This Week @ PS 88Q
September 18, 2022
Hispanic Heritage Month
Our Social Justice Committee as well as our school community is ready to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month. From culture, to impact, we will focus on the many accomplishments of the Hispanic community. Stay tuned !
Links to continue the learning at home;
A Message From Mrs. O'Shaughnessy
This week we hosted Meet the Teacher Night, followed by Meet the Admin Team (Ms. Lowe and myself). What a wonderful turnout with over 100 participants on Zoom. We spoke about safety at PS 88Q, because we all know that without safety, we can't do all the amazing things we do. This past Friday, we had our first evacuation drill. All 671 students and over 100 staff exited the building in under 4 minutes! Very impressive, but we always strive to fine tune this procedure. This coming week, we will drill our first soft lockdown. Our teachers are prepared to discuss this prior, so that students are aware. Any questions about safety, always reach out to Mrs. Lowe or myself.
What to expect this week:
- Students will begin taking our district diagnostic assessment. What is that? It is not a "test" but a diagnostic. These online assessments give the teachers student data that will help them plan for all students. Identifying where students are, and where they need to go helps close any gaps, and also helps students excel to the next level. The assessments are as follows: MAP Math and ELA for grades 3-5, MAP Math and Acadience Reading for grades K-2.
- All students have begun recess during lunchtime. Recess is vital! Our amazing staff create not only fun activities for our students, but a safe environment. Our scholars need to get out into fresh air, socialize and play. The entire grade participates together, so this keeps our students connected to friends who perhaps are in another class.
- We will begin celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month (September 15-October 15) this month in many ways!
Below is Mr. Canales latest video for our PS88Q FM-LY Station! This goes out to all our students this time about the transition back to school!
Remember, there is no school next week on Monday, September 26th and Tuesday September 27th for Rosh Hashanah.
DOE Issued Devices
If your child has not received a DOE device, and you would like to request one, please fill out the form below. Our two amazing SPOC's (Single Point of Contact) Mr. Dumont and Mr. Andrew support our students and staff with their technology needs.
The following link supports many questions you may have if you already have a DOE device. Any questions or concerns, always reach out to our staff, and we can support you.
Our Relaxation Room
Our amazing S.M.I.L.E. Committee has created a space for our PS 88Q community to practice meditation, stretch, practice yoga, and just simply reflect. This space, in the midst of a bustling building, reminds us that mental health matters. Our SMILE committee members are planning morning stretch for staff, as well as parent time! Stay tuned for upcoming family sessions for mediation, mindfulness, stretching and yoga. Check it out in the video below.
Opportunities for Our Families/Parent Engagement
How to Access Google Classroom
Please follow the instructions below to access Google Classroom using your nycstudents.net login.
Where to start
- Go to TeachHub(Open external link)
- Enter your DOE student account email (it ends in @nycstudents.net)
- If you don't know your DOE student account email, visit DOE Student Accounts
- Enter your password.
- Click Sign In.
- If the username and password entered are correct, you will be signed into the remote learning portal successfully.
- Click on the Google Classroom icon.
- Now you are in Google Classroom!
New York City Schools Account
The new NYC Schools Account (NYCSA) Portal will allow you to:
- See your students grades, test scores and more in My Student
- Take classes in Parent University
- Access forms for your child
- Reset your child's DOE account password
- Access SupportHub
All with one login!