St. Paul Bulletin
St. Paul School - Kevin Brever, Principal - May 17, 2013
Table of Contents
- CATHOLIC IDENTITY Mass Schedule
- Important Dates
- Teacher Appreciation Week - THANKS!!!
- 6th Grade Softball Team
- Special Tuition Offer for New Families in 2013-14 school year
- Technology - Middle School Laptop Summer Return
- Enrichment & Remedial Summer School Programs for Grade Level: K- 8
- News from the Classroom
- Five Things You Need to Know About Summer Movies..., and More
- Cafeteria Volunteers Needed
- City Golf Tournament
2. Important Dates
20 - Monday - All School Mass (Grade K) - 8:15 AM
- - Kindergarten Graduation (at Mass)
- - Kindergarten Breakfast (after Mass)
- - 6th & 7th Grade Laptop Return
21 - Tuesday Market Day Pick Up - 6:00 PM
- - ------- This is the last market day sale for this school year. So you may need to stock up for the summer! Thanks to all that have ordered this past year!
- - 8th Grade Graduation - 7:00 PM
23 - Thursday Last Day of School - Dismissal - 11:00 AM
- - Final Conferences and Report Cards - 1:00 PM
- - 6th grade softball team begins tournaments at St. Rita - 7:15 PM
27 - Monday Memorial Day
3 - Monday - 2013 CSAA Golf Tournament for girls and boys - 7th and 8th Grade Division.
4 - Tuesday - 2013 CSAA Golf Tournament for girls and boys - 4th, 5th, and 6th Grade Divisions.
June 1 - July 31 - Remedial & Enrichment Summer School Programs for Grade Level: K- 8
3. Teacher Appreciation Week
Carrie Ashby, Robin Barnett, Mary Anne Beck, Tom Bizzell, Cheri Bohannon, Leslie French, Stephanie Gayheart, Sharon Gentry, Lori Hammond-Kelly, Jennifer Hardesty, Tina Harper, Kendra Jones, Ronda Kaberle, Becky Keith, Tom Kelly, Becky McClinton, Nellie Moreschi, Linda Nalley, Terry Roberts, Nana Starks, Brittany Thompson, Jessica Votaw
Jimmy John's A Cut Above, Heitzman's Goo Goo, Frank Otte, Sports Committee, Kroger, Starbucks, Men's Club The Louisville School of Massage
Very special thanks to Terra Hunt, Kendra Jones, Christy Schnieders and Stephanie Gayheart for their time and donations. They really make last week a fantastic success!
5. Special Tuition Offer for New Families in 2013-14 School Year
St. Paul Parish School is offering a $1000 tuition discount to all new families enrolling their children in grades Kindergarten to 8th grade.
Also, offering, a $500 referral tuition discount to any current family who refers a new
family that enrolls their children in St. Paul School in grades Kindergarten to 8th grade for school year 2013-2014.
6. Technology - Middle School Laptop Summer Return
6th & 7th Grades: The machines must be turned in by Monday, May 20th. They will be cleaned up, operating systems and all software updates completed. Be sure to put your names on your laptops and all accessories so that they can be returned to the proper owner. Students will pick them up shortly after school begins next year.
7. Enrichment & Remedial Summer School Programs
Saint Paul is offering excellent educational support and enrichment for children in
grades K-8. This program will be individually designed to fit your child’s academic needs. It is especially helpful for students needing reinforcement in the following areas: phonemic awareness, oral reading fluency, reading comprehension, and math fluency.
Description: In designing your child’s individualized academic program, a team of teachers will gather information from classroom performance, Terra Nova results, Stars Reading Diagnostic Reports, and ongoing progress of SuccessMaker. Measurable and obtainable goals will be written for each child based on academic need.
SuccessMaker is an innovative, balanced educational computer program that incorporates common core standards and ongoing assessment into a powerful results-driven learning system. This system offers intensive, interactive learning activities in language arts and mathematics. It provides teachers with immediate, ongoing feedback regarding student progress; and guides teacher instruction based on the unique academic needs of the child.
Dates: June 1st July 31st Time: flexible Cost: $25 per hour/two sessions per week.
Open to: __x___ school community _____other students __x___ depends on enrollment (priority given to school community)
If interested in Summer Enrichment for your child, please contact: Sunni SosnaKelty
Phone: (502) 639-6748 or (502) 935-5511.
8. News from the Classroom
The Raider Report
Kindergarten - Video
Kindergarten performed a play called, " Mox's Shop". The kindergarteners directed themselves with cue cards. They read the play together as a group; and acted out the story.
Everyone, just like in the workforce, had a very important job in the play: directing the start of the play, cueing readers, reading the lines, acting out the story line, signaling the end of the play, and finally, throwing flowers to the actors.
Sixth grade students collaborated with kindergarten in filming of the play. The video will be available on our school website very soon.
A special thanks goes out to Alyssa Keene and Madison Wilson for making production possible!
9. Five Things You Need to Know About Summer Movies, Jason Collins, iBeetle, New Books, and More
Iron Man 3 marks the start of summer blockbuster season, and we're looking ahead at all the family-targeted movies set for release over the next few months. We also navigated kids' inquiries about the personal life of a professional athlete, marveled over the marriage of Apple and cars (yes, cars!), and took part in national Screen-Free week ... or not.
- Beat the heat this summer by getting comfy in a movie theater. Here are 25 must-see movies for kids and teens.
- Washington Wizards star Jason Collins came out this week; we offer advice on how to talk to kids when the news preempts a conversation on a sensitive topic.
- Katie Couric interviewed our founder, James Steyer, about the dangers of video game addiction and the effect it has on families today.
- iPhone addict? This one's for you. Apple integrated with Volkswagen and unveiled the iBeetle.
- Our book editor identified some of the best May books for kids and teens, nice timing for families who went Screen-Free this week -- and for those with e-readers, too.
11. City Golf Tournament
Attention students in 3rd through 8th grade. If you are interested in golfing in the City Tournament please sign up at the following link: http://www.stpaulparishlouisvilleky.org/sports_signups.php.
Here is some further information:
The 2013 CSAA Golf Tournament for girls and boys will take place on June 3rd and June 4th.The Boys 8th grade division will be an 18 hole tournament and 9 hole tournament for all others. A 4th grade division is being added this year.
DATES: Monday, June 3rd - 7th and 8th Grade Division.
Tuesday, June 4th - 4th, 5th, and 6th Grade Divisions.
TIME: Tee times start 8:00 AM
We will be teeing off on hole #1 and #10 at 8:00 AM.
Everyone must arrive and register 30 minutes prior to your tee time. Late registration may mean disqualification.
PLACE: Seneca Golf Course
WHAT TO DO UPON ARRIVAL:
FEES: Current Greens Fees at Seneca Golf Course are $9.00. This fee must be paid on the day of tournament in the pro shop (Annul passes are valid).
2013 CSAA Tournament entry fee is $11.00 per participant. The CSAA fee is separate and must be paid to the CSAA, or we can bill the parish.
TEAMS: The top three finishing individual scores will determine the winning parish. If you don't have three golfers for a team, they may compete as individuals only.
REMINDER: Parishes may not merge together to form a team. They can practice together but must play for their own parish. The CSAA does not allow consolidation of parishes for individual sports.
AWARDS: 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place team trophies will be awarded to each grade level (5th, 6th, 7th and 8th).
1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th place individual awards will be given out in the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th grade
TIE BREAKER: Score cards will be used to break ties for teams and individuals. Awards will only be given to the top 3 teams and the top 4 individuals after the tie breaker. The tie breaker will be determined from the score card using a hole from the front side and/ or the back side. This hole will be selected by the course professional or his designee prior to the tournament.
- Each foursome that goes on the course will be responsible for another person’s scores in the group.
- No personal coolers allowed on the course.
- No range finders or GPS yardage/distance/slope measuring devices allowed.
- No beginners. This CSAA event is tournament format and not a clinic.
Mr. Kevin Greenwell is the Head Professional at Seneca golf course. He will be the rules judge in this tournament and his decisions are final. Please be respectful of all course rules and regulations at all times. Improper behavior or unethical conduct will not be tolerated at any time. The CSAA appreciates the opportunity to utilize this facility and requires all participants to be respectful to all involved at all times.
Please fill out and return by May 1st, 2013. Please list each participant’s approximate score and indicate if the score is a 9 hole or 18 hole score.
CSAA Executive Director
CSAA Golf Director