PTO Principal Update
April 13th, 2015
"At Austin Elementary, we are driven to unlock the passion and cultivate the uniqueness inherent in every learner."
4th/5th Grade iPad Rollout
Here are a few things I have witnessed in the past few days-
- Learners thinking critically about which tool would best help them complete an assignment (iPad, Math Journal, or Macbook).
- Educators using the iPad as a device to assess and get immediate feedback.
- Kids using the iPad as a device to communicate with a teacher in another class.
- Learners using the iPad as a resource to quickly access tools and materials.
Learning Garden Update!
- A school community "Planting Day" was held last Spring to build and plant the current beds. The school purchased concrete benches in honor of recently retired Austin educators.
- Since then, several Enrichment Clusters have completed projects to enhance the area (student-built benches & student-made stepping stones).
- Grade levels continue to replant and update their areas of the beds (see pictures below). 4th grade used the beds for some real world problem solving as the setting for a recent PBL.
- Our "next steps" are the installment of the pergola, rain barrels, and compost bin. I met with Louis Macias (Director of Facilities) last week to get an update on the status of our city permit for the pergola. He needs an additional design/sketch that illustrate the dimensions of the garden and the pergola to submit to the city. Mrs. Cook is finishing the mock-up to submit to Louis.
- Our Girl Scout Troop is organizing a ladybug release for Earth Day later this month.
Here are a few of particular interest...
This bill relates to the roll of student performance in teacher evaluation and pay. The House Education Committee will debate it soon. Partners w/ SB 893 which has been approved by the Senate.
Would overhaul the current school finance system ("Robinhood"). Currently being debated in the House Education Committee.
Next Round of Testing
- Monday, April 20 - 5th Math
- Tuesday, April 21 - 3rd/4th Math
- Wednesday, April 22 - 3rd/4th Reading, 5th Science
You can help by making sure that your kids are well rested, here on time, and have enjoyed a healthy breakfast!