January 2020 HAPPY NEW YEAR!
New Student Enrollment for the 2020-21 School Year
The online application may be accessed here: http://www3.aasd.k12.wi.us/CharterApp/. Alternatively, paper applications are available outside the school office.
Please see the school website http://www.classicalcharter.com/prospective-families/application-procedure/ if you have questions about the lottery process, or contact Joanne Bielmeier at mailto:email@example.com.
*Classical School information nights for prospective families wishing to learn more about our program will be held:
Wednesday, January 9. 2020 6:30 -- 8:00 pm
Wednesday, February 12, 2020 6:30 -- 8:00 pm
Please join us!*
How Cold is Too Cold to Go Outside?
Students will be allowed inside before school when the ambient temperature reaches 5 degrees and below.
Please be sure to send appropriate outerwear with your child(ren) every day: boots, heavy winter coats, hat, and mittens or gloves.
From the School Nurse: Screen Time and Your Child
“Screen Time” refers to activities that are done in front of a digital screen, such as watching television, playing a video game, or using an iPad or smart phone. Most American children spend between 5-7 hours a day on screens, with three of those being watching television. Experts recommend that screen time be limited to 1-2 hours per day.
Too much screen time has been linked to many negative health outcomes including:
● Difficulty sleeping
● Poor attention span, anxiety, and depression
● Behavioral problems and aggression
● Obesity and cardiovascular problems
The widespread prevalence of screens and our increasingly digital culture makes it difficult for parents to control the amount of screen time their children have. Here are a few tips for reducing screen time:
● Limit your own screen time. Children learn by observation. Model this behavior yourself!
● Prioritize homework, chores, (non-digital) socialization and free play.
● Set limited viewing times.
● Remove TVs and other devices from bedrooms.
● Turn off screens during dinner, bedtime, and homework.
● Don’t leave the TV on in the background.
● Give consequences for violating rules. Teaching Appropriate Behavior and Online Literacy Eliminating all digital media may not be possible, but you can talk with your child about appropriate online behavior. Explain what's allowed and what's not, such as cyberbullying, sending/receiving inappropriate photos, and sharing personal information online. Teach your child not to send or share anything online that he or she would not want everyone to see. Be sure that you are monitoring everything your child is doing online. Teach your child that not everything they see on the internet is accurate. Show them how to tell which websites are credible and while are not.
Managing screen time will be a constant challenge, but setting limits while children are young can help them learn a healthy balance as they grow.
PARENTS' NIGHT OUT
What: Evening of Dodgeball, Pizza, Nerf Wars & Fun!
When: Saturday, January 11, 2020 6:30 PM--9:00 PM
Where: The Academy Martial Arts Leadership
220 W. Northland Avenue, Appleton
Cost: $15.00/student (Cash or Credit Card)
100% of ALL Proceeds goes back to Classical School
Pre-Registration is Required and there is Limited Space!
Register today at 920-830-2233 or email mailto:Info@TheAcademyAppleton.com or in person at The Academy.
Grades 4-6 Strings & Grade 5/6 Band Concert
- Students should arrive early for tuning and warming up: 5:30 pm for strings and 5:40 pm for band. Notify the teacher two weeks in advance if your student will not be in attendance.
- Students should dress nicely to show pride in presenting their music to the community! School and concert dress codes (black bottoms, white tops) will be enforced.
- Gentlemen: black dress pants, white button-down/polo shirt, dress shoes (if possible), any color tie (required for middle school, optional for elementary).
- Ladies: knee-length or longer (especially cello players) black skirt, dress, or dress pants, nice white shirt/blouse without words, dress shoes (if possible).
GRADES 4-6 SPELLING BEE
January 17th: Preliminary Round @ .... Parents are welcome!
January 22nd: Office School Spelling Bee @ ... Parents are welcome!
February 11th: Regional Bee @ Lawrence University
March 7th: State Bee in Madison, WI
Good luck and happy studying!
Classical School's Decades Dance
Thank you, Dia Thao and Annie Knudson, for coordinating this event for Classical School families again this year!
Einstein/Classical Wrestling (7th & 8th Graders)
All potential players MUST have an updated physical or alternate year physical form on file in the Classical School office prior to the first practice. You can pick up those forms in the Classical School office.
You will not be able to practice unless you have the proper forms turned in before practice starts.
First practice: Monday, January 13th 3:30-5:20 pm
You can be in Ski Club and still join the wrestling team
Equipment required: wrestling shoes
Practice workout gear: shorts and t-shirt
$40.00 participation fee due by Friday, January 24th. Checks made payable to Classical School and brought to the Classical School office.
You can find more information about the Einstein/Classical athletics program on the district website or by calling the Einstein office. Coaches update the sport web page closer to the start of the season. Or contact Coach Giaimo at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
4K Enrollment Information
Community 4K Site visit Week: Monday, January 13th -- Friday, January 17th
Online enrollment begins Monday, February 3, 2020. Watch the AASD and 4K website for more details as they become available: http://4k.aasd.k12.wi.us/our_school/registration.
Is Your Child Well Enough to go to School?
Fever: A fever of 100 degrees or more signals an illness that is probably going to make a student uncomfortable and unable to function well in class. Your child should stay home until his or her temperature is less than 100 degrees (without the use of fever-reducing medication) for a day and he/she is feeling better.
Vomiting, diarrhea or severe nausea: These are symptoms that require a student to remain at home until a normal diet is tolerated the night before and the morning of school.
Infectious Diseases: Diseases such as impetigo, pink eye with thick drainage, and strep throat require a health care provider's visit and prescription for medication. Contacting the health care provider and using the medicine as directed for the full recommended length of time are necessary. A student may return to school 24 hours after the first dose of an antibiotic and if he/she is feeling well.
Rashes: Rashes or patches of broken, itchy skin need to be examined by a health care provider if they appear to be spreading or not improving.
Injuries: If a student has an injury that causes continuous discomfort, the student should not attend school until the condition is checked by a health care provider or it improves. Injuries that interfere with class participation need a medical evaluation. If participation in physical education classes is not recommended, a health care provider's excuse is required.
Spring Parent-Teacher Conferences
- Spring Parent-Teacher conferences for K-8 will be held Tuesday, March 3rd, 3:30 -- 7:00 pm and Thursday, March 5th, 3:30 -- 6:45 PM.
- You will receive an email from Signup.com around January 29th to schedule your child's conference with his/her homeroom teacher.
- Due to time constraints on conference nights, you may sign up with your child's homeroom teacher only. If you would like to speak with your child's reading or math teacher, please email or call that teacher directly.
- Please remember to factor in passing time if you are scheduling with multiple teachers.
- You may choose to schedule a conference with your child's Spanish, music, art, physical education on Signup.com as well.
Middle School Conferences: 7th & 8th Grade
- MS conferences will be by teacher or parent request only on March 3rd and 5th.
- If a teacher would like to request a conference with you, a note will be sent home with your child containing the link to the Signup website.
- You may also request a conference with a particular teacher. The Signup link for parent requests will go out around January 29th.
- If you do not have a concern, please do not feel obligated to request a conference for your child.
- If you have a question regarding conferences, please email teachers directly.
Mrs. Cote: mailto:email@example.com English & Logic
Sra. Cihlar: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org Spanish
Mrs. Eastman: mailto:email@example.com Art
Mrs. Shinners: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org History & Pre-Algebra
Mrs. Huck: mailto:email@example.com Algebra
Ms. Kottman: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org Choir
Mrs. Juhl: mailto:email@example.com Band
Ms. Geniesse: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org Strings
Mr. Fager: mailto:email@example.com Science & Geometry
Mr. Gilbert: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org Phy Ed
All School Fair
Appleton Community 4K and AASD Birth-Five Outreach will also be in attendance.
Food Service Note: Negative Balances
Free and reduced meal price applications may be submitted at any time during the school year. Completion of this application is required annually. Until approval is granted, the family is responsible for all charges incurred up to ten days after the application is received. You can submit an application online through Infinite Campus or pick up an application at Classical office.
If you have any questions on your account or need to set up a payment plan, please contact Chartwells Food Service at 920-832-1791 or email mailto:email@example.com.
Thursday, January 2, 2020 After School Study Hall Grades 6-8 Room 126 3:00 PM--3:45 PM
Thursday, January 2, 2020 CCSA Board Meeting in Room L08 6:30 PM--8:30 PM
Friday, January 3, 2020 District-wide Middle Level Honors Band rehearsal at Madison M.S.12:30 PM--5:30 PM
Friday, January 3, 2020 Middle School Ski Club at Nordic 3:00 PM--11:00 PM
Saturday, January 4, 2020 District-wide Middle Level Honors Band rehearsal at Madison M.S.9:00 AM--12:00 PM
Saturday, January 4, 2020 District-wide Middle Level Honors Band performance at Appleton West H.S.3:30 PM
Saturday, January 4, 2020 Elementary bands to play at district-wide middle level honors band performance at Appleton West H.S.3:30 PM
Tuesday, January 7, 2020 After School Study Hall Grades 4-5 Room L02 3:00 PM--3:45 PM
Tuesday, January 7, 2020 Battle of the Books Room L12 3:00 PM--3:45 PM
Tuesday, January 7, 2020 After School Study Hall Grades 6-8 Room 122 3:00 PM--3:45 PM
Wednesday, January 8, 2020 After School Study Hall Grades 4-5 Room L21 3:00 PM--3:45 PM
Wednesday, January 8, 2020 After School Study Hall Grades 6-8 Room 122 3:00 PM--3:45 PM
Wednesday, January 8, 2020 Informational Session for Prospective Families Room 122 6:30-- 8:30 PM
Thursday, January 9, 2020 After School Study Hall Grades 6-8 Room 126 3:00 PM--3:45 PM
Friday, January 10, 2020 Middle School Ski Club at Nordic 3:00 PM--11:00 PM
Tuesday, January 14, 2020 After School Study Hall Grades 4-5 Room L02 3:00 PM--3:45 PM
Tuesday, January 14, 2020 Battle of the Books Room L12 3:00 PM--3:45 PM
Tuesday, January 14, 2020 After School Study Hall Grades 6-8 Room 122 3:00 PM--3:45 PM
Wednesday, January 15, 2020 Grades 4-6 Strings Dress Rehearsal Forum 1:30 PM--2:20 PM
Wednesday, January 15, 2020 Grades 5-6 Band Dress Rehearsal Forum 2:20 PM--2:45 PM
Wednesday, January 15, 2020 After School Study Hall Grades 4-5 Room L21 3:00 PM--3:45 PM
Wednesday, January 15, 2020 After School Study Hall Grades 6-8 Room 122 3:00 PM--3:45 PM
Thursday, January 16, 2020 After School Study Hall Grades 6-8 Room 126 3:00 PM--3:45 PM
Thursday, January 16, 2020 Elementary Orchestra & Band Concert (4-6 strings & 5-6 band) 6:00 PM--7:00 PM
Friday, January 17, 2020 Rockin' Decades Dance 6:00 PM--7:30 PM
Monday, January 20, 2020 NO SCHOOL - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Tuesday, January 21, 2020 After School Study Hall Grades 4-5 Room L02 3:00 PM--3:45 PM
Tuesday, January 21, 2020 Battle of the Books Room L12 3:00 PM--3:45 PM
Tuesday, January 21, 2020 After School Study Hall Grades 6-8 Room 122 3:00 PM--3:45 PM
Tuesday, January 21, 2020 Quarter 3 begins
Wednesday, January 22, 2020 After School Study Hall Grades 4-5 Room L21 3:00 PM--3:45 PM
Wednesday, January 22, 2020 Activity: After School Study Hall Grades 6-8 Room 122 3:00 PM--3:45 PM
Thursday, January 23, 2020 We Are Classical Club Room 112 3:00 PM--3:45 PM
Thursday, January 23, 2020 After School Study Hall Grades 6-8 Room 126 3:00 PM--3:45 PM
Friday, January 24, 2020 Pegasus Flyers go home today with Report Cards
Friday, January 24, 2020 Yearbook Group pictures 12:30 PM
Friday, January 24, 2020 Middle School Ski Club Nordic 3:00 PM--11:00 PM
Tuesday, January 28, 2020 After School Study Hall Grades 4-5 Room L02 3:00 PM--3:45 PM
Tuesday, January 28, 2020 Battle of the Books Room L12 3:00 PM--3:45 PM
Tuesday, January 28, 2020 After School Study Hall Grades 6-8 Room 122 3:00 PM--3:45 PM
Wednesday, January 29, 2020 Peter and the Wolf field trip (Grade 1 & 2) PAC12:30 PM
January 29, 2020 After School Study Hall Grades 4-5 Room L21 3:00 PM--3:45 PM
Wednesday, January 29, 2020 After School Study Hall Grades 6-8 Room 122 3:00 PM--3:45 PM
Thursday, January 30, 2020 After School Study Hall Grades 6-8 Room 126 3:00 PM--3:45 PM
Friday, January 31, 2020 Middle School Ski Club Nordic 3:00 PM--11:00 PM