Holmes on 2/13. *Please note: If you would like to change an email or a phone number for your student, you MUST contact the school secretary.
- March 14th is National Pi Day! This year, Pi Day will have special significance at 9:26:53 am & pm, with the date & time representing the first 10 digits of π. It is also, appropriately enough, Albert Einstein's birthday!
3/2- Read Across America Day; Troy Hein visit; Celebrate Dr. Seuss' birthday: wear red/white/black to school!
3/2- SEPTA meeting, 6:30p, Springfield library and live-streamed. Agenda includes future SEPTA events and purchases. Please bring your ideas and suggestions.
3/4- Ribbon Cutting for new Chris Crevling Fitness Center, 6:30p, PHS. Public welcome.
3/4- Board Meeting, 7:30p, PHS Library. All welcome.
3/6- School Store open during lunch/recess
3/11- Internet Safety Night for Parents, 6pm, Dur-Nox: trends, what to look for, & how to protect your child. Rich Kiker, Palisades Director of Online Learning. Register here.
3/11- Education Programs & Services, 7pm, PHS Audion
3/12- One day Food Drive for Operation Helping Hand - Springfield Student Council
3/13- Panther Pride Assembly, 2:30p, Springfield Gym
3/13- Movie Night, Big Hero 6, Springfield Gym, doors open 6:45p
3/13, 14 & 15- The Sound of Music at PHS Auditorium. Flier
3/17- Spring pictures taken, Sibling shots available: contact Mrs. Burns to arrange prior.
Upcoming Sports / Activities
2/28- Storybook Theater presents Reading is Magical
3/1- Sport Cup Stacking Tournament registration deadline (event date: 3/21)
3/7- Concert in the Round (ages 4-12), 10-11am, Delaware Valley College. Flier
3/11- Final Baseball/T-ball registration, 6pm, Silver Creek Clubhouse
3/13- Soccer Night at Springfield, 3:45-4:45pm: learn to play. Flier
3/13- Resilient Kids/Stress Management Techniques, 12:30p, Central Bucks-YMCA. Flier
3/21- Sport Cup Stacking Tournament, PALMS (entry deadline 3/1)
SEPTA Family Movie Night - 3/13
(follow the link to a bigger flier)
Doors open at 6:45pm, Movie starts at 7pm in the Gym.
Plan to stay & enjoy this movie with your children--
ALL Springfield families are welcome!
Outdoor Recess Guidelines
- If the real feel (which includes the wind chill) temp is between 15 - 25 degrees, students will have an abbreviated outdoor recess anywhere between 5 - 15 minutes at the discretion of the teaching assistants
- If the real feel (including the wind chill) temp is 25 degrees or higher, students will have regular outdoor recess
- However, if the blacktop has snow/ice on it, students will not be able to go out.
- Please make sure that your child is dressed appropriately for the cold weather (i.e. jacket, hat, gloves, etc.)
- Snow pants and snow boots are required for children to leave the blacktop to play in the snow
Scholastic Book Fair
The Co-chair is in charge of reserving the building use and organizing the volunteers as well as requesting start-up change from SEPTA, set up/pack up and opening or closing registers each day of the Book Fair. The opportunity to shadow the current co-chair is available during the May Scholastic Book Fair. Please contact Michele Carson with any questions. Thank you!
2nd Grade Heart Work
-- Kudos --
3rd Grade Authors
All the third graders are now published authors! They wrote a book on Rights and Responsibilities of U.S. Citizens and sent it out for publication. It may be available in the Springfield Library Collection soon! The kids are very proud of what they’ve accomplished!
Pictured below is Ms. Borzok's class--Mrs. Rabi's class was pictured in the last newsletter.
Internet Safety Night for Parents - FREE!
Rich Kiker, our Director of Online Learning, will host a talk about Internet Safety - what are the trends, what to look for and how to protect your child - follow this link to register for this important session -- March 11th at 6PM at Durham Nockamixon.
All parents & guardians welcome! Keep Your Child Safe!
100th Day of School
Board Meeting-- February 18th
FIVE THINGS THAT YOU SHOULD KNOW FROM THE LAST SCHOOL BOARD MEETING:
1. Tenure has been attained by the following professionals – click HERE for more information about their credentials and backgrounds. Congratulations to:
- Amy Doll - Counselor, Springfield Elementary
- Nina (Campellone) Piper - English Teacher, PHS
- Amy Trieu - English Teacher, PHS
2. A bond refinance was approved saving more than $100,000/year in debt services.
3. The senior class trip was discussed; motion for approval on the agenda for 3/4.
4. Regretfully, resignations were accepted from Dr. Andrea Farina (PALMS Principal) and Jack Tussman (veteran advisor for Cybersonics Team).
5. April 6th is now a regular school day - please be sure to update your calendar.
The next regular meeting of the Palisades School Board is scheduled for Wednesday, March 4th at 7:30PM. We will be holding a brief ribbon cutting ceremony for the opening of the NEW Chris Creveling Fitness Center at the High School at 6:30PM to thank those who were involved in the purchase of our new equipment and to showcase our NEW layout and the new equipment! Please join us for some light refreshments and check out the fitness center--open to the public!
For more meeting information, contact Tamara Rambo.
Cuddle Up with a good book day
Social networking is so prevalent in our world. How do we as parents decide when and what our children get involved with in social networking? Here are some some tips on deciding if and when your child may be ready for social networking.
Comments, Thoughts, Ideas
Did anything in this newsletter make you say "Huh?" or "What's that all about?" Please let me know and we'll follow up with more information. Just click on the green "Contact Lyla Cookson" or email directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For the safety of our children, PLEASE do not share this newsletter on any of the social media sites.