Region 17 INclusion Support
Let's work together!
Let's Transform Inclusive Education- Change Your Game!!
Digging Deeper: Creating a Learning Ecosystem That Works for All
Matt Bergman will lead us in creating a learning ecosystem that
plans for accessible lessons, materials, and learning environments. Participants will dig
deeper into the UDL framework and explore the Guidelines that support each of the 3
Principles of UDL. Participants will learn strategies for creating universally designed
lesson plans, materials, and learning environments.
Strategies for Inclusion
- Emphasize social interaction (often the priority for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder) and assign “peer helpers” to act as guides and/or supports
- Allow for extra time to complete tasks
- Use positive reinforcement
- Incorporate written and oral language strategies (lists of what is being done, or pictures for those who cannot read or have trouble with oral directions)
- Use explicit and repeated instructions
- Provide peer support – assign a peer helper to provide support during the activity
- Place the child in a location where he/she can listen/hear and maximize understanding
- Provide clear, defined examples of behavior that is expected
- Always be patient and use wait time
- Allow for flexibility in your plans
- Break up tasks into smaller steps
- Use modeling
- Understand that some tasks like waiting in line may be difficult for some children
- Use consistent routines in your plan
- Play games over
- Provide ongoing prompts or visual cues
- Use mixed ability groupings
- Celebrate the process
Strategies for inclusion. Strategies for Inclusion |. (n.d.). https://teachingtools.ophea.net/activities/early-learning-resource/strategies-inclusion.
New FREE Resources!
Foundational Reading Lesson Set
- the top 500 sight words,
- approximately 4,000 decodable words,
- more than 200 image cards for phonological awareness,
- more than 80 sound-spellings ordered by frequency, and
- more than 40 sound-spelling cards for the most common phonograms.
Designed for Texas Teachers and Aligned with the TEKS
These modules feature:
- Step-by-step routines for explicit teaching of the mathematics content.
- Vocabulary Cards with visuals that can be easily displayed in the classroom.
Problem Sets with greater than 50 ready-to-use problems for each module. CLICK HERE for additional information and links to modules.
Find the Right Accommodation for Your Student - Easy as 1-2-3!!
Visuals and Back to School Transitions
Are we there yet??
Workshops and Conferences
Sign Up and Join Us!
The Inclusion in Texas Network works in collaboration with TEA to build a statewide culture of high expectations for students with disabilities and significantly improve academic and functional outcomes for students served by special education.
Spread the Word!
- easy to navigate learning catalog
- wide variety of sessions
- Free registration
- 60+ self-paced sessions
- Certificate of completion awarded immediately
- CEU certificates awarded upon completion of course assessments
- ASHA Credits awarded for select sessions
For all education and support staff serving students in the Texas – free AT Online Professional Development from ATIA.