Cougar Courier Times
Kutz Elementary School's Bimonthly Newsletter
January 15, 2016
- No School for Students - Monday, January 18th
- Kutz MLK Day of Service - Monday, January 18th
- Chick-Fil-A Spirit Night - Tuesday, January 19th
- Me & My Gal Minute to Win It Event - Friday, January 22nd - 6:30PM
- Early Dismissal/End of 2nd Marking Period - Tuesday, January 26th
- Kutz Blood Drive - Tuesday, January 26th - 2PM-7PM - Kutz Gym
- Science Fair - March 21st - Start thinking about your projects!!!
Winter Weather & Recess
The National Nurses’ Association has established the following guidelines for outdoor recess during the winter months:
*Feels like 25 degrees and above (considers wind chill factor) - Outdoor recess
*Feels like 16 - 25 degrees (considers wind chill factor) – Abbreviated Outdoor Recess to 10 - 15 minutes
*Feels like 15 degrees or below (considers wind chill factor) - Inside recess
Please remember to send your children to school each day with coats, hats, and gloves. Older students may think a sweatshirt will keep them warm, but over a thirty minute recess, a sweatshirt does not provide the insulation needed to keep children comfortable.
2016 Kutz Geography Bee
Kutz Elementary recently held its 11th annual Geography Bee. Congratulations to our champion, Sean Kostic! This is Sean’s third straight school title. Hats off to all our finalists!
-Fourth Grade: Jacob Stern, Eddie Rafalowski, Luca Ghisu, David Tomlinson
-Fifth Grade: Ella Graban, Jason Wu, Kerrigan Moran, Jack Sawyer
-Sixth Grade: Julian Rosenfeld, Sean Kostic, Aidan Young, Charlie Casey
Free Microsoft Office for CB Students
Central Bucks School District has partnered with Microsoft to offer Microsoft Office 365 to students in Grades 5-12. Office 365's productivity suite enables students and teachers to share documents, access Microsoft software applications online and work collaboratively. As the district increases both teacher and student access to educational technology, we wanted to remind you of a great opportunity.
Microsoft Office is available free for students in grades 5-12. Students may want to take the opportunity to install the full Office applications on up to 5 PCs, Macs or tablets for free. This includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote. Students can learn more about the process here: http://www.cbsd.org/365
Once downloaded, students can work with classmates online and see each other's changes in real time with Office Online, the full version of Office or OneDrive.
Cyberbullying Prevention Presentation for Parents
Network of Victim’s Assistance, or NOVA, is a valuable resource for our school district and the community, offering resources and personal safety education programs. They have presented to our students for almost 20 years. NOVA will once again be bringing their cyberbullying prevention program to all Central Bucks 5th grade students this January and February.
Please join us for a parent informational session on cyberbullying on Wednesday, February 10th, at 7:00 pm at Groveland Elementary School, 100 North Easton Road, Doylestown, PA 18901. Parents and guardians of students in all elementary grade levels are invited. The snow date is Thursday, March 3rd.
Topics will include:
- An overview of the NOVA cyberbullying prevention program presented to 5th graders
- Current trends in Social Media, free message Apps, and online gaming
- Examples, tips for parents, and Q&A with Detective Sergeant Dante Montella, Warwick Township Police Department
We hope you will join us for this important presentation.
CB East's Young Engineers' Night
Kutz Home & School Association
Kutz Home & School Association
To help streamline communication between school and home, we will be putting all important Kutz information in Dr. Garvin’s Kutz Cougar Times. This means enotes will no longer be published weekly and the information will now be found in Dr. Garvin’s Kutz Cougar Times. The Cougar Times is sent out on the 15th and 30th/31st of each month. All email address updates and/or additions will be done through the parent portal.
Please let us know if you have any questions.
Me & My Gal
The Me and My Gal Minute to win it game night is sure to be an exciting evening for the Kutz community.
To help with the success of the evening we are looking for some donations and volunteers. Remember, even the smallest donation is the biggest help.
All items should be sent in by Monday, January 18th. All food items can be dropped off the day of the event.
Click here to sign up.
Make a new year's resolution to save a life!
Please consider donating blood at the Kutz blood drive, which will take place 2-7 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 26, in the cafeteria.
Advanced registration is preferred, but walk-ins are welcome.
If you or someone you know would like to register, go to www.redcrossblood.org and use sponsor code kutz.
You can also call 1-800-RED-CROSS or
contact Sandy Hogenauer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
School Board Briefs - January 12, 2016
At the January 12, 2016 School Board meeting the Central Bucks School District School Board:
Approved the minutes of the December 1, 2015 reorganization and school board meeting.
Heard the Superintendent’s Report:
- Student Athlete Recognition: Jake Brophy, CB East Senior, was recognized and received a Certificate of Athletic Achievement for record-breaking achievement in Cross Country, for outstanding representation of his school, school district, and state as an athlete and an individual.
- Meritorious Budget Award to the Business Department: Mr. Doug Peters, K-12 Regional Vice President of Voya Financial, presented the Business Office with the Meritorious Budget Award from the Association of School Business Officials International (ASBO). (Voya sponsors the award nationally).This award was created to recognize school districts that present their budgets in a manner that promote clarity, transparency, and accountability.
- School Board Recognition: January is School Director Recognition Month
- This Month in Central Bucks video
- QUEST Update
Received the BCIU Board minutes.
Approved the change made in School Board Policy 006 – Meetings.
Approved the November 30, 2015, December 10, 2015, December 15, 2015, December 23, 2015, December 31, 2015, and January 7, 2016 General Fund check disbursements; the December 4, 2015, December 10, 2015, and December 29, 20515 Capital Fund check disbursements; and the December 4, 2015 and December 28, 2015 Food Service check disbursements.
Approved various personnel items, student trips, and staff conferences/workshops.
Received a Sabbatical Leave of Absence as an information item and discussed the 2016-2017 Draft School Calendar. The 2016-2017 school calendar will be voted on at the January 26, 2016 school board meeting.