November 19th - November 23rd
Dr. Kick's Corner
- The cold weather is here! Please remember to send your child with a warm coat, hat and mittens every day! If there is snow, students need boots and snow pants in order to play in the snow. It is a good idea to have extra socks and mittens in your child's locker.
- Students go out to recess every day if the temperature (including wind chill) is five degrees or warmer.
- If the morning temperature is 10 degrees or cooler, students will line up inside of the building.
- Thank you to everyone who has been following the carpool line rules! The line runs very smoothly and quickly without cars turning left/right from Thornwood into the carpool line. Please be conscientious of your speed on Dartmouth.
- Have a Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy your time with family and friends.
- Harper PTO Movie Night presents: The Polar Express (G)
- All Harper Students (K-4) are invited to come discover that the wonder of life never fades for those who believe! Pajama's welcome and encouraged!
- Join us in the auditorium:
- Friday, November 30th
- Little Ceasar’s Cheese/Pepperoni Pizza, Lemonade and Water will be served in the cafeteria
- Sign up today as movie nights sell out quickly: HERE
- Cost: $20 for the first child, $10 for the second, and $5 for the third.
- Parents who volunteer at Movie Night can bring one child for FREE! Sign up to volunteer HERE.
- Space is limited to the first 115 kids. NO WALK-INS. All children must be registered in advance.
- All Children must be walked into Harper for check in and picked up by an adult for check out. NO DROP OFFS
iGNITE! Enrichment Information
Thank you to iGNITE! for the following Enrichment Experiences!
iGNITE! and AmazonSmile
- Thank you for everyone who has donated to the Harper iGNITE! fund this year. We are so close to reaching our goal and would appreciate your support if you haven't yet done so. Remember, every dollar goes back to the kids! Donate here!
- For those of you that have donated, the iGNITE! tax letter can be found on the Harper PTO website, under Parent Resources. Click here to find it.
- For your kind donation, we're offering a Harper Elementary Dolphins car magnet. These will be in a basket in the front foyer. Please, if you've donated to iGNITE!, you're welcome to take one to show your Harper pride!
- Want to help the Harper PTO from the comfort of your home? Go to smile.amazon.com and choose to support Harper Parent Teacher Organization as your donation organization. The PTO will receive 0.5% of eligible purchases. Happy Shopping!
Your K-4th Grade Students have participated in the iGNITE! sponsored Mindfulness Program this week! Please see the PDF below for details of what they learned and any take home work/challenges.
FAN (Family Action Network)
President and CEO, Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) and author, Greg Lukianoff to present 'The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas are Setting Up a Generation for Failure’ on Wed, Nov. 28, 7PM at New Trier High School, Northfield Campus, Cornog Auditorium 7 Happ Rd., Northfield, IL 60093. The event will be recorded.
- Co-author, television host and culture expert on the Emmy-winning Netflix reboot of Queer Eye Karamo Brown to talk about 'Know Thyself: Using Your Uniqueness to Create Success’ Wed, Dec. 5, 7PM Evanston Township High School Auditorium 1600 Dodge Ave., Evanston, IL 60201. The event will not be recorded.
- If you would like to sign up for the FAN newsletter, click here!
Community Service & News
Welcome to the Community Service Corner!
- November 26th- November 30th
- Holiday Toy Drive and Gift Wrapping Event (benefiting UIC Children’s Craniofacial Clinic)
- New toys (approximately $15) for kids from birth to 15 years old. We’ll also be having a wrapping party in the Harper Cafeteria on Monday, December 3rd at 9:00am – please join us! We ask volunteers to bring scissors and tape, and are looking for wrapping paper donations as well! Please see PDF attached below for more info!
- December 10th-21st
- Winter Gear Drive (benefitting Connections for the Homeless)
- New and gently used winter gear for Connections families (adult and children). Items needed: winter coats, gloves and hats, warm socks, boots, blankets and sleeping bags, disposable hand and foot warmers, and long underwear!
- Looking for more ways to give back this November? Midwest Center for Women’s Healthcare is hosting a donation drive to support women in our community suffering from domestic abuse. The drive runs through November 30th. For more information and to donate please visit: https://www.mcwhc.com/UserFiles/file/Donation%20Flyer%202018.pdf
- Thanks to everyone for the incredible donations of Halloween candy! Please see above picture of the Connections for the Homeless staff receiving our first delivery!
Loyola Ramblerettes offer 3rd-8th grade girls the opportunity to learn a Holiday dance and perform at halftime on December 11th.
Trevian Girls Softball Association host tryouts for students born 2008 & 2009 on December 2nd 2:00 - 3:00 pm
Loyola Ramblerettes host Holiday Dance Session December 11th for 3rd-8th grade girls
Wilmette Park District’s Saturday Basketball registration is open for boys & girls grades 4-8.
Wilmette Park District is hosting a Holiday Hustle exercise challenge November 26-December 23; register November 19-25. Also the Center Fitness Club schedule and various classes for children ages 3-14 are posted.
Wilmette Food Pantry is open every Tuesday 10:30-11:30 am at Trinity United Methodist Church.
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Liz Hayes via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org