Peirce School Family Newsletter
I hope that all of you enjoyed the Thanksgiving Break and enjoyed time with family and friends. The December holiday season is upon us and the diversity of our building brings many customs and traditions that families hold true to the heart. Hanukkah, Christmas, St. Lucia, Kwanzaa are just a few to be named - Happy Holidays to all of you and enjoy the spirit of the holiday season.
The IB Learner Profile attribute of the month is "Thinker", help your child develop as a thinker through researching topics of interest, encouraging them to find answers to the questions they have vs telling them and apply prior knowledge when answering questions they may have.
Below are a few highlights from the month of November:
- Thank you to Ms. Thompson for her work with the 5th grade students on the 5th grade musical - join them on Friday, December 1st at 9:30am and 1:30pm for the final productions.
- Student Council representatives made their first report to the LSC - information from the principal focus group with student council was shared. A group of students is working on a formal survey that will be administered to students and then data analyzed and shared back to staff along with an action plan around key areas of need. Stay tuned!
- Our MYP IB Program was visited for our formal evaluation visit which takes place every 5 years, formal feedback from the visit will be shared with Peirce and Senn in January.
- Learning Celebrations were held to cap off the 1st quarter and our middle school students really enjoyed the variety of activities that took place - emphasis was around team building in the middle school.
- Thank you to all of the parents who attended our Math Parent Workshop which focused on Kindergarten-5th grades. This workshop was sponsored by our Parent Advisory Council and Bilingual Advisory Council.
- Thank you to Friends of Peirce and Wooden Spoon for organizing yet another fundraiser, which brought in $900 that will go towards our sports programs!
- Our Scholastic Book-fare was also a success with $2,000 raised that will go towards Washington D.C. Scholarships.
- A HUGE Shout out to our Junior PSO and Student Council groups for collecting canned foods and clothes/houseware items for local charities.
Happy Holidays & Cheers to 2018!
School Improvement Planning - Parent Focus Groups
A focus group for parents will be held on January 12th during the Coffee with the Principal by the school administration. Several other Peirce parents will be hosting focus groups to gather parent input. If you are interested in leading a focus group, please reach out to Principal Zaimi at LZaimi@cps.edu and information and guidance will be provided.
MAP Testing for 2nd-8th Grade Students
Cold Weather Days
School Security Protocols
In addition, if you are in need of scheduling an appointment with a staff member, you can do so through email or by calling the main office at 773-534-2440. Teachers and administration are often unable to meet with parents without a meeting that has been scheduled in advance.
Dec 6 - Urban Gateways - Storytelling Performance
Dec 7 - Pre-K IB Behind the Scenes Tours, 8:00am and 12:30pm
Dec 8 - PAC & BAC Meeting, 8:15am, Fieldhouse
Dec 8 - Edge of Sweetness Friends of Peirce Fundraiser
Dec 12 - Parent Meeting - Special Education Inclusion Workshop for all parents, 8:15am, Fieldhouse
Dec 12 - Friends of Peirce Meeting, 6:30pm, Fieldhouse
Dec 13 - Student of the Month Ceremony, 8:30am
Dec 13 - 5th Grade Exhibition Parent Meeting, 5:00pm, Gymnatorium
Dec 15 - PSO Meeting, 8:00am, Fieldhouse
Dec 15 - 4th Grade Barrel of Monkeys Performance, 10:00am, Gymnatorium
Dec 18 - Band Concert, 7:00pm, Gymnatorium
Dec 19 - 48th Ward Winter Show, 3:30 - 5:30pm, Senn High School
Dec 21 - Winter Concert, 9:00am & 1:30pm
Dec 21 - Local School Council Meeting, 6:00pm
Dec 22 - Student Council Pajama Day
Dec 25-Jan 5 Winter Break
Jan 9 - Friends of Peirce Meeting, 6:30pm, Fieldhouse
Jan 11 - Spelling Bee, 8:30am 1st/2nd, 10:00am 3rd-5th, 1:30pm 6th-8th
Jan 12 - Coffee with the Principal/School Improvement Planning Focus Group (PAC/BAC Mtg)
Jan 15 - No School
Jan 17 - Student of the Month, 8:15am, Gymnatorium
Jan 18 - Local School Council Meeting, 6:00pm, Gymnatorium
Jan 19 - Peirce Service Organization Meeting, 8:00am, Fieldhouse
Jan 22-26 Great Kindness Challenge Week
Jan 23 - 8th Grade Graduation Pictures
Jan 23 - Box Tops Collected
Jan 24 - Papa Johns Fundraiser
Jan 24 - Papa Johns Fundraiser
Jan 25 - International Dance Night
Jan 26 - Restorative Approaches to Discipline Parent Workshop, 8:15am