Miss Shorna's Snippets
January 11th - January 15th
Conferences THIS WEEK
Just a reminder that conferences are on Tuesday, January 12th and Thursday, January 14th. I will be sending home a reminder tonight, Monday, January 11th that states the date and time of your conference. Please think of any questions and/or concerns that you have before the conference begins as we only have 15 minutes to discuss. I am looking forward to meeting with each one of you and discussing the progress that your child has made this year.
Each month your child will bring home a calendar style Reading Log. If your child reads for 10 minutes every night and returns the Reading Log at the end of the month, your child with receive a pizza from Pizza Hut! Reading to your child is a wonderful habit to form. This is a great way for you to bond and share your love of reading with your child! Students can also read a book to themselves. They know the 3 ways to read a book (Read the Words, Read the Pictures, Retell the Story). Please let me know if you have any questions or if you misplace your Reading Log.
Gummy Bear Words
Last week your child brought home a letter and pink list of gummy bear words. Please have your child practice reading these words to you. Once your child has mastered the list, sign the bottom of the list and return it to school in their monkey folder. Then your child will be "tested" at school. If your child successfully completes the list they will receive a pack of gummy bears. Then they will get a new list of sight words to practice. This self paced program is a great way to motivate students and master tricky sight words! Thank you for your support!
Extra "GREEN" Recess
Every Friday afternoon, students that have been on "green" all week will receive an extra 10 minute recess. This is a small incentive for those students who are consistently following all classroom expectations.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP WITH ZIPPING JACKETS! I have noticed a HUGE improvement on students being able to zip their own jacket. It has made such a difference as we are getting ready to go out to recess or leave the classroom. If you would, please work with your child on tying their shoes. Whatever practice you can do at home will be most helpful! :-)
Focus for the Week
- Weekly Theme: Polar Thematic Unit
- Weekly Texts: Polar Habitat, If You Could Go to Antarctica, Go, Team, Go! (Penguin Scholastic News), Emperor Penguin, Tacky the Penguin
- Letter identification & sounds: Oo
- Reading Skill: Main Idea, Compare & Contrast, Character
- Question of the Week:
- High-Frequency Words: at, in (review they, of, you)
- Phonics: Initial and Medial Oo by itself and in CVC Words
- Writing: Penguin Themed Shared Writing, Sentence Writing Practice, Putting Sentences in Order
- Counting by 1's to 100
- Number 11
- Identifying, Creating, and Extending ABB Sound and Movement Patterns
- Counting Dines to 50 Cents
- Paying for Items to 50 Cents Using Dimes
- Matching a Number to a Set
- Sharing a Whole by Separating It Into Two Equal Parts
- Soling a Problem by Guessing and Checking
- Copying and Extending Patterns