Virus to Cells
By, Anjali Philipose
- Immune system
Picture of Viruses and Cells
1) The Lytic Cycle
- Virus attaches and enters the host cell
- The host cell makes many copies of the virus's
- The viruses burst out of the cell,destroying it.
- New viruses seek out cells to infect.
- New phages are produced cell lysis
- Ex: Influenza
2) The Lysogenic Cycle
- Attaches and enters the cell
- Virus DNA incorporated into the host cell DNA
- Cell divides & each daughter cell viral DNA
- Virus becomes active and enters the Lytic cycle
- Red Material= Prophage,viral DNA replicate along cell
- Ex: HIV virus
The Characteristics of Life ( Living v. Non living )
Livings things have: Virus?
- Living things have cell: Viruses dont have cellular structure and attaches to cells.
- Living things obtain and use energy ( ATP ): Viruses have no metabolism
- Living things come from other organisms or species: Viruses are isolated from living things because they are non living.
- Living things live in an organized manner: Viruses
- Living things can reproduce ( sexually/asexually): Viruses reproduce,but not on their own.
- Living things grow and have movement: Viruses are very small and spread/ due to replication, increase the population through movement of other cells.
- Living things as a group evolve: Viruses evolve. ( ex: mutations )