First Grade Library Newsletter
Mrs. Cunningham Teacher-Librarian
What's Coming Up in Library Class?
In the coming weeks, we will be comparing fiction and non-fiction books looking for similarities and differences and looking at text features. We will also be discussing and exploring what it means to be a responsible digital citizen:
- How do I stay safe when using the internet?
- How do I search using key words?
- What is an online community?
What Have We Been Doing In First Grade Library Class?
- Using story maps for setting, characters, problem, solution.
- Understanding the parts of the library (Fiction, Non-Fiction, Everybody)
- Participating in small group and partner collaboration.
- Exploring computer coding with Hour of Code (code.org)
- Literature appreciation with Washington Children's Choice Picture Books (WCCPB)
- Self check-out of Library books and how to be a responsible borrower
- Using Kahoot! (i-Pad app) to test our comprehension after listening to a story
Scholastic Book Fair Coming Soon! "For the Love of Reading"
Monday, Feb. 22nd, 9am to Friday, Feb. 26th, 3:30pm
Sunrise Elementary Library
Author Visit-Paul Owen Lewis
Sunrise is fortunate to have the author Paul Owen Lewis visit on March 1, 2016. He will provide a whole school assembly that focuses on his life and his first book Davy's Dream. There will be two follow-up sessions at the K-2 and 3-5 levels where students will learn about writing.
He will also be available to autograph books for students and staff. As time permits he will visit classrooms for a brief Q and A session. Each student will receive an autographed picture of the author, too.