By Ben and Ethan


It's caused by toxins produced by Clostridium Botulinum.

Foods ar risk:

Improperly processed home-canned low-acid foods and raw fish.


Double vision, inability to swallow, speech difficulty, progressive respiratory paralysis that can lead to death, symptoms may appear within 4 to 36 hours after eating.

Warnings to abide by:

Do not eat if...

  • If the can is leaky, bulgy, or swollen.
  • Container looks damaged, cracked, or abnormal.
  • The container spurts liquid or foam when opened.
  • If food is discolored, moldy, or smells bad.

Do not open or puncture any unopened cans, commercially or home canned if suspected of contamination.


  • Check Grandma's canning techniques and make sure they follow the up to date canning techniques.
  • Use a pressure canner or cooker.
  • Be sure the gauge of the pressure cooker or canner is accurate.
  • Use up to date process times for the kinds of food.
  • Do not use boiling water canners because they will not protect against botulism.


  • Botulism is very rare one in five US households can their own food and around 60% is canned vegetables.
  • Home canned vegetables are the most common cause of botulism outbreaks in the US.
  • From 1996 to 2008 there were 116 reported outbreaks of botulism.


G-W Online. Web. 31 Aug. 2015.