Ten Topic Facts
- Hypothermia is a dangerous drop in body temperature.
- Accidental hypothermia usually occurs when not warm enough clothing is worn.
- Cold exposure is the cause of hypothermia.
- Diabetes can increase the risk of hypothermia.
- The elderly, infants, and children without proper clothing are at an increased risk for hypothermia.
- Confusion, drowsiness, mumbled speech and shivering are symptoms of hypothermia.
- Mild hypothermia is when your body heat is 89-95 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Moderate hypothermia is when your body temperature is 82-89 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Severe hypothermia is when your body temperature is lower than 82 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If medical treatment isn't available, remove any wet clothing.