SAFETY GUIDELINES FOR DISMISSAL
- Please stay in your cars (i.e. parents, friends, siblings & pets).
- Please refrain from waiting on the front median and the sidewalk with young children and pets.
- Please, NO PARKING in the Employee Lot and Bus Parking Lot. These lots will be closed from 3:30 pm - 4:30 pm every day to keep our students safe.
- Please, NO CROSSING TRAFFIC lanes with students. This presents a major safety hazard.
- Please help expedite carpool, by limiting the use of the Carpool Parking Lot to emergencies, handicap parking and appointments from 3:30 pm - 4:30 pm.
PARENTS, PLEASE STAY IN YOUR CARS
People and pets are asked to stay inside of their cars! People and pets waiting outside of vehicles results in the following:
- Slow down of the carpool lane
- Adds to the over all congestion (1,100+ students exit the building at once)
- Crowds the concrete medium in front of the school
- Obstructs the sidewalk in front of busses
- Blocks parking spaces in the Hembree Lot
Bringing pets or siblings outside of your car means taking additional time to put everyone back inside the car. Also, meeting your child outside the car contributes to foot traffic and creates a prolonged dismissal.
Please Note: The elementary schools do not allow parents to stand and wait outside their cars during carpool. We are asking for the same safety considerations to be maintained at the middle school level.
SAFETY FIRST: All of the extra people, pets, etc. distract our students from focusing on safely getting to their means of transport.
EMPLOYEE LOT CLOSED
The Employee Lot is adjacent to the gym and is located in between EPMS and HSES. The Employee Lot is closed from 3:30 pm - 4:30 pm for these reasons:
- Cars entering and exiting the Employee Lot present a safety threat to our 400+ students being dismissed from the Connections hall and the Gym. Student safety is our primary concern.
- Cars interfere with bus traffic by cutting off the bus lane.
- Cars clogging the Employee Lot prevent teachers from being able to exit quickly after-school.
When cars use the Employee Lot as unauthorized carpool, teachers are impeded from departing in a timely manner. Please be considerate to our teachers who also have children to pick-up and appointments to keep.
BUS PARKING LOT IS CLOSED from 3:30 pm – 4:30 pm
The bus parking lot will be closed to all cars, parents, and students from 3:30 pm - 4:30 pm. This lot is closed for safety. Also, we wish to expedite bus departure to get students home at an earlier time. If you need to get your child for an appointment, please check them out of school prior to 3:30 pm.
In the morning:
- Please use the Carpool Lane when dropping off your child between 7:45 am - 8:54 am.
- STUDENTS SHOULD NEVER CROSS THE BUS LANE DURING MORNING ARRIVAL OR DURING DISMISSAL
- Parents volunteering, attending Parent University Workshops, with a scheduled teacher conference or meeting may escort their child(ren) into the building with them across the bus lane if necessary. Please use extreme caution!
NOTE: IF YOU PARK IN THE BUS PARKING LOT, YOU WILL NOT BE PERMITTED TO LEAVE UNTIL ALL THE BUSES HAVE BEEN DISMISSED.
CARPOOL PARKING LOT LIMITED FROM 3:30 pm - 4:30 pm
STUDENTS SHOULD NEVER CROSS TRAFFIC DURING DISMISSAL: This precaution is for the safety of students!
- Students should not cross carpool lanes until after carpool is finished.
- Students should not cross bus lanes until after all the buses have been dismissed.
- If you need to cross the lanes for an emergency, we will provide an escort.
NO PETS ON CAMPUS PLEASE !!
Pet and their leashes impede the flow of our 1,100+ students exiting the building. Also, some students wish to pet dogs/cats because they think your pet is cute too. However, many students may be afraid of dogs/cats and are uncomfortable. Please keep your pet at home or in your climate-controlled car. Thank you!
NO WAITING IN FRONT OF SCHOOL
Pedestrians waiting outside of the front doors of the school impact foot traffic in this manner:
- Block the flow of students exiting because hundreds of students are funneled through the front doors in a very short time.
- Make it difficult for parents in the carpool to identify their child, and vice versa. Thus slowing down the carpool lane.
- Inadvertently, block students trying to locate their bus, prolonging bus departure.
Note: If you need to get your child for an appointment, please check them out of school prior to 3:30 pm.
ARBOR CREEK, HEMBREE GROVE & ADJACENT NEIGHBORHOODS
Parents who enjoy walking home with their students, please meet your walkers by the EPMS flagpole or by the sidewalk in front of the Hembree Springs Parking Lot/cafeteria. Please do not bring dogs or cats on the EPMS campus (see above). The Resource Officer will be in front of Arbor Creek to safely escort walkers across the street. You are welcome to wait with our Resource Officer.
Please stay in your car. Please keep pets and siblings in your car. Students will be instructed to walk across the entrance of the Employee Lot, and then to cross the Bus Lane on the Hembree side. PLEASE INSTRUCT YOUR CHILD TO NEVER CROSS ON THE EPMS SIDE - THIS IS FAR TOO DANGEROUS. Cars parked in the Hembree Lot should exit the lot in the direction of Hembree Springs. Cars will be prevented from exiting using the traffic light until after all buses have been dismissed. Please proceed with care and caution, and be mindful of students and cars when backing out.
CARPOOL PARKING LOT
During Dismissal, the Carpool Parking Lot is reserved for appointments in the school, handicap parking, and medical emergencies. All cars picking up students should use the carpool lane.
During dismissal, please reserve the carpool parking spaces for the following :
- Handicapped Visitors
- FCS Employees
- Parents with Scheduled Meetings/Conferences
Parents using the Carpool Parking Lot instead of the carpool lane to pick-up their student at dismissal will be asked to wait to cross the lane until carpool has run its course. Crossing the carpool lane prevents a safety hazard and interrupts the flow of carpool. In the event of an emergency, an EPMS staff member will escort both parent and child across the lane.
Guideline changes have been implemented for these reasons:
- For the Safety of ALL Students
- Speed Carpool
- Safe and Quick Bus Departure
- Our Parents have requested changes
Please help us to make dismissal safe and expeditious for everyone by adhering to the policies outlined above. Thank you!