Mrs. Ralston's Grade One Newsletter
Important Upcoming Dates
- Friday, January 15 - 11:30 am dismissal (remember to pack a snack and return Star Homework)
- Wednesday, January 20 - Fun Lunch money due.
- Friday, January 22 - 11:30 am dismissal (remember to pack a snack and return Star Homework)
- Wednesday, January 27 - Dress like your favorite book character day!
- Thursday, January 28 - Fun Lunch for those who preordered; Family Literacy Day at school (more information to come shortly).
- Friday, January 29 - Staff organizational day; no school for students.
1) Literacy: This week we were introduced to 2 new characters who will help us remember the letters and sounds that we need for reading and spelling. Have your child tell you one thing they remember about Thick Thorny Thing and Whirling Irving. Then have them tell you what sound these characters likes the best, and what letter or letter combinations represent that sound. Thick Thorny Thing (th) and Whirling Irving (er, ir, ur).
2) Sight Words: Our new sight words of the week were "this" and "were". Feel free to make new flashcards with these words to add to your current collection for Star Homework practice. Have your child teach you why the word "were" is considered a "ghost word".