Region 17 INclusion Support
Let's work together!
Let's Transform Inclusive Education- Change Your Game!!
Finding Your Calm
Read more - Short Breaks Help Students—and Teachers—Find Their Calm: Simple, quick exercises improve mindfulness, self-regulation, and well-being, for both students and teachers.
By Connie Morris October 11, 2021
Strategies for Inclusion
- Emphasize social interaction (often the priority for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder) and assign “peer helpers” to act as guides and/or supports
- Allow for extra time to complete tasks
- Use positive reinforcement
- Incorporate written and oral language strategies (lists of what is being done, or pictures for those who cannot read or have trouble with oral directions)
- Use explicit and repeated instructions
- Provide peer support – assign a peer helper to provide support during the activity
- Place the child in a location where he/she can listen/hear and maximize understanding
- Provide clear, defined examples of behavior that is expected
- Always be patient and use wait time
- Allow for flexibility in your plans
- Break up tasks into smaller steps
- Use modeling
- Understand that some tasks like waiting in line may be difficult for some children
- Use consistent routines in your plan
- Play games over
- Provide ongoing prompts or visual cues
- Use mixed ability groupings
- Celebrate the process
Strategies for inclusion. Strategies for Inclusion |. (n.d.). https://teachingtools.ophea.net/activities/early-learning-resource/strategies-inclusion.
New FREE Resources!
Foundational Reading Lesson Set
- the top 500 sight words,
- approximately 4,000 decodable words,
- more than 200 image cards for phonological awareness,
- more than 80 sound-spellings ordered by frequency, and
- more than 40 sound-spelling cards for the most common phonograms.
Designed for Texas Teachers and Aligned with the TEKS
These modules feature:
- Step-by-step routines for explicit teaching of the mathematics content.
- Vocabulary Cards with visuals that can be easily displayed in the classroom.
Problem Sets with greater than 50 ready-to-use problems for each module. CLICK HERE for additional information and links to modules.
Find the Right Accommodation for Your Student - Easy as 1-2-3!!
Are we there yet??
The Inclusion in Texas Network works in collaboration with TEA to build a statewide culture of high expectations for students with disabilities and significantly improve academic and functional outcomes for students served by special education.
Workshops and Conferences
Sign Up and Join Us!
Spread the Word!
- easy to navigate learning catalog
- wide variety of sessions
- Free registration
- 60+ self-paced sessions
- Certificate of completion awarded immediately
- CEU certificates awarded upon completion of course assessments
- ASHA Credits awarded for select sessions
For all education and support staff serving students in the Texas – free AT Online Professional Development from ATIA.