The Paw Print
Kleb Intermediate Parent Newsletter, Back to School Edition
The Principal's Message
Welcome back, Bearcubs! Can you believe that the 2017-18 school year is fast approaching? We are so excited to see our returning Cubs, and are looking forward to extending a warm welcome to our incoming 6th graders and new students! I want to assure both parents and students that our staff has been hard at work getting ready to meet the needs of each and every CUB, so that our kids are growing into Continuous Learners and Understanding Citizens who are Building Responsibility in themselves and others.
There are a few new, exciting changes starting this school year that will help us better serve the needs of all students. First, we have restructured our assistant principal and counselors into grade level student support teams! This will allow us to have more hands on deck to know every Bearcub, by name and by need. Assistant principals, and secretaries in each grade level will move up with their students...so they can form lasting, deep relationships with each student throughout their experience at Kleb Intermediate! Our new 6th grade office is still under construction, so bare with us for the few missing extensions...but if you have any questions please call the front office and they will help direct your call! See information below for details about your new support team.
6th grade: 9:01 a.m.- 4:21 p.m.
7th & 8th grade: 9:05 a.m. - 4:25 p.m.
Also changing is the district school calendar; starting this year we will move to the quarter system at the secondary to match our elementary feeders! Click here for a copy of this year's school calendar.
Additionally, as we get ready for a great back-to-school start, I want to let you know about a few important upcoming activities and events on campus:
- Thursday, August 17th--1:1 Technology Informational Meeting, 6:00 pm, Kleb Library-for those new to our campus Chromebook 1:1 initiative to make our students Future Ready, this informational meeting will give a brief overview and walk you through the registration process!
- Thursday, August 17th--School Supply Sale-School supplies, spirit shirts, locks and PTO memberships will be available to pick up on this date. This year all sales are online--prepay here! Computers available onsite for anyone without access to a computer. Returning 7th/8th grade students can come by any time from 12pm to 3pm. New students and 6th graders can come by in conjunction with New Student Orientation between 6:30pm and 8pm.
- Thursday, August 17th--New Student Orientation-We invite all incoming 6th graders and new Bearcubs to come check out our school between 6:30 and 8pm in a come-and-go fashion. Tentative schedules and locker assignments will be available, as well as our first annual club fair and a digital scavenger hunt to help you get familiar with the building!
- Monday, August 21st--The First Day of School!--Kleb opens its doors starting at 8:30am on the first day of school. 6th graders will report to the gym and 7th/8th graders report to the cafeteria to pick up their schedules. 6th grade students will be escorted to class by their first period teacher shortly after the 6th grade welcome pep rally! Note that lunch lines may be longer than normal on the first day as students get acclimated to the lunch routine. All students will have the opportunity to eat lunch whether they purchase a lunch at school or bring their own. Bus assignments will be posted and available for reference throughout the school day.
- Wednesday, August 30th--Chromebook Rollout Day--Students will receive their Chromebook at the beginning of the day. Make sure you have paid your ADLP fee and signed the agreement form through SchoolCash online (access it here) before Monday, August 28th to ensure your child gets their Chromebook in the first rollout.
- Monday, September 4th--No School--Labor Day Holiday
- Tuesday, September 5th--Fall pictures--Details to come home with your child soon!
- Thursday, September 14th--Kleb Open House--Come meet your child's teacher and celebrate their learning at our Open House starting at 6:30! Information sheets will come home with your child the Monday before the event.
Please contact us at 832-249-5500 if you have any questions about any of the above information. I hope you enjoy the remaining weeks of summer vacation...and see you soon, Bearcubs!
Kleb Intermediate Principal
Don't forget! All families register online before school!
6th Grade Support Team
Mr. Tyson Raleigh
6th Grade Assistant Principal
(office under construction)
Mrs. Kyle Schofield
6th Grade Counselor
(office under construction)
Mrs. Toni Sommer
6th Grade Secretary
(office under construction)
7th Grade Support Team
Mrs. Ellen Hodge
7th Grade Assistant Principal
Mr. Casey Benoit
7th Grade Counselor
Mrs. Gloria Worner
7th Grade Secretary
8th Grade Support Team
Mrs. Alexandra Lammers
8th Grade Assistant Principal
Mrs. Kassidy Villegas
8th Grade Counselor
Ms. Cindy McCloskey
8th Grade Secretary
Other Support Staff
Mrs. Elizabeth McCrory
7 & 8th grade Case Manager
Mrs. Claudia Gallagher
6th grade Case Manager
Mrs. Barbara Pack
Special Services Secretary
Mrs. Michelle Manning
Mrs. Lori Ball
Mrs. Lisa Bradley
Mrs. Amanda Hodge
Mrs. Debb Betts
Mrs. Denise Banks
Other Important Numbers
I'm new to Kleb...What exactly is Bearcub Den?
- Weekly character development lessons where we continue to deepen our understanding of what it means to be a CUB: A Continuous Learner and Understanding Citizen who is Building Responsibility in both self and others. Here is an example of our CUB Matrix:
- Standards-driven instructional intervention and support for students who need additional time to master essential standards (in 3 week cycles on Tuesday-Friday)
- Den Hall--a time to see other teachers and make up work, receive lesson extensions or independently work on homework, assignments, TPSP projects and more!
It is our goal for every Bearcub to grow both academically and socially to his or her fullest potential. Our Den program helps facilitate the time and structure needed to reach this goal. We look forward to working with your students in this capacity to ensure success and learning for all!
From the Student Handbook: Exiting a Pre-AP Course
A student may exit Pre-AP courses at the end of the first semester and must have teacher, parent, and administrator approval. Students and parents should have the benefit of knowing the semester grade before making an exit decision. Students should consider exiting a course at the end of the first semester if they do not maintain at least a "C" average for the semester. Please contact your child's counselor prior to the start of school if you wish to make any Pre-AP course adjustments.
2017-2018 KLEB INTERMEDIATE DRESS CODE HIGHLIGHTS
A NOTE FROM YOUR PTO PRESIDENT
A NOTE FROM YOUR PTO PRESIDENT
The Kleb PTO is an organization of parents and faculty whose purpose is to promote the welfare of the students of Kleb Intermediate School. This is done by providing funds, property and service to the school. If you are interested in serving on the Kleb PTO Board, please contact Terri Purcell / email@example.com or at 281-733-9289 with any questions you might have.
2017-2018 PTO BOARD
Terri Purcell: Terri.firstname.lastname@example.org
Nicolee McCowen: email@example.com
Lana Grimes: firstname.lastname@example.org
Rebecca Strong: email@example.com
Monica Garcia: firstname.lastname@example.org
Theresa Berend: email@example.com
Kelly Ray: firstname.lastname@example.org
3rd Fundraiser: Memory Book
Amy Cortez: email@example.com
Terri Purcell: Terri.firstname.lastname@example.org
BECOMING A KLEB PTO MEMBER: Membership is open to any person who is a parent, guardian, or adult relative of a Kleb student ($10 per family) or faculty or staff member of the school ($5 per staff) who will uphold the policies of the organization. Membership envelops are sent home with your student’s first day packet, or may be picked up from the front office.
VOLUNTEER ACTIVITIES AND UPCOMING EVENTS: We LOVE our volunteers! If you are interested in becoming a Kleb volunteer and learning what opportunities are available. Please email Theresa Berend / email@example.com Also, the Hospitality Team provides delicious food and treats of encouragement for the teachers throughout the year. Please contact Terri Purcell / firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to contribute food or your time.
SURVEY MONKEY: In order to work better together, your PTO would truly appreciate it if you could take a moment and complete a survey to help us to understand the needs and wants of our families. (link needed)
FUNDRASING GOAL: This year, our goal is to raise enough funds to purchase a Google Expedition kit for the school. Click to explore: https://edu.google.com/expeditions/#about
FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK TO GET UPDATES ON UPCOMING EVENTS:
17th – Public PTO Meeting
New Parent Orientation
21st – First day of school
14th – Public PTO Meeting
Open House Dinner
4th – Public PTO Meeting
5th – Beat Doerre Bash
A WORD FROM THE CLINIC
Please be aware that students are not allowed to carry any medications on campus, but parents may provide medication to be administered to their child through the clinic.
*All prescription medications must be brought to the clinic and picked up from the clinic by a parent or guardian.
*Over the counter medications may be kept in the clinic for two week periods. It can remain in clinic all year with a physician's note/ signature.
*All medications (prescription or over the counter) must be in its original container. Loose pills will not be accepted by the clinic.
*An authorization form must be signed by parent/ guardian before a medication will be administered.
*If your child carries an inhaler for asthma, the proper forms must be signed by a physician and on file.
Please provide the clinic with a copy of any vaccinations received throughout the school year so that our records will remain up to date.
*There are two vaccinations required for every student entering the 7th grade. These are the TDaP and Meningococcal vaccines.
*Incoming 7th graders that do not have their updated immunizations on file will not receive a schedule on the first day of school.
*A list of immunization clinics is available upon request.
*Immunization records may be faxed to 832-249-5509.
Lastly, if your child has been sent home with a fever, he/she must be fever free for 24 hours before returning to school.
Please feel free to contact the clinic with any questions or concerns at 832-249-5516.
Required Immunizations for Incoming 7th Graders
The following immunizations are needed:
1. Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis- Students will be required to have one booster dose of a tetanus/diptheria/pertussis containing vaccine for entry into the 7th grade if at least five (5) years have passed since the last dose of tatnus containing vaccine. If the five years have not elapsed, then this does will become due as soon as the five-year interval passes.
2. Meningococcal- Students are required to have one (1) dose of Meningoccal vaccine by 7th grade. If you have not already done so, please provide updated immunization records to the clinic.
Incoming 7th graders who do not have their updated immunizations on file will not receive a schedule the first day of school. Immunization records may be faxed to 832-249-5509. Thank you!
CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS- AN INVOLVED CUB IS A HAPPY CUB!
SPORTS CENTER- GO CUBS!
"Note"able News from Orchestra
Kleb Orchestra News
I hope everyone has had a wonderful summer break and are looking forward to an incredible 2017-2018 school year! Please take a moment to check out the charmsoffice.com calendar for all events this school year. Also, please take a moment to update your email address in charms. We plan to update all parents with information regarding the orchestra program through these emails. Remember our student login is kleborch and the password is their student ID(no “s” please, just the 6 numbers). If you are unable to login, please email me at email@example.com.
Summer Orchestra will be on August 7th, 8th and 9th. The structure will be a bit different this year and more like years past this next coming year. The only two groups that will meet for summer orchestra will be the Camerata and Chamber orchestras. Letters went home with these students back in May. Please email if you are unable to attend due to being out of town. Our schedule is based off of orchestra placement that can be found on charmsoffice.com:
Camerata 9:00-10:30am in RM 153
Chamber 10:30am-12:00pm in RM 153
All students are encouraged to purchase their class books at Kleb on Monday, August 7th. Fishburn Violin Shop will be at the school from 9:00am-1:00pm. The best time to come will be noon-1pm.
Fall Concert(Concert/Beginner/Sinfonietta/Philharmonic/Camerata):October 5th, 2017
Fall Cluster Concert(Sinfonia/Chamber): October 11th, 2017
Winter Concert: December12, 2017
Solo and Ensemble: 7th/8th grade February 24th, 2018
KleinFest: March 3rd, 2018
6th grade solo: March 8th, 2018
Ann Roberts Festival: March 24, 2018
String UIL: April 12th, 13th, 17th, and 18th, 2018 (Dates will possibly change via the State)
Full UIL: May 2nd, 2018
Spring Concert: May 23rd, 2018
All dates, including the rehearsal schedule for all students can be found on charmsoffice.com. Dates are subject to change and all students will be given a calendar at the beginning of the year. For the most up-to-date calendar, please check out charmsoffice.com
KLEB BAND ANNOUNCEMENTS
New to Kleb? The award-winning Kleb Band program is a great place to learn new things and make great friends. Email Mrs. Wren if you are interested in joining the Kleb Band.
Symphonic, Concert A, and Concert B Band students – don’t forget to join us at our Summer Band Camp. We will be brushing up on our skills and learning some new music!
Monday, August 7 - Tuesday, August 8
· 8:00 - 9:30 AM Symphonic Flutes and French Horns
· 9:30 - 11:00 AM Symphonic Clarinets and Trumpets
· 11:00 AM – 12:30 PM Symphonic Saxes, Double Reeds, and Low Brass
· 1:30 – 3:00 PM All Concert A & B Woodwinds and Brass
· 3:00 – 4:30 PM All Percussion
Wednesday, August 9
· 2:00 – 3:30 PM All Symphonic, Concert A, and Concert B Band Students – Full Band Rehearsal
· 4:00 – 6:00 PM Movie Social Event
The Band will have their first social at Main Event on Saturday, September 16! Look for more information to come home once school starts.
Join us for our Fall Concert on Wednesday, October 4 in the Kleb Cafeteria! Students from the Symphonic, Concert A, and Concert B Bands will perform an exciting program including our Kleb School Song!
Learn more about us at www.klebband.org!
Check us out on social media: Facebook – Kleb Band, Instagram - @klebband, Twitter - @klebbandKISD
Welcome back, Singing Bearcubs!
I am so excited to kick off the new 2017-2018 school year with our new and returning choir members. We will be hosting a number of social events in September to start off the new school year with a lot of fun! Please be sure to check out our new choir page www.klebchoir.org for information on all things choir!
If you have yet to do so, please update your charms information at www.charmsoffice.com. Instructions on how to access the site are on the choir webpage, under “Charms,” with step-by-step instructions.
Please take note of the important dates below:
Wednesday, Sept 6 – Choir Night Out at Jumping World 6-8pm (cost $15.00) and waiver must be signed
Tuesday, Sept 26 – Disney Fall Festival solo auditions after school
Tuesday, Oct 3 – Fall Concert at Kleb Intermediate (6:30pm start)
Questions? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Destination Imagination Tryouts!
Kleb Destination Imagination is looking for creative students who love to act, build and love to think of things in new ways! By auditioning for a Destination Imagination team, you are giving yourself the opportunity to gain loyal friends, work closely in a team environment and learn new creative skills! Teams consist of 7 students who solve a challenge through the course of the school year and present their solution at tournament in February. Successful teams have the opportunity to advance to State Tournament and even Global Finals in Knoxville, TN! Kleb has a great record with DI teams and teams have advanced to Global Finals multiple times in the past few years to join the world's largest celebration of creativity for a week in May!
Please have your child attend an information meeting on one of the following two dates if you are interested:
September 12th at 4:30pm-5:15pm in room 215.
September 14th at 8:15am-8:50am in room 215.
Tryouts will be held in late September after school so keep your calendars available!!
JUST A REMINDER...
Custody Information:Please assist us in the handling of custody related issues. It is the responsibility of the parents to provide the principal a certified copy of the court order affecting the other person's right to their children.
Parent Contact Information:
Also, please notify your child's principal, nurse and the Registrar's office during the school year if any changes are to made to the registration/enrollment card that you fill out the first week of school. It is important to update addresses, phone numbers and any other pertinent information that would affect the school notifying you in the event of an emergency. Be sure to update when any changes occurs. Please ensure you have updated email address and telephone number on file with registrar, as this allows the school to communicate with you in the event of an emergency.
Should you have any questions, please call Mr. Huggins at 832-249-5515.
NEWS FROM FOOD SERVICE
Visit the KISD Nutrition and Food Services FAQ Website for further information pertaining to student lunch accounts, to access the free/reduced online application, menus, and more!