Te Whare Akoranga o Maungawhau | 8 February, 2018
From The Principal
Tēnā koutou katoa,
I trust you enjoyed the extra time over Waitangi weekend, and I'm pleased to introduce a new look newsletter this week, designed to be easy to access, navigate and print from any device. This format also has the added advantage of a built-in translation option for parents and caregivers for whom English may not be their first or preferred language. This new format will be followed relatively soon by a re-designed school website, with updated content, which I also hope you find useful.
The key questions that I am focusing on in my role this term are:
- What makes MENPS an exceptional place to be for our learners?
- What are the core values on which the MENPS learning community is founded?
- Where are we now, and where are we heading in the future?
I believe these questions are key to determining the strategic priorities for the school and defining a shared vision for the future. It's a conversation that I will be engaging with at all levels of the school, including staff, parents, learners and Board members as I continue to build new connections. One forum that is particularly useful for this is the PTA, which I will be attending next week. By definition, all parents are members of the PTA, so please feel free to drop in if you are available and would like to learn more about their invaluable work in support of the school.
Another forum that I will be closely involved with will be a new MENPS 'Student Council', to be elected by the children themselves and facilitated by our Associate Principal, Hilary Edwards. Look out for further news on this in the near future, including how children (in Y5 & Y6) can put their names forward if they are interested in running for this unique leadership opportunity.
Ka kite anō au i a koutou
Notices & Reminders
- Please remember that there is no parking in the drop-off zones on Valley and Sherbourne Roads between the hours of 8.30 - 9.30am and 2.30- 3.30pm. We have also had issues with parking on the yellow lines. Please be reminded that the busy drop-off and pick-up times don't mean that there are exceptions to the rules!
- Thanks to those who have offered to help, but we still need a few more parent volunteers for our Road Patrol roster - please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help
- PTA Meeting - Tuesday, 13th February 7.30pm in the Staffroom
- Thank you for all those who have already paid the Family Donation for 2018. Details coming home today, please check your child's bag
- Please remember to update your details with the school office. (Email, phone, emergency contacts)
- To report an absence, please visit: http://www.mteden.school.nz/mt-eden-normal-primary-school/absentees
2018 TERM 1 PICNIC DATES
Please note the date of your year group picnic below in your diaries. The picnics are always a fun evening in the MENPS calendar!
YEAR 2: Thursday 8 February - TODAY!
YEAR 3: Monday 12 February
YEAR 4: Tuesday 13 February
YEAR 5: Wednesday 14 February
YEAR 6: Thursday 15 February
TIME: 5pm - 7pm
BRING: Rug, food, drink, any balls or games etc your kids are into
WHERE: On the field outside Rooms 21,22,23
A couple of other notes:
- Please take all your rubbish home with you.
- The teachers have been invited, but they may not be able to make it - it's a busy time of year!
- Your class coordinators will let you know by 4pm on the day of the picnic if we need to cancel due to weather. We have some save day dates in this event as above and will let you know accordingly.
PTA MEETING NEXT TUESDAY!
The next PTA meeting is next Tuesday 13 February, 7.30pm in the staffroom.
All welcome! Come along and meet our new Principal!
SECOND HAND UNIFORM SHOP
Friday 16 February, 8.30 – 9.00am
School Hall Kitchen window, Cash only
Uniform donations gratefully received.
TERM 1 UPCOMING SHOP DATES… Mark your diaries!
March 2 & 16
2018 FOOD & FUN FAIR
SUNDAY, 18th MARCH, 11am – 3pm
Designer Recycle Clothing Collection
Sarah and Karyn have started collecting good quality clothing for the MENPS pre fair Fashion at the Fair Recycle Boutique. You can also drop these items to Sarah Lamont 021 268 1327 any time between now and the Fair. A great opportunity for a wardrobe edit and to help your school at the same time!
Thank you to all our fabulous and stylish donors so far!
- PRESERVE MAKERS Any contributions greatly appreciated. Please ask parents, relatives and friends - we'd love some donated if anyone is making preserves for themselves.
- FRUIT & VEGES
- SMALL DE-LABELLED JARS (approx 1 cup volume) Contact: Kate Brooks 021753343
Please contact Kath Smith 027 2689032 or Kate Brooks 021 753343
MAKE 'BREAD' FOR THE SCHOOL
Don't forget to mention MENPS when you visit Baker's Delight Eden Quarter and the school earns 10% on all purchases!
FLIGHT CENTRE DEAL
Flight Centre Mt Eden will generously give MENPS $25 for every $1000 spent by MENPS families booking holidays with them. So please remember to mention us when booking!
BAG A MENPS JUTE BAG!
Only $8 each. Purchase these great bags at the office or second hand uniform shop. Cash or Cheque.
MAKE 'BREAD' FOR THE SCHOOL
FLIGHT CENTRE DEAL
MENPS Swimming Championships -Year 5 & 6
When: Friday 23rd February 9.30am – 12.30pm
Where: Diocesan Aquatic Centre.
Year 5 and 6 Students are invited to participate
- sign up in classrooms for events.
Parent help with timekeeping is required.
Please contact Karen Moore on email@example.com
if you can help on the day.
NANNY SERVICES AVAILABLE
After school nanny services available. My daughter goes to MENPS. Picking up from school, transporting to / from after school activities. Available weekdays from 3pm. Contact me direct to discuss your individual requirements. Full License and own car. price 420 NEG, depending on hours per week and number of children.
Please phone 021 1884482.