WDMS JANUARY NEWS
JANUARY 2021- Happy New Year!
Return to Hybrid Instruction Planned for January 19, 2021!
We are excited to welcome our students back to the classroom beginning Tuesday, January 19th!
Parent/guardians received an email from Mrs. Trampe the morning of Monday, January 4th (which is detailed below). Parents/guardians should complete the survey indicating their child's Quarter 3 cohort assignment by 11:59 pm on Wednesday, January 6th in order to guarantee any transportation changes beginning February 1st.
We understand you may have some questions, so please review the below Q & A:
Q. Is the district really planning to open on Tuesday, January 19th?
A. Yes, we are planning on returning to our hybrid instructional model that we had at the beginning of Quarter 2 (beginning of November).
Q. When schools reopen on January 19th, it's still Quarter 2. I already filled out a survey for that before. Why did you send me another survey on January 4th?
A. When school reopens on Tuesday, January 19th, students will continue with the cohort they had before Thanksgiving. The new survey is to let us know your intentions for Quarter 3 (which begins on Friday, January 29th). We need to know if there are any changes so we can adjust the bussing (if necessary).
Q. My child was in-person (either cohort A, B, or C) for Quarter 2, but I now want them to be full virtual (cohort D) for the remainder of Quarter 2 and not return to in-person instruction. Can I do that?
Because WDMS is able to live stream our instruction, yes, you may have your child move to full virtual (Cohort D) for the remainder of Quarter 2. HOWEVER, you MUST email Mrs. Trampe at email@example.com to notify her of the request.
Q. I keep getting notifications of Covid-19 cases from the schools. Why is the school sending these when we are full virtual?
A. Schools are required to notify parents when there are positive cases, even if the school is in full virtual model.
Q. Are the Covid-19 positive cases being logged and tracked to ensure that individuals that test positive do not return to school earlier than they should?
A. Yes. Whenever we learn of an individual (staff member or student) who tested positive for Covid-19, our school's contact tracer documents the required information and determines if there are any close contacts at school. If there are close contacts identified, the school notifies those individuals of possible exposure and recommends that they should quarantine.
Below is additional information regarding our transition back to hybrid instruction.
- From January 4th - January 15th: all students will continue with full virtual instruction
- Monday, January 18th: Schools are closed for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- From January 19th - January 28th (the remainder of Quarter 2): hybrid instruction (in-person and virtual) will return and students will return to the Quarter 2 cohort you had selected for them earlier in the year (Unless you contact Mrs. Trampe to indicate otherwise).
- For example: If your child was Cohort A, B, or C and attended in-person hybrid instruction from November 9 - November 25 (when the buildings were open for in-person instruction) they will continue this schedule for the remainder of Quarter 2 (January 19 - January 28)
- For example: If your child was Cohort D and attended full virtual instruction from November 9 - November 25, they will continue with this schedule for the remainder of Quarter 2 (January 19 - January 28)
- Friday, January 29th begins Quarter 3 and is a Virtual Friday for all students (no in-person instruction)
- Monday, February 1st will begin the Quarter 3 hybrid instruction. Your child has been assigned to the same cohort for Q3 as they were assigned to for the beginning of Q2. On January 4th, a parent survey was emailed to all families regarding this cohort assignment. If you were unable to complete the survey or have questions regarding your child's cohort, please contact the WDMS Main Office.
Please see below for a review of the Cohort options:
Students who have a last name beginning with the letters A-K, will attend in-person instruction on Mondays and Wednesdays. Students will learn virtually on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. On these Virtual Days, this cohort will be expected to log into their first period class by 7:55 am.
Students who have a last name beginning with the letters L-Z, will attend in-person instruction on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Students will learn virtually on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. On these virtual days, this cohort will be expected to log into their first period class by 7:55 am.
These students will attend in-person instruction Monday through Thursday and will participate in virtual learning on Fridays.
Students who will participate in virtual learning daily, Monday through Friday, and will not be attending any in-person instruction. For WDMS, fully virtual students will still be asked to complete the attendance form by 8:30 am every morning and log-into their first period class by 7:55am.
In the event, you have children with different last names, and they have not already been assigned to the same Cohort, please contact Jodi Thayres at firstname.lastname@example.org to correctly assign your children to matching Cohorts.
Hybrid Bell Schedule Returns Tuesday, January 19th
Student Council Holiday Card Drive Was A Huge Success!
- Attendance must be taken on a daily basis. Students will receive an email (sent to their student email) each morning requiring them to respond by 8:30 am to indicate their virtual instruction attendance for the day. Failure to respond to the email will result in the student being marked absent for the day.
- Students are required to log in to their classes via video conference each period, following the bell schedule.
- If a student will be absent for the day, or from one or more periods of virtual instruction, parents are still required to call the middle school to “call the student out” of school. To report a student absent, please dial 856-848-1200, and press 2.
- Please email any attendance questions to email@example.com
VIRTUAL LEARNING REMINDERS
- Q2 Virtual Schedule-Virtual instruction will consist of a combination of synchronous instruction via video conference (Zoom, Google Meets, GoGuardian) as well as asynchronous instruction using Google Classroom as our main platform. Students are required to login to the appropriate Google Classroom by following the virtual bell schedule found HERE.
- Cameras: During live instruction/lessons, students' cameras MUST be on and students' faces MUST be visible so that teachers can measure engagement and gauge student understanding (exceptions will only be made on a case by case basis depending on individual circumstances). Students may lose participation points for that day if their cameras are not on.
- Retesting: Any student may retake up to 1 formal assessment (test or quiz) per marking period, per class:
- The student must notify the teacher of their request for the retake within 2 school days of receiving the graded assignment.
- Teachers will inform students of retake conference opportunities with the teacher prior to the retake (these could be done in a group during non-instructional periods, i.e.: during scheduled lunch, study hall, after 8th period, etc.).
- The teacher will schedule the retake date.
- Contact Tracing- In the event your child should become symptomatic or found positive for COVID while attending virtual instruction, please contact Mr. Jeff Podolski at firstname.lastname@example.org for contact tracing.
- WDMS Helpline-If you should have any questions and are not sure who to reach out to, you may text the WDMS Student & Parent Helpline at 856-539-4632.
- WDMS Main Office Hours- The main office will be open on Monday -Thursday 8 am -12 pm until January 15th. Please call 856-848-1200, should you have any questions.
Winter Athletic Seasons Experience Delayed Start
Based on the recommendations of the NJSIAA, the official start dates for WDMS winter sports are:
- Physical due to Health Office Jan. 7, 2021
- Practice begins Jan. 11, 2021
- Competition begins Jan. 26, 2021
- Competition ends March 6, 2021
- Physicals due to Health Office Feb. 23, 2021
- Practice begins March 1, 2021
- Competition begins March 16, 2021
- Competition ends April 24, 2021
*COMPLETED ATHLETIC PHYSICALS CAN BE PLACED IN THE LOCKBOX ATTACHED TO THE FRONT OF OUR BUILDING
How can I support my child's Virtual Learning engagement?
NEED TECH SUPPORT?
How can I encourage my child to share safely online?
What better way to salute our WDMS Teachers than to submit a Staff Shout-Out! We hope to recognize staff weekly!